• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So... why is extremespeed so good on Arcanine?

Years
I know extremespeed is the highest priority move but it only has 80 base power from what I remember, 5 PP and it's often put on Arcanine but isn't Arcanine already really fast making the high prio useless unless against other prio movers? And since it's just 80 base power aren't there better moves to learn (and maybe have STAB?)

This is for all generations basically and of course the higher the generation the more moves so yeah I really wonder this. I've always used Arcanine with extremespeed because it was recommended but I'm unsure why even.

(I'm sorry if this is the wrong section... I wasn't sure... please don't bite me)

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
95 base Speed's not what it used to be. Back in Gen 5, that was basically the standard speed benchmark, but it keeps going up every generation. Now it's like 115, so 95 is kinda below average. The base power might not be super high, but it's enough that you can pick off faster but low HP opponents when need be, and even go before many other priority moves at that.

That said, Extreme Speed is not mandatory on every Arcanine set. There's usable ones that don't need it.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It's not a move given to many Pokemon either but for ones that can hit hard like Arcanine it's a solid choice. Allows them to come in and either take out a weakened threat before continuing on, or deal some sort of damage if the opponent switches out; alternatively, it lands a huge amount of damage but doesn't quite knock out the opponent, but has a fall back option to go to. It can also I imagine force the opponent to swap out if they feel Arcanine has Extremespeed even if it may not.

Back