• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Red and Blue Deluxe

Should monsters have Generation 2-styled front sprites?

• Yes

Votes: 371 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 81 17.9%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
So, here with a little status update on 1.07. The Gen 2 sprites patch is coming along well.. but I've run into a bit of a snag. There's not enough quality devamps out there to completely fill the roster in this game. The following 9 Pokemon do not have Gen 2 devamps available:

Spoiler:

I'm no spriter, so as a result, the Gen 2 sprites patch is currently in limbo. Basically, I could release the patch anyway, but I'm highly uncomfortable with doing so. That said, at the time this post was made there were 19 pokemon without a sprite, the count is only 9 now. So right now, I'm looking for people skilled in devamping sprites. If you think we can work something out, shoot me a post in this thread (or in PM, if you prefer)!

Now, what does this mean for 1.07? Well, if no progress is done with the Gen 2 front sprite patch by the end of the month, I may skip its inclusion in 1.07. 1.07 will (hopefully) feature a fixed Amulet Coin and the inclusion of Pokemon #255. The remaining documents yet to be released will be released along with the Github source when either 1.07 or 1.08 is out, I'm really waiting for the Gen 2 patch to be completed before I pull the trigger on that (plus, I sorta need to organize the source code more). That said, 1.07 will be out guaranteed within this month. The OP will be updated with these details.

EDIT: I also forgot to include - there will likely be two separate patches. One for Gen 1 front sprites and one for Gen 2 front sprites. More on this later.
EDIT2: I actually just managed to knock the sprite to-do list down to 9. That amount is still pretty high but manageable; I may pull the trigger on a slightly unfinished release. We'll see.

Thanks for the quick response. I will catch and train pichu in the future and wait for my clefary to get moonblast since i am on challenge mode, in the meantime danzing gleam is doing a great job. I am only having problems with the tms since I dont know witch one it is before purchasing. Since you added new moves witch generation list should I use? Also is charizard still the best HM slave option? Considering I will need only strenght, Fly and Cut

Generation list? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. ^^;

Charizard is a good HM slave but unless you hate using starters, there's better options for HM slaves out there.

Where in the safari zone is scyther? I've spent hours looking for him, I've caught 2 heracross in blue looking for him.

Scyther is in this area.

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Updated Battle Screen, part of the Gen 2 Graphics Patch:
TjCZYE6.png
L8FMGHA.png
fW7XWk9.png

Colorized Overworld, part of the Gen 2 Graphics Patch:
0KeZycE.png
80enzav.png
HMam4dV.png
eD4nhvH.png

Sorry for being kind of picky, but I want to eliminate as much confusion as possible. You link to the "Full Color Hack" but call it the "Gen 2 Graphics Patch" but they are actually two separate hacks.

The Gen 2 Graphics Patch was made only by me and is still a Super Gameboy game, like original red.

The Full Color Hack was started by FroggestSpirit, finished by Drenn, and updated by me. This hack turns red into a Gameboy Color game and no longer a Super Gameboy game, and also incorporates a lot of my custom code from the Gen 2 Graphics Patch, like the battle hud, exp bar, etc.

It would also probably be more useful for the PokeCommunity members if you linked to the threads for these hacks, and not the source code.

Gen 2 Graphics Patch:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=294686

Full Color Hack:
http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3399/

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
Sorry for being kind of picky, but I want to eliminate as much confusion as possible. You link to the "Full Color Hack" but call it the "Gen 2 Graphics Patch" but they are actually two separate hacks.

The Gen 2 Graphics Patch was made only by me and is still a Super Gameboy game, like original red.

The Full Color Hack was started by FroggestSpirit, finished by Drenn, and updated by me. This hack turns red into a Gameboy Color game and no longer a Super Gameboy game, and also incorporates a lot of my custom code from the Gen 2 Graphics Patch, like the battle hud, exp bar, etc.

It would also probably be more useful for the PokeCommunity members if you linked to the threads for these hacks, and not the source code.

Gen 2 Graphics Patch:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=294686

Full Color Hack:
http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3399/

Nah, you're fine! Anyway, that first bit is probably my fault for coming up with the OP so fast, oops! Fixed in any case.

Updated the links with the links to the project topics themselves. Thank you!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
1.07 is out, way ahead of schedule, which will be explained at the end of this post.

1.07 includes the much-desired Gen 2 front sprites while keeping the option to use the Gen 1 front sprites, satisfying both sides of the party. Yay! Due to the quick release however, as you could imagine, the 9 Pokemon that do not have Gen 2 front sprites still don't have them. 1.07 also features a reworked Amulet Coin method, thus fixing the issue.

BvQfIr2.png
kXDpzKu.png
qVAXmjj.png

Additionally, I learned the hard way that Pokemon #255 is not completely functional; hell, it doesn't even appear when you have it in your party. To avoid conflicts, I decided to can the concept altogether. Sorry! I may look into it again when I have less issues going on IRL.

As promised, the Github Source is now publically available. All documents that were previously unavailable are now available. Essentially, this is the full release of RBDX, and a "final" version by any other name: I'm keeping it as Beta because I'm fairly certain I'll still be updating this over time with more stuff.

Also, save files are available for both versions now. These are save files with competitive-ready Pokemon for TGB Dual battling. All final evolutions are available. Give it a shot if you're into that kind of thing.

My internet is currently running the risk of being turned off due to an unpaid family cable bill; so I may not be able to respond to posts until February. This is the reason 1.07 has been released this early as well.

Last edited:

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
I'm not much of a spriter either, but I saw you need a few devamped sprites so I thought I'd do a really easy one with Shellos. I only did the west form, tried doing the east but hit some issues regarding the palette, might finish later and post it as well.

tq1tVfO.png

They aren't the best but I worked at them until I felt they'd be satisfactory for someone without an alternative.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
Wasn't sure how to go about Golurk but this was the result I ended up with. Usually pretty good at devamping newer sprites, but that's usually for ones that have Gen 2 equivalent sprites I could reference:

3vtPscA.png

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
http://vocaroo.com/i/s181erzHM7O4 - Look at this... I make demix of FRLG Kanto Wild battle theme. Are you intrested for midi of them?

This is a nice demix, but I'm set when it comes to music. Thanks though!

Is there a list of thigs to do after you beat the elite four?

• Catch all 252 (254) Pokemon, get the Diploma and Shiny Charm
  • Rematch the Gym Leaders
  • Rematch the Elite Four
  • Beat the secret trainer at the end of the Elite Four rematches
  • Battle Factory
  • Battle Tent

I'm not much of a spriter either, but I saw you need a few devamped sprites so I thought I'd do a really easy one with Shellos. I only did the west form, tried doing the east but hit some issues regarding the palette, might finish later and post it as well.

tq1tVfO.png

They aren't the best but I worked at them until I felt they'd be satisfactory for someone without an alternative.

This is fantastic! I'll definitely be using this, thank you so much!

Wasn't sure how to go about Golurk but this was the result I ended up with. Usually pretty good at devamping newer sprites, but that's usually for ones that have Gen 2 equivalent sprites I could reference:

3vtPscA.png

Good effort, but there's too much dithering for me to be able to accept this. Thanks, though!

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
It's all good, figured that was a possibility. Was trying to find the balance between no shading and just enough. Guess I went past that.

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
I'm very glad you like the sprite. I finished east Shellos as well; I ultimately decided to just use two shades of blue instead of trying to mix both blue and green in the mix. I think it overall worked out, but I wasn't sure about the stomach so I did two versions. one is a simpler white stomach like west Shellos, which makes it stand out more but isn't as accurate to the design, the other has it darker to be closer to east Shellos' green stomach, but it has the issue of blending in too much with its back. Whichever version you prefer is fine.

I also fixed a minor sprite issue with west Shellos where I forgot to recolor one part and it broke the color limit as a result.
jGGzopW.png

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
I'm very glad you like the sprite. I finished east Shellos as well; I ultimately decided to just use two shades of blue instead of trying to mix both blue and green in the mix. I think it overall worked out, but I wasn't sure about the stomach so I did two versions. one is a simpler white stomach like west Shellos, which makes it stand out more but isn't as accurate to the design, the other has it darker to be closer to east Shellos' green stomach, but it has the issue of blending in too much with its back. Whichever version you prefer is fine.

I also fixed a minor sprite issue with west Shellos where I forgot to recolor one part and it broke the color limit as a result.
jGGzopW.png

East Shellos looks fantastic! I'll try both versions and see which fits better.

Where are the Lucky Egg and Amulet Coin located?

Lucky Egg is found upstairs in the Route 16 gate entrance to cycling road via Oak's Aide. You need 40 Pokemon. Amulet Coin is found in the Route 10 Pokemon Center via Oak's Aide as well, you need 20 Pokemon.

Years
Alright. My friend and I just completed nuzlockes of the game and we wanted to battle our final teams. Unfortunately, TGBDual has been desynching so we gave up on that. Good luck getting the server back up.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2017
Are the Gen VI starters included?
Fantastic work, I'm most excited to play it in Color of all things aha.

Bernardo1994

~NeW PassionS~
Years
Hey, where can I capture Slowpoke on the Blue DX version?
Also I still need to fight/capture Amaura, Tyrant, Omastar (I got the Dome Fossil), Smochum and #238 which I have no clue to what poke it might be.
I really want to complete the dex so can you give me a heads up to the locations?
Great hack BTW :)

EDIT: I found the Tyrant and Helix Fossil's in the Battle Factory but I still need Amaura.
EDIT2: After a while in the Battle Factory I managed to see Smochum which happened to be #238. Now I only need #213 (Schuckle?), Mew and Amaura to complete the dex, any clues?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
Alright. My friend and I just completed nuzlockes of the game and we wanted to battle our final teams. Unfortunately, TGBDual has been desynching so we gave up on that. Good luck getting the server back up.

Weird that TGB would be desynching... hmm. Well, the server is now back up!

Are the Gen VI starters included?
Fantastic work, I'm most excited to play it in Color of all things aha.

Only set of starters available are the Generation I starters.

Hey, where can I capture Slowpoke on the Blue DX version?
Also I still need to fight/capture Amaura, Tyrant, Omastar (I got the Dome Fossil), Smochum and #238 which I have no clue to what poke it might be.
I really want to complete the dex so can you give me a heads up to the locations?
Great hack BTW :)

EDIT: I found the Tyrant and Helix Fossil's in the Battle Factory but I still need Amaura.
EDIT2: After a while in the Battle Factory I managed to see Smochum which happened to be #238. Now I only need #213 (Schuckle?), Mew and Amaura to complete the dex, any clues?

Amaura is found in the Safari Warden's house if you're playing Blue (Tyrunt if you're playing Red).

After getting 252 Pokemon, go grab the diploma. Mew and Pokemon #213 will be available to you. Check Cerulean Cave (where Mewtwo was) for Mew, and check the Pewter Museum for Pokemon #213.

Back