• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Kalos Crystal - Completed ROM Hack (Unova Red sequel)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
I guess I should have figured. Speaking of which how and why is Sylveon available but no eevee at all? I mean a wild sylveon is nice but its very very unusual to have it but no Eevee or other Eeveelutions. Still, your choice in the end of course.

I highly recommend you change up some dialogue to fit the new pokemon in the game, I noticed some NPC trainers such as Youngster Joey and Wade the Bug Catcher still utter the lines they have in their vanilla interactions, Joey praising his rattata as the best. and what not. Sure its not necessary but it ultimately makes your project feel more natural. Similarly with the replacement of slowpoke with Stunfisk, perhaps changing the reason why Team Rocket is taking the Stunfisk might be smart since it would be more reasonable for them to hack off slowpoketails than stunfisk tails, since a lot of the newer pokemon don't have a lot of lore packed into them and fish typically die if they lose bodyparts. Theres likely to be a number of other discrepencies too but thats off the top of my head. I figured I'd touch on this since it could help to make your hack feel like a different story while maintaining the feel and flow of the original crystal

Also a number of the legendary pokemon almost don't make sense with their location. Landorus especially. I would have expected him to be possibly the one you encounter at Tin Tower in place of Suicune personally.

The Sylveon thing was mainly because I wanted to keep it exclusively Gen 5 and 6. It kinda started with Unova Red, which was an idea of what Gen 1 would have been like using exclusively the Unova Mons (as Unova was my personal favorite region). Then I thought about Gen 6, how it added new Pokemon and a new type similarly to when Gen 2 first came out, and got the idea of doing a Crystal hack with the "newly discovered" Pokemon being Gen 6. So I didn't want to just add in Eevee randomly, but I wanted to keep Sylveon, as it's a pretty iconic Gen 6 Pokemon, so I kinda compromised. Plus, it gave me something to use for that particular encounter, which I was kinda struggling to figure out.

I thought I'd changed all of the Pokemon specific dialogue to only talk about the G5-6 Pokemon, but it looks like I missed some. Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can fix that in an update.

As for the legendaries thing, I wanted the Tin Tower mon to be Zygarde so that the big legendary trio would mirror the box legendaries from Gen 2. I also kinda thought it would be weird if Landorus was the big important Legendary everyone was looking for, Zygarde seemed to fit the bill a lot better. There's some dialogue with some of the Ecruteak NPCs to explain why those three were in the tower, I had to come up with a new backstory, lol. Oh, and Landorus being in place of Snorlax was kind of a throwback to Unova Red, as Tornadus and Thundurus were the Snorlaxes in that game.

Thanks for the feedback though, hope you are enjoying it!

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Online now
The Sylveon thing was mainly because I wanted to keep it exclusively Gen 5 and 6. It kinda started with Unova Red, which was an idea of what Gen 1 would have been like using exclusively the Unova Mons (as Unova was my personal favorite region). Then I thought about Gen 6, how it added new Pokemon and a new type similarly to when Gen 2 first came out, and got the idea of doing a Crystal hack with the "newly discovered" Pokemon being Gen 6. So I didn't want to just add in Eevee randomly, but I wanted to keep Sylveon, as it's a pretty iconic Gen 6 Pokemon, so I kinda compromised. Plus, it gave me something to use for that particular encounter, which I was kinda struggling to figure out.

I thought I'd changed all of the Pokemon specific dialogue to only talk about the G5-6 Pokemon, but it looks like I missed some. Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can fix that in an update.

As for the legendaries thing, I wanted the Tin Tower mon to be Zygarde so that the big legendary trio would mirror the box legendaries from Gen 2. I also kinda thought it would be weird if Landorus was the big important Legendary everyone was looking for, Zygarde seemed to fit the bill a lot better. There's some dialogue with some of the Ecruteak NPCs to explain why those three were in the tower, I had to come up with a new backstory, lol. Oh, and Landorus being in place of Snorlax was kind of a throwback to Unova Red, as Tornadus and Thundurus were the Snorlaxes in that game.

Thanks for the feedback though, hope you are enjoying it!

if it helps it appears to be mainly in the phone conversations regarding the vanilla interactions with NPCs. So changing Rattata/Raticate to Patrat/Watchog for example shouldn't be much trouble, same with any other instance for other phone conversations in the game.

As I said before the only real greivence on this is the fact Team Rocket is cutting off the tails of Stunfisk, as that logically makes no sense at all. Slowpoke it would make sense to shed their tail without harm since they are based off salamanders which were once thought to be lizards, and lizards can shed their tail as a defense mechanism. Fish meanwhile if they lost their tails would be unable to swim and would definitely die.

MAJOR EDIT: I made it to ekruteak gym and Morty refers to HO-OH in his monologue before the battle instead of Zygarde.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Online now
sorry for the double post but it would be nice to have a list of egg moves for the pokemon in this game. In the original G/S/C the egg move listings were kind of meager due to the game software and hardware limitations of the GBC, and as such I'm curious of what egg moves Zorua specifically can get. It would help to have documentation in the future involving this if its possible

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
sorry for the double post but it would be nice to have a list of egg moves for the pokemon in this game. In the original G/S/C the egg move listings were kind of meager due to the game software and hardware limitations of the GBC, and as such I'm curious of what egg moves Zorua specifically can get. It would help to have documentation in the future involving this if its possible

Hey, sorry it took a while to get back with you. I'll get a document of the egg moves uploaded soon, as for Zorua, its egg moves are just Counter and Detect, so not too much to choose from.

EDIT: Here's the link to the Egg moves doc. It's also been added to the full zip file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8p8foh2xa8mur9b/egg_moves.txt

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
UPDATE:

IPS Patch in download file has been updated. This update fixes some minor graphical issues (fixed color on Karrablast and Oshawott back sprites and fixed Serperior to use the proper back sprite image). Also, a bug has been fixed where evolving a Pokemon with a rare candy could cause crashing. This particular bugfix involved reworking the Pokemon animation engine, so saves made on the older patches may not work on this new patch. Also, a list of TMs learnable by each Pokemon has been added to the docs. Please let me know if any errors are discovered, thanks!

Link here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1wxza9gcrfd75g6/Kalos+Crystal.zip

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 2, 2020
This is a great hack so far! It's really reminding me how quality many of these pokemon designs were and how much people would like them more if they had been introduced in say Gen I or II. My only comment would be an option to increase the level curve of this game simply because G/S/C's leveling is so off and given the incredible diversity of options you provide from the get go, it would present more of a challenge if the leveling was edited slightly.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
This is a great hack so far! It's really reminding me how quality many of these pokemon designs were and how much people would like them more if they had been introduced in say Gen I or II. My only comment would be an option to increase the level curve of this game simply because G/S/C's leveling is so off and given the incredible diversity of options you provide from the get go, it would present more of a challenge if the leveling was edited slightly.

Thanks! I have been thinking of maybe doing a "challenge mode" patch like I did with Unova Red, since Gen 2 is really lax in its difficulty curve. Been holding off mostly until I can figure out how to get rid of the occasional graphical issues on certain Pokemon, but I may just go ahead and put out an increased level patch sooner rather than later. Will update the thread if/when it is ready. Thanks again!

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Love the hack, but I have an issue I'd like addressed if possible.

The main issue is that... can you please remove Thief from all level-up movesets, and make it exclusively available via TM / Egg moves / whatever? If an enemy Pokemon uses Thief in Gen 2, and takes your item, you actually lose it permanently instead of just for one battle. I permanently lost my Amulet Coin (and both a Charcoal and Metal Coat) because of this.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Love the hack, but I have an issue I'd like addressed if possible.

The main issue is that... can you please remove Thief from all level-up movesets, and make it exclusively available via TM / Egg moves / whatever? If an enemy Pokemon uses Thief in Gen 2, and takes your item, you actually lose it permanently instead of just for one battle. I permanently lost my Amulet Coin (and both a Charcoal and Metal Coat) because of this.

Ah, that's a good point. I'll see what I can do about that.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 28, 2020
Where can I find the last starter ? I destroyed Red at Mt. Silver (last rival battle?), but there is no third starter at Indigo Plateau...
Otherwise great hack, lots of fun, congratulations ! I also play Unova Red and Unova Red Challenge, these are great too, excellent feeling of the first gen games.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Where can I find the last starter ? I destroyed Red at Mt. Silver (last rival battle?), but there is no third starter at Indigo Plateau...
Otherwise great hack, lots of fun, congratulations ! I also play Unova Red and Unova Red Challenge, these are great too, excellent feeling of the first gen games.

If you go to Mt. Moon, you will find the Rival, and he will battle you (this is rival battle #6). If you beat him here, then the next time you go to Indigo Plateau and go towards the Elite 4 entrance, the Rival will appear and challenge you. If you beat him here (battle #7), he will offer the last starter (if you have no room in party, you can come back to that spot and he will appear again).

Thanks!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Ayee, I'm planning on trying this and I just wanted to ask if there's an increase in difficulty like the gym leaders having better movesets and all that jazz.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Ayee, I'm planning on trying this and I just wanted to ask if there's an increase in difficulty like the gym leaders having better movesets and all that jazz.

I didn't originally plan a difficulty increase (wanted to keep a similar feel + was still very new to PokeCrystal at the time), though I have seriously considered a difficulty update more recently. Just got to find time to spare from my current hack, lol, but if there's interest, I'd definitely do it at some point.

Though the current version does have a stronger E4 when fought after the first time, so there's that.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 17, 2022
How do the shield form/blade form mechanics for Aegislash translate over into Kalos Crystal?

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I didn't originally plan a difficulty increase (wanted to keep a similar feel + was still very new to PokeCrystal at the time), though I have seriously considered a difficulty update more recently. Just got to find time to spare from my current hack, lol, but if there's interest, I'd definitely do it at some point.

Though the current version does have a stronger E4 when fought after the first time, so there's that.

I think having a higher difficulty curve with the running shoes as well as the 60 fps feature would be a solid update.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 15, 2023
Can someone please tell me where can I get a larvesta other than in celadon game corner cause the paper says 10% with headbutt in ilex forest but I got like 20 swadloons(5%) than 1 larvesta ?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Can someone please tell me where can I get a larvesta other than in celadon game corner cause the paper says 10% with headbutt in ilex forest but I got like 20 swadloons(5%) than 1 larvesta ?

Larvesta is a 10% encounter in the Rare trees in Ilex Forest. If you read the Tree Encounters document, you'll be able to see that the Common and Rare trees have different encounters (particularly in Ilex Forest, they are very different from each other).

There is no obvious way to tell which trees are Common and which are Rare, it is assigned by the game based on Trainer ID (this is the case in Vanilla Gen 2 as well). The best way is to headbutt trees until you find one that has an encounter that is only listed in the Rare trees. Then you'll know that tree is a Rare tree. Keep headbutting that one until you find your Larvesta.

Back