• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Questions Thread! [OLD]

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I google'd it real quick. I hope this helps. *nervous lol*
http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-lvx.html#c10 said:
Official rulings for the Two on Two format

Attacking

Q. In 2-on-2 Play, if one of the Defending Pokémon is a Baby Pokémon with the "Baby Rule" printed on it (not one of the newer ones with the "Baby Evolution" Poké-POWER), would the attacker have to flip a coin regardless of which of the Defending Pokémon they are attacking? Or would they only have to flip when attacking the Baby Pokémon?
A. It only counts if the Baby Pokémon itself is attacked. (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. In 2-on-2 Play, if both of the Defending Pokémon are Baby Pokémon with the "Baby Rule" printed on it (not one of the newer ones with the "Baby Evolution" Poké-POWER), would the attacker have to flip two coins in order to attack (one for each baby)?
A. No, you would only have to flip only one coin. (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. In 2-on-2 Play, if you are facing two babies and you use an attack that does something to BOTH Defenders, do you have to flip twice, once for each Baby?
A. When you attack, you choose a single Defending Pokémon to attack. Even if the attack says "each". So you would only have to flip once. (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team)
Strike and Run (Dunsparce - EX:Sandstorm)

Q. If I use Dunsparce's "Strike and Run" in 2 on 2 play and Dunsparce is my only Pokémon, do I have to move a Pokémon up from the bench first before you choose to use the switch effect of the attack?
A. You would resolve Dunsparce's attack completely, before handling other game rules such as adding a second Active Pokémon (Mar 18, 2004 PUI Rules Team)
Tongue Reel (Lickilicky - Secret Wonders)

Q. In two vs. two battle, if I attack my opponent's benched Pokemon with Lickilicky's "Tongue Reel" attack, who chooses which of the Defending Pokemon to switch?
A. Lickilicky's owner chooses the Pokemon that will be attacked, as well as the Defending Pokemon to be switched, if any. (Feb 7, 2008 PUI Rules Team)

Q. In two vs. two battle, when using Lickilicky's "Tongue Reel" attack can I do the damage to one Pokemon but flip to paralyze the other Active Pokemon?
A. No, the Paralyze check is done against the Pokemon chosen at the beginning of the attack. (Apr 10, 2008 PUI Rules Team)

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Question: What booster pack should I start buying for more Fire Types then any other. I just got an EX Victini and has inspired me to focus on a fire theme. I've looked through some booster packs like Unleashed and Noble Victories but the fire types in both those packs are awfully limited.

So does anyone have any suggestions for fire type booster packs or at least one that has a lot of them?

In terms of fire Pokemon they are spread out among the Black and White sets. In terms of play-ability, you could say that the original Reshiram is a good fire attacker, Blaziken from dark explorers is an okay fire attacker. Emboar is a good fire support Pokemon since he allows for energy acceleration on top of Victini- EX.

There is a "donk deck" using Heatmor discarding 4 fire energy from the top of the deck to deal a maximum of 200 damage. Using this with Ether and Pokedex, you can attempt to rearrange the top cards of your deck and try to power up a Heatmor in one turn.

The downside is that Blastoise is still a strong deck and you'll struggle with that match up.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
And how are YOU today?
OK I brought a tin of cards from the B&W Next Destiny's. And inside was this plastic card.
I have no idea how TCG work, I just buy them coz I love the pictures on them and hang them on my bedroom door. :cool:

I have never ever seen this kind of card before, and was hoping someone might know a bit more then me. And I am sorry about the bad quality of the pictures, my phone is getting on in years.
:disappoin

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
And how are YOU today?
OK I brought a tin of cards from the B&W Next Destiny's. And inside was this plastic card.
I have no idea how TCG work, I just buy them coz I love the pictures on them and hang them on my bedroom door. :cool:

I have never ever seen this kind of card before, and was hoping someone might know a bit more then me. And I am sorry about the bad quality of the pictures, my phone is getting on in years.
:disappoin

Did you get this from a sealed tin? Or is it one of those grab bag kinds of things?

Also, I can't find a single mention of the exact same card, just some similar mentions here and there. Unfortunately no page that even mentions something similar has a solution to what it is.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
I think you mean riolu? Maybe? Which would make that lucario. There hasnt been a B&W tin with lucario.

Years
Chances are it's a fake. There was only ever one tin released with Lucario in it, but that was back in 2007, well before any of the Black & White sets were released.

A reference page containing information about all the tins ever released in English up to the end of the HGSS era: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Collector_Tins_(TCG) (still looking for the BW-on tin list, but that certainly doesn't have a tin featuring a Lucario card in it).

I am curious as to where you obtained the tin.

EDIT: A list of all the Black & White era TCG merchandise: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Black_&_White_TCG_Series_merchandise

Only mention of Lucario is in a Checklane Blister pack. No tins at all.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
I think the jolteon thing is neat and all, jolteon is a great pokemon. But there hasnt been a lucario tin in the black and white era.

Years
DID THE PACK LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THESE ONES?

51mem%2BG9SQL.jpg
safe_image.php
collector's-poster-box.jpg

Years
So what is the main purpose(s) of joining local tournaments?

Really, it's just to play competitively and have an incentive to build a better deck.

And if you're joining officially sanctioned tournaments, you're showing The Pokemon Company International that there is still a serious player-base for the game. Some events you get prizes for, while others earn you competitive points towards being invited to Worlds if you do well enough.

Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2013
Really, it's just to play competitively and have an incentive to build a better deck.

And if you're joining officially sanctioned tournaments, you're showing The Pokemon Company International that there is still a serious player-base for the game. Some events you get prizes for, while others earn you competitive points towards being invited to Worlds if you do well enough.

Like where can you view these points and how much are needed to go and also what type of prizes for example? I'm like really new to the tcg and kind of interested in doing competitive play sometime later on when I'm somewhat decent. Also are there any places to look into what cards are legal in competitive play and what combos may work well if I decide to build my own? I usually just watch Jwittz videos but haven't been seeing much content from him. >.>

Years
After trying to find that information on the official US Pokemon website, I can only find the old outdated information on the Premier Rankings system. The way it works is that you get a certain number of points for finishing in a certain place at a given event, and the number of points you receive varies by the size of the tournament. You need approximately 400 points to get an invite to Worlds, iirc. So, this late into the season, it's pretty much impossible to earn a World's invite, but it's a good time to get familiar with competitive play, though. The 2013-2014 season will begin in September 2013.

Prizes that are given for top finishes are typically playmats, packs, other official merchandise, and travel packages to a bigger tournament (this last one really only applies to states and nationals, though).

There are plenty of places to find out what combos work well in the current modified format. One of the most popular current ones is Blastoise/Keldeo, but you don't necessarily need combos to win. JWitzz used to have more videos on combos, but I'd personally try TheTopCut instead now. Also, SixPrizes is a fantastic metagame research resource.

I've compiled a set list for the current format here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=289800

And, really, the only way to get any good at competitive Pokemon is to start attending an officially sanctioned league near you and go to tournaments. Just start attending!

Be careful, though. It can get pretty expensive as a hobby pretty quickly.

Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2013
Thanks for the information. Know if Flygon of Crossing Boundaries is any good in the format? I was looking through some cards and created what I thought to be a decent strategy of running a Celebi EX with Flygon for his ability to add counters on each of the opponent's pokemon and using Celebi's ability to copy a move from the pre-evolutions, that being Vibrava's Sand Pulse to add another 1 counter on each of the opponent's pokemon. With the main tech card I think it's called, (don't know the terminology of tcg yet -.-) Dusknoir to move around the opponent's damage counters and get a knock-out that way.

Years
The biggest problem with that setup is that it involves a pair of Stage 2 Pokemon, which take time to set up, while your opponent can be sweeping through your Pokemon with a single, swiftly set up EX.

It certainly does sound interesting, though.

Back