• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

President Barack Hussein Obama

Sir Codin

Not unless you either convince the parties to work together on issues or you turn America into a true democracy, because this is unfortunately one of the more irritating roadblocks you can encounter in a Constitutional Republic.

Last edited:
Years
Well, the debt issue is not merely a debtor/creditor issues by any means.

The Fed reserve must print more money in order to fund operations.
Once more money is printed, the wealth of the nation stays constant, and therefore the value of the dollar decreases.

When the dollar decreases in value, prices go up. When prices go up, while wages and salaries remain constant (hyperinflation), the ability for constituents to pay for commodities decreases, which is not desirable for the economy or the individual. Thus, to supplement this loss in ability, the Fed prints off more money, hands it to the agencies after Congress delegates funds (or allows for a continuing resolution). Therefore it is in the best interest of the affluent and impoverished alike to have a balanced budget; in order to do so, programs and agencies need to be cut. Cutting programs, of course, causes the general public to become upset, since they do not understand the long-term risks of continued deficit spending, and how in the short-term, it is decreasing their wages and salaries as it relates to inflated prices.Thus, democratic institutions are structured in a way that inhibit the best governance.

The President has, recently allowed for discussion with fiscal conservatives on the matter, which is great, but it has taken him four years+ to begin compromising. So, the debt ceiling is a bit arbitrary in the quantity it was set to, however, the underlying idea is not a mere frivolous self-inflicting wound. That is not to say all funding for programs should be eliminated or cut, since some programs may help bolster the economy. Though, entitlement spending without a doubt must be cut in order to balance the budget, and actually allow for impoverished people to be able to work and sustain themselves independently. For those who cannot be self-reliant, such as those with SEVERE chronic illnesses and certain cognitive impairments, entitlements should be reserved since they cannot sustain themselves independently without entitlements.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
So, the debt ceiling is a bit arbitrary in the quantity it was set to, however, the underlying idea is not a mere frivolous self-inflicting wound.
I agreed with most everything you said, except for this.

The debt ceiling is goofy. Only one other country has such a measure. It doesn't inhibit spending, it affects the nation's ability to borrow money. Money to pay for expenditures already incurred, not future or proposed spending. Doesn't stop you from spending more and raking up the debt, only paying it off through borrowed money.

There is a budget that is passed, or more recently a series of continuing resolutions - but that should be the approval. If congress approves the spending, they shouldn't then have to approve how much deficit is incurred from the spending they just approved. Shouldn't that have been considered when they made the first decision?

It ends up looking more like wanting something without having to pay for it.

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
I have one question. Why do we always have to refer to Obama with his middle name? Obama does not use his middle name. Just because some right-wing evangelicals think the name Hussein is offensive, doesn't mean everyone who's not Muslim does.

I think he's okay.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I have one question. Why do we always have to refer to Obama with his middle name? Obama does not use his middle name. Just because some right-wing evangelicals think the name Hussein is offensive, doesn't mean everyone who's not Muslim does.

I think he's okay.
I've no clue.

But, I like how he uses it in self-deprecating humour like at the correspondent's dinners

Back