• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What is your current team in r/b/y?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
Oh thanks for explaining, i though it was because it was weak against ground or normal.
The same thing happens with graveler when using psychic on him.

Graveler has garbage special, though it should tank one psychic, unless crit.
Try using ground moves against Mew/Mewtwo/Slowbro/exeggutor, and you will find they have no problem tanking those moves.

Years
Graveler has garbage special, though it should tank one psychic, unless crit.
Try using ground moves against Mew/Mewtwo/Slowbro/exeggutor, and you will find they have no problem tanking those moves.

There is the irony, because i have graveler on my blue team, though i know it would do nothing against lorelei, agatha and blue's alakazam.
And yes i tried one time while i have beaten blue and to catch mewtwo, it was with charizard.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Oh thanks for explaining, i though it was because it was weak against ground or normal.
The same thing happens with graveler when using psychic on him.

Earthquake in Generation 1 is a Physical move(and one with 100 power and great accuracy, making it one of most reliable moves in the game). Therefore it takes your Attack stat(STAB and Type advantage if applicable) and the Defense stat of the target Pokemon when calculating damage. Psychic types typically have low or mediocre HP and Defense stat, hence Physical moves such as Slash, Earthquake, Dig, Drill Peck, Double Edge, Take Down, Karate Chop, Body Slam, Strength and Hyper Beam do enormous damage(if not OHKO). Exeggutor, Hypno and especially Slowbro are the exception due to largely sacrificing Speed for the higher Defense stat. Starmie isn?t a bad Psychic type if you?re looking for a non-traditional Psychic Pokemon since it?s only real deficiency is low HP. The fact it can learn Ice moves to counter Bugs makes it a pretty solid Generation 1 option.

Years
Earthquake in Generation 1 is a Physical move(and one with 100 power and great accuracy, making it one of most reliable moves in the game). Therefore it takes your Attack stat(STAB and Type advantage if applicable) and the Defense stat of the target Pokemon when calculating damage. Psychic types typically have low or mediocre HP and Defense stat, hence Physical moves such as Slash, Earthquake, Dig, Drill Peck, Double Edge, Take Down, Karate Chop, Body Slam, Strength and Hyper Beam do enormous damage(if not OHKO). Exeggutor, Hypno and especially Slowbro are the exception due to largely sacrificing Speed for the higher Defense stat. Starmie isn?t a bad Psychic type if you?re looking for a non-traditional Psychic Pokemon since it?s only real deficiency is low HP. The fact it can learn Ice moves to counter Bugs makes it a pretty solid Generation 1 option.

Oh, now i understand why alakazam and many other psychic types dies for an hyper beam.
Considering that hyper beam was really overpowered back then, it can explain why the majority of psychic types dies by this one.
This is why dragonair evolving into dragonite at level 55 learns hyper beam so it could be an undefeatable or powerful pok?mon, but can be easy if countered by another dragon or an ice type.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Oh, now i understand why alakazam and many other psychic types dies for an hyper beam.
Considering that hyper beam was really overpowered back then, it can explain why the majority of psychic types dies by this one.
This is why dragonair evolving into dragonite at level 55 learns hyper beam so it could be an undefeatable or powerful pok?mon, but can be easy if countered by another dragon or an ice type.

There?s only 1 Dragon Type move in the game and it does a fixed amount of damage. Hence Dragon on Dragon doesn?t really apply(meaning Ice and to a lesser degree Rock and Electric in Dragonite?s case are the only attacks you have to worry about when using the Dratini line). Dragonite?s flaw, if it has one, is that it?s speed could be better. That?s why Thunder Wave is a popular option for its moveset since paralysis all but ensures you go first for the rest of the battle(while also throwing in the chance the opposing Pokemon doesn?t move).

Also Hyper Beam, while strong(150 power), has 90 accuracy(meaning it has the chance to miss). Generation 1 has a niche thing with Hyper Beam too as you don?t have downtime if you KO a Pokemon with the move. Fail to do so and the normal recharge downtime comes into play.

Years
There?s only 1 Dragon Type move in the game and it does a fixed amount of damage. Hence Dragon on Dragon doesn?t really apply(meaning Ice and to a lesser degree Rock and Electric in Dragonite?s case are the only attacks you have to worry about when using the Dratini line). Dragonite?s flaw, if it has one, is that it?s speed could be better. That?s why Thunder Wave is a popular option for its moveset since paralysis all but ensures you go first for the rest of the battle(while also throwing in the chance the opposing Pokemon doesn?t move).

Also Hyper Beam, while strong(150 power), has 90 accuracy(meaning it has the chance to miss). Generation 1 has a niche thing with Hyper Beam too as you don?t have downtime if you KO a Pokemon with the move. Fail to do so and the normal recharge downtime comes into play.

Yeah, also dragonite cannot learn earthquake in gen 1 and 2, but it can learn in the gen 3 games, same as gyarados, primeape, venusaur and aerodactyl, i do know it's a flying type, but if it's a dual dragon-flying type, then why it learns ground attacks, because flying types are not suposed to learn those attacks.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Yeah, also dragonite cannot learn earthquake in gen 1 and 2, but it can learn in the gen 3 games, same as gyarados, primeape, venusaur and aerodactyl, i do know it's a flying type, but if it's a dual dragon-flying type, then why it learns ground attacks, because flying types are not suposed to learn those attacks.

Pokemon logic in a nutshell. I mean Dragonite has wings and Flying typing and yet can?t learn Fly in Generation 1. FRLG though, it can do so along with other useful moves(including a cache of Dragon moves). Have to remember that Generation 1 is nothing like the games that came after. Typing, movesets, genders, abilities... so much has been added that you can?t really compare it to the games that came after them. Even FRLG is like an entirely different game.

Years
Pokemon logic in a nutshell. I mean Dragonite has wings and Flying typing and yet can?t learn Fly in Generation 1. FRLG though, it can do so along with other useful moves(including a cache of Dragon moves). Have to remember that Generation 1 is nothing like the games that came after. Typing, movesets, genders, abilities... so much has been added that you can?t really compare it to the games that came after them. Even FRLG is like an entirely different game.

True, and gyarados is a water-flying dual type and can't learn fly too, same as charizard, or that rhydon, nidoqueen, nidoking, snorlax, kangaskhan, lickitung, tauros, dragonite, mew and pikachu being able to learn surf.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 16, 2023
Hiya!

My current generation 1 team:
Rhydon 52 - whydon
Taurus 49 - rage
Golduck 54 - amsia
Pikachu 60 - bzzt
Victreebel 57 - cutu
Clefable - 65 - dreams

clefable, nidoking and Pikachu have been with me since near the start, the others I got later.

Playing Pok?mon Yellow at the moment. :)

Years
Hiya!

My current generation 1 team:
Rhydon 52 - whydon
Taurus 49 - rage
Golduck 54 - amsia
Pikachu 60 - bzzt
Victreebel 57 - cutu
Clefable - 65 - dreams

clefable, nidoking and Pikachu have been with me since near the start, the others I got later.

Playing Pok?mon Yellow at the moment. :)

Nice.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
My current team, with pokemon stadium in mind.

Rhydon -50
Zapdos - 50
Egg - 50
Jolteon -50
Alakazam - 50
Starmie - 50

Got a few extras, Gengar, Hitmonlee and Articuno, but im not sure if they can replace one of the above in R2, Hitmonlee cant really take a hit and is only good against normal/rock. Gengar is nice in certain matchups, so is Articuno.

Years
My current team, with pokemon stadium in mind.

Rhydon -50
Zapdos - 50
Egg - 50
Jolteon -50
Alakazam - 50
Starmie - 50

Got a few extras, Gengar, Hitmonlee and Articuno, but im not sure if they can replace one of the above in R2, Hitmonlee cant really take a hit and is only good against normal/rock. Gengar is nice in certain matchups, so is Articuno.

Why there is an egg in your team?

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
The last time I played Red I ran it solely with Tangela (Trainer-Flew for it pretty early) and Tauros because I was curious to know just how strong their statlines were. The answer was: extremely strong ;D

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Just got Pok?mon Blue on the 3DS Virtual Console.

Here is my team so far.

-Ivysaur (Groot)
-Pikachu (Mickey)
-Raticate (Brisby)
-Gyarados (Triton, although I only put in the T. I will fix that once I get to the Re-Namer.)
-Sandshrew (Spike)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Added Vulpix to my team to have an advantage against Erika later.

I named her ?Phoebe?, since I am fond of Adventure Time.

Sandshrew and Pikachu have evolved, and I properly nicknamed my Gyarados this time.

Back