• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Contests

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Pok%C3%A9mon%20Ruby%20%28US%29_04.png

Though they've had their many different forms, the original contests from Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald are pretty amusing concepts. Choosing between five categories: CUTE, COOL, BEAUTY, TOUGH, and SMART, you can showcase your Pokémon's best qualities in any way you seem fit! During the appeal rounds, you use moves accordingly, thinking about what kind of contest it is, as well as your 'position' in the round.

So, what did you think? Did you have fun in contests during their first incarnation? Do like them more or less than their revivals in later games? What Pokémon and strategies did you enjoy using?

Years
I love the contests and wish they would come back. It gives you something very different to do that can become an alternative path to raise pokemon for. It was very satisfying for me to annihilate npcs in Emerald with a Jigglypuff in toughness contests and give interviews afterwards.

I think contests are a great idea that I would like to see them continue to develop. Perhaps in later generations they will add components that closer resemble the anime.

I think RSE was a good introduction to contests yet I enjoy basically how they evolved in later generations. One thing I do miss from the original Hoenn games is berry blending. I am always up for a mini-game, and you had to get a fair score if you wanted a good quality pokeblock to give your pokemon. This tradition is continued in Sinnoh, where baking poffins are substituted instead, but I was a little sad that Oras took the game away. I preferred that my food could be a culinary masterpiece or burn if I made a mistake, rather than preparing itself magically with one click of the button.

I like the beautiful graphics of the Oras contests, and that they postponed getting your ribbon until you mastered rank and made you work harder in that respect. I also loved introducing Lisia as a new character that personalizes your adventures in the contests more. I would have liked a little more development, and seeing Wallace some more but still fun. Above else I love cosplay Pikachu, that is brilliant!

Overall though I think I might like Sinnoh Contests best, even though I have always preferred Hoenn as a region. Sinnoh contests have the most components, as with all contests you have to plan an appropriate moveset, win the audiences over with your enhanced condition and appeal with the right move at the right time. How you cooked still mattered back then though too, and on top of that Sinnoh introduced a dance phase of the talent competion. You also had to collect accessories and dress up your Pokemon to look good.

With trainer customization being a introduced in gen 6 I think fashion was more important than ever in the world of Pokemon and would have liked to have styled other Pokemon in Oras for contests just like you can style a Furfrou. Or at least let us decorate them with the fashion case again. Would not mind being able to pick clothes for myself either.

Who knows? Maybe when when we get Diamond and pass remakes we some of that will come to pass...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I actually liked the contests. I've only participated in contests in Gen 3 and never participated in later generations. I have used alot of Pokemon in contests. When I would sign up for the cute contest, I would pick a Pokemon that has more cute moves, when I would sign up for cool contest, I would pick a Pokemon that has more cool moves etc.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I like the contests, but I'm not good at them and I've never played expecting good results. I'm far too lazy to max a certain category or make a contest move set, so I try going into the easier ones in hopes of getting lucky and winning a medal.

The contests in gen 3 are memorable enough for me to remember the soundtrack, but for some reason I don't remember anything about the contests in later gens.

LunarLavender

Veteran Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2018
I loved the contests when they first came out. It may be because of pure nostalgia but the format in RSE was very simplistic. in the reboots of Ruby and Sapphire kind of dimmed the aspect of the contests a bit, in my opinion. I understand that it is a competition, but it seems like more like sun and moon's battle royale. Where if you ranked up those 'stats' it actually becomes fun.

What made it fun, was the berry blending and the poffin cooking. Like VisionofMilotic, I do enjoy the minigames. It kinda made it worth the time spent making all of the pokeblocks and poffins to raise the contest stats.

Years
I LOVE pokemon contests! In fact, I most enjoyed watching May and Dawn during their contest performances in the anime when I was younger.

To be honest, if I was in the Pokemon world I would absolutely become a Pokemon coordinator rather than a generic trainer, and I've always lowkey wanted a game entirely focused on contests.

In my opinion contests in the anime are much more enticing, however, I loved entering contests in Pearl/Platnium, as well as in ORAS. My startegy was simply just feeding my pokemon a crazy amount of Pokebloc/poffins and just winging it.

Back