• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon FireRed Minus (GBC demake)

Years
This week's update! I changed the tiles a little bit for Pokemon Mansion. Not only did I change the color of the walls and floor to make it resemble FRLG more, i also tweaked some of the wall sprites to make them "flow" better. to see what i mean, compare the corners of the Gym and the Mansion. I was thinking of going back and adding this upgrade to some other maps that use this tileset. What do you guys think?
e8neYAb.png
ms6XlDM.png

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Spoiler:

Looks really nice! I would like for you to use the old pillars instead of the cardboard boxes though, since you're willing to use custom tileset colors.

Years
Are you planing switch FRLG Overworld sprites for GBC one?

yes, its mentioned in the OP

Spoiler:

Looks really nice! I would like for you to use the old pillars instead of the cardboard boxes though, since you're willing to use custom tileset colors.

This is what the tileset wouldve translated to in GSC. I never really saw them as strictly cardboard boxes, but they do only get used that way in gen 2. I created a mockup of your suggestion and I suppose it does resemble the FRLG map more, so I'll go ahead and change them.

Years
This here's a special update only not really. February marks the first anniversary of the start of this hack! I am probably the most excited for this hack and can't wait til it's done. There are only a handful of areas left before I can move on to the next stage. This also means I'm getting closer to the inevitable roadblock I'm going to hit once I reach more advanced hacking topics.
This week's update is the Power Plant along with a re-tiled Pokemon Tower. The Tower has been causing a lot of uncertainty for me. Since there is really no comparable area in Gen 2, I had no guidelines for this area. I'm not really a fan of the blue border blocks you see in the screenshot, but I wanted to stay true to the game's original palette. Initially I used FRLG's palette which included purple and green, but I couldn't reasonably say that it fit with the entire rest of the game.

uxrhEog.png
65BXhKB.png

Years
Happy Pokémon Day everybody! We're nearing the last few stages of the mapping. The only two areas left are the Pokemon League and Cerulean cave (plus an underground path i forgot about)
8CXUrr5.png

Years
Any news for this month? Can't wait to play this hack! Btw, how about the scriptings?

no, nothing really. I've been slackin but I can probably do the Pokemon League tomorrow. When the last map is finished, I can work on the scripts but only stuff like rival encounters and door switches. Probably the most complicated will be the Pokemon Center healing animation and the SS Anne departure.

Years
Hey y'all. I'm back with an update. Possibly the last map-related one. I can't reasonably recreate the Pokemon League entrance room 1:1 since the trade room is no longer located on that floor. I could use gen 2's layout but I think this is better since it takes cues from all three.

aRLP0q1.png

I'm unsure of what style to use for the League members' rooms. The RBY designs are fine, but I've always wanted to face Loreli in an actual ice room. Plus I always thought it was weird how Will essentially has her old room, but Bruno has a brand new one with lava.

Trainer 766

it could be more good if you make this hack in gba..

then the name you can set can be : Pokemon FireRed Plus :)

The title of this game is Pokemon FireRed Minus(GBC Demake). What do you think MINUS and DEMAKE mean?

If you want it to be a GBA one, it's literally just the normal vanilla FireRed.

Years
I'm finally getting into adjusting some scripts and it wasn't as impossible as I thought. I've managed to figure things out here and there but I'm not so sure about others. If anyone has experience modifying the first event with Oak, the Pokemon Center healing animation, or whiting out back to the player's house I'd appreciate your assistance!

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I'm finally getting into adjusting some scripts and it wasn't as impossible as I thought. I've managed to figure things out here and there but I'm not so sure about others. If anyone has experience modifying the first event with Oak, the Pokemon Center healing animation, or whiting out back to the player's house I'd appreciate your assistance!

I've not worked with Gen III for a while but I think as far as Oak goes you're better off inserting a new script. What's the issue with whiting out? If it's just coordinates that should be simple. Couldn't help with the PC though.

I also tried to do this myself in FR years ago and I encountered a bug with the old man in Viridian city after resizing the maps (I think he just kept handing out Pokeballs or Potions, it's been a long time since then I just know his script broke and he never attempted to stop you leaving Viridian), have you encountered this? Also a glitch with Cut bushes randomly appearing and disappearing.

Years
I've not worked with Gen III for a while but I think as far as Oak goes you're better off inserting a new script. What's the issue with whiting out? If it's just coordinates that should be simple. Couldn't help with the PC though.

I also tried to do this myself in FR years ago and I encountered a bug with the old man in Viridian city after resizing the maps (I think he just kept handing out Pokeballs or Potions, it's been a long time since then I just know his script broke and he never attempted to stop you leaving Viridian), have you encountered this? Also a glitch with Cut bushes randomly appearing and disappearing.

I managed to get the Oak script working the way I wanted. The script that deals with whiting out and going back to the player's house isn't a person event or a level script so I have no idea how to edit it.
The cut tree thing you encountered probably had to do with not allowing enough space between maps for events to load. There's only a couple occurrences of OWs from an adjacent map being visible and the game handles them in a specific way that can't be replicated with A-Map alone.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I managed to get the Oak script working the way I wanted. The script that deals with whiting out and going back to the player's house isn't a person event or a level script so I have no idea how to edit it.
The cut tree thing you encountered probably had to do with not allowing enough space between maps for events to load. There's only a couple occurrences of OWs from an adjacent map being visible and the game handles them in a specific way that can't be replicated with A-Map alone.

Like I say it's been a while since I used FR but I think I can probably help with the whiting out, I would have to look through my old notes, is it just warping to the right coordinates that's the issue?

That makes sense, I dont know why that never occured to me, it was one of the issues prompting me to quit (that and really wanting to work with gen I/II).

I probably still have my old files on dropbox, I definitely still have my johto maps but I might still have my rom and scripts if any of it would be of use?

Years
Like I say it's been a while since I used FR but I think I can probably help with the whiting out, I would have to look through my old notes, is it just warping to the right coordinates that's the issue?

That makes sense, I dont know why that never occured to me, it was one of the issues prompting me to quit (that and really wanting to work with gen I/II).

I probably still have my old files on dropbox, I definitely still have my johto maps but I might still have my rom and scripts if any of it would be of use?

If you have an idea of how to fix the whiting out it'd be great!

Back