• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
2lbgzfo.png

Introduction
Hi, I'm DarkRisingGirl & This is POKEMON Dark Rising. This is my 2nd attempt to complete a full hack with a new epic story, new characters, and a new region. I've always felt the Pokemon series needed a much stronger impact with story-telling & that's what this hack is all about. Within the hack(look to features for more information) you'll encounter Pokemon from all 5 generations, the newest attacks, and a brand new deep storyline involving many characters with actual emotions compelling them to move foward. I also forgot to mention 1 important thing; This hack is Part 1 of a hack series! I thank you all for playing, I hope you enjoy! ^.^​

The Adventure
The Story begins in a dream. A Pokemon suddenly appears
and chooses you, a young boy/girl, to save not only it, but the world itself.
You awake asking yourself questions. Deciding to ignore the dream for now, you step out into your home town known as Fells in the Core Region. Your best friend, who also had the same dream, stops you at the front door to inform you of an emergency message from the town's Professor. When you encounter the professor, he quickly informs you of the disasters and climate changes occuring all over the Core Region. His workers in panic, he asks you to visit the delivery station and pick up a package for him from Prof.Oak. As you set out on this simple task, you encounter a mysterious girl who appears to know knowledge of the dream you've had about a creature name DARUGIS. After recieving the package, a powerful pokemon is within you and your friend, Pete, sight. Eager to test your early skills against a powerful pokemon, you quickly engage in a battle with it. The pokemon uses it's powerful winds, easily defeating your pokemon and knocking you out in the process. After awakening in your room, you see Pete and your mother patiently waiting for your recovery. You soon begin to realize this is the start of a journey into many mysteries and powerful pokemon you can't wait to challenge.​

Characters:

Spoiler:

Screenshots:

Spoiler:

Fan-Made Titlescreen:

smrjmv.png

Fan Made Box-Art:

2d8gn52.png

Features:

386 Pokemon from regions Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, & Unova, all appear.​

There's 8 badges. Each gym leader will have his/her own signature Pokemon that is not obtainable in the hack.​

All Original Characters & Trainers, including some fan favorites from the anime such as:​

Aside from the anime favorites, Yami Yugi from the YUGIOH Series will also have a short apperance in the hack as a Gym Leader.
There will be newer generation moves. Some to note are Shadow Claw, Roost, Scald, & plenty more.
DW Abilities (Yes that includes the overused fan favorites of Drizzle Poliwag, Drought Vulpix, & Speed Boost Torchic.)
All Pokemon will learn some of their best egg moves from gen 3-5 by level up instead of breeding. (Serebii.net Pokedex was used for this information.)
Inside every pokemon center, there's a Nurse Joy & Doctor Roy. Doctor Roy will be the one to heal your POKEMON. Nurse Joy will be next to him and challenge you to a double battle along side Doctor Roy. This is helpful for exp points.

Support Us!

Banners:
Spoiler:

Youtube Walkthroughs:

OFFICIAL WALKTHROUGH NOW AVAILABLE: http://www.4shared.com/office/GGm2HOrw/Walkthrough.html
Stuck somewhere in the hack? Need to know what's going on in the story or how to defeat the tough battles that await you? Well then download Alienhunterx's Official Dark Rising Walkthrough guide. Within it contains EVERYTHING you'll need to know in order to conquer the CORE Region.

Awards
2m7g0pd.png

2hd4h14.png

11c4hgz.png

Credits:

DarkRisingGirl (Story/Creator)
Tajaros (Scripter/Support Banner)
Wesley FG (OW Sprites)
Kyledove (Tiles)
Alienhunterx (Official Walkthrough)
Mewmasterifly (2 Evil Fakemon Sprites for Beta)
NO_obslayer (Titlescreen)
Nightkymz (Tile Inserter)
Atif (Mapper for the 1st Half of the Hack)
DanielEvans/Pokemon Giratina X/Elite Four Lucian( Banners. If I forgot anyone, please inform me and I'll gladly add you to the list)
Evil Arms (Fan-made Titlescreen)
PokemonShinySilver (Wii U)
Darthatron (Fixed Trainer Card Glitch)
Hinkage (Scripting & Mapping)

ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey Everyone. I'm announcing that I won't be participating in this thread any longer. I want to put all of my efforts into Dark Rising 2 and solely focus on it, rather than this hack anymore. I'll return to it once the upgraded version of this hack is finally complete. I hope you all understand that I'm only interested in making the sequel even better than the first and it's already coming out very amazing, I can't wait to share it with those who are interested in finding out the next chapter in the story. I don't feel the need to come back to this hack and I'm ready to put it behind me. I've learned a lot through making Dark Rising 1 and you'll see the huge difference and growth in Dark Rising 2. Thank you everyone for playing, I know there's bugs, tile errors, and grammar mistakes here and there. But you need to understand. I'm a casual hacker. I started the hack series to tell a story using custom characters from my imagination and Pokemon. I'm not trying to make a game as great and perfect as the ones you can pick up from retail at a nearby gaming store. That was never my intention to begin with. I love Pokemon, and I like writing stories. I put 2 and 2 together to come up with Dark Rising. I feel honored that it's being noticed and appreciated so highly, but it wasn't made to be an excellent, near flawless game. It was made just for the fun of it. See everyone at the Dark Rising 2!

Last edited:

HyperKiller

What if..?
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 26, 2023
Im looking forward to playing this game, some tiles looks like S/G/C tiles recoloured and they dont look good, along with the player OW's, and what are the starters going to be? though something tells me one of it is a Gible or Bagon.... ( First Post! :) )

The dragon tamer

Legendary Dragon Sage
Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2016
I agree with HyperKiller,that the Player OW's need some changes.I have seen your previous thread and I must admit that you have improved the game a lot!The tiles are a lot better than before.The NPC's OW's that you have inserted are very good and the new features of the game are amazing!I hope you will keep up the good work and if you ever need help with spriting or anything else just drop me a line.

XXVIII

Romhacker Wannabe
Years
The new features seem to be interesting and the GSC tiles are looking good. I will wait for the beta to play this one. Good luck!

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
UPDATES:
2iq3yx.png
This is the homes of you & your best friend in FELLS CITY. As Hyperkiller guessed, the starters are:
20zblz6.png
DRATINI

35kn4w0.png
BAGON
35co6mp.png
GIBLE

I would like spriters to offer and show me their work for a possible Hero/Heroine OW. If I really love it, I wouldn't mind switching it with the ones I have now. (Must have all walking/running/bike sprites completed in NSE or OW Editor.)

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
UPDATE:
28jxfl0.png
This snapshot is a scene from one of my favorite parts of the hack. I'm trying to make the players feel for each
of the main character's friends/rivals. As each of them have their own mini storyline & attitude. They can slowly begin to grow on you as the game progress. Let's get to most of the common minions you'll run into through-out the game:

2lk6utj.png
30j1ick.png
Classic Male GRUNT. They are weak and usually use Pokemon such as CROAGUNK and SKOURPI.

2gsk4rq.png
ouwc4w.png
Classic Female GRUNT. They are weak and usually use Pokemon such as FRILLISH and SKOURPI.

2cf5tom.png
29m6eeq.png
This is a GOON. They are a more stronger versions of the male GRUNTS & usually have evolved forms of POKEMON such as TOXICROAK and KROOKODILE

1z2hxj7.png
rh4o7b.png
This is a GOONETE. They are more stronger versions of the female GRUNTS & usually have evolved forms of Pokemon such as JELLICENT and HOUNDOOM.

I'll be putting a link in my signature soon which is a homepage for this hack. It'll have more information and photos on it then the ones shown on this thread. It'll also contain the errors in which I'm currently trying to fix. So if anyone is interested, I'll be more than happy to accept help.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
As soon as the title screen/Introduction to game sprites/and the backsprites for the hero&heroine are done I'll release a beta that will play up til KYUREM'S DEN. However, all 3 of those things I'm having problems with. But I'm learning & soon I should be able to have it done. I'd say the full completion is like this so far:

Story-100%
Tiles-40%
OW Sprites-100%
Mapping-50%
Music-0% (Could use some assistance on this as well. But I think I can easily handle it once I get to it after I'm done everything else.)
Pokemon Sprites-100% (Possibly exceptions of Electivire, Gigalith, Mienshao, Seismictoad, Drapion, Braviary. Their sprites need work as they don't look too good.)
Trainer sprites-90%

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Thank you everyone for the compliments. It was tough having to start everything over from my old hack. But it was worth it. KYUREM's DEN is near the forth city. There's plenty of things you'll have to do before you reach each city so the playthrough will be long. More updates coming very soon.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
UPDATE:
l8yhl.png
This is the forth city known as ICELAND CITY. It's still under construction as I'm trying to get the tiles and events right.

Every major city will have a gym leader who represents a specific type(Doesn't it always?). However, in this hack, each gym leader will have their own signature Pokemon that is not obtainable in the game. I'll reveal the types of each, their signature Pokemon, and the leader of the first gym now:

117s4sz.png
2lnv4tv.png
1st. FIRE GYM. Leader: FIERY. Signature Pokemon: HEATMOR

4uv1bn.png
2nd. WATER GYM. Leader: TYPHOON. Signature Pokemon: SEISMICTOAD

23u4y7d.png
3rd. PSYCHIC GYM. Leader: SERENA. Signature Pokemon: SIGILPYH
2vsfd5x.png
4th. ICE GYM. Leader: KAI. Signature Pokemon: CRYOGONAL

5th. NORMAL GYM. Leader: NORA. She does not have a Signature Pokemon. Events in the game will tell you why.

11r89iq.png
6th. STEEL GYM. Leader: BRUCE. Signature Pokemon: BISHARP

7th. GHOST GYM. Leader: YAMI YUGI. Signature Pokemon: Keeping it a secret for now.

8th. DRAGON GYM. Leader: BLITZ. Signature Pokemon: Keeping it a secret for now.

Anime Character Event:

24zyphz.png
If you've watched the Pokemon Anime, you can't ever forget about Brock. He was a funny character who flirted with almost every girl. He was a Pokemon Breeder but decided to become a Pokemon Doctor near his last hiatus on the show. In this hack, he returns, but not in a good way. And it's up to you and ASH(The now, Pokemon League Champion) to snap him out of the mind-controlled spell he is under.
2n6b38p.png
Here's a scene from the event. ASH's CHARIZARD is being held captive and Brock has control over ENTEI.

More Updates coming tomorrow...

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Nice hack. I can see some of Wesley's house tiles too. But the only downside for me is the OWs. Are they revamped or GSC styled? The starters are also a good choice. Dragon types, I love them. 5th gen Pokemon are also in.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
7th. GHOST GYM. Leader: YAMI YUGI. Signature Pokemon: Um... Dark Magician? :D
8th. DRAGON GYM. Leader: BLITZ. Signature Pokemon: Um... Angeallen? xD

Did I hit the spot? :D

Anyways, this looks to be interesting =)
And making Brock evil character is really interesting concept =)

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
The OWs are Wesley's revamped FR/LG sprites. But speaking of starter Pokemon; In this hack, the traditional GRASS-WATER-FIRE Starters from all generations are In. However, each of em is scattered in different areas all over the CORE Region at Lv10. Whenever one is around, you will get a hint by talking to people around the area. The percentage of them appearing in grass range from 5% to 4%. I know some of you may think "But what if Tepig is really deep in the game and all of my Pokemon are around lv50-60?" Well I thought of that and decided each of the starters will carry an EXP.SHARE when you catch it. Around 60% of Gen 5 POKEMON are in this hack. All of the evolutions in Gen 4 are here as well and will all be obtainable by lv up or by stone.
UPDATE:
10x812w.png
This is a small snapshot of AROMA TOWN. The player's teacher lives here & the starter CHIKORITA can be found in this area.

5ycg85.png
lol Well since ASH493 made a funny joke. I decided to spoil it and confirm that YAMI YUGI's Signature Pokemon Is Giratina. Yami Yugi's role in this game is much more than that of a gym leader. Him being able to use Giratina's power will be answered later on in the playthough.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2015
Damn.. I know I've already said this but I really can't wait! ;P Especially with your constant updates.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
UPDATE: 2 Main Characters!
2u926w4.png
4jm834.png

2nkrvnn.png
This is a snapshot of the character V. He is in charge of the recently revealed bag guys known as Grunts/Goons/Goonetes. He has a strong grudge against your father from past events and seeks revenge by taking it out on you. Although he may seem like the big bad boss, he is under the control of a much larger enemy.

2hx52ms.png
fei5qb.png

23k80wl.png
This character is name LIGHT. I won't reveal much about him as he is my personal favorite/most interesting character. He is not good nor bad, he simply follows what he feels is right. He is also your strongest rival.

I recently started a Team Thread that needs approval at the moment. With a team, perhaps the process of completing this hack can go much faster. So if anyone wishes to join the progression, please let me know. Also, I've noticed the dislike of the Hero/Heroine's OW Sprites.
NOTICE: If Any spriters wish to design their own OW sprites for this hack or have some really cool ones on reserve that they feel would be suitable for this hack, Please show and share them to me. However, The current OW Sprites I'm using in the above pictures have each of their Running/Biking/Fishing sprites. So if anyone has a complete set of these sprites for their custom OW and would like to see them in this hack, I'd be more than happy to see them.
Also...KYUREM Black & KYUREM White are In.(Need better sprites for them though. If you have them and both look excellent in NSE or OW Editor, please PM me them. Thank You!)

Back