• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Do you think adding all 721 Pokemon to your game is great?

Years
So I have recently saw a lot of Pokemon fan game threads having as features all 721 Pokemon available to be caught so I was thinking let's make a discussion about it. Do you think it is great to have all 721 Pokemon or do you think that is like too much that there should be a lesser amount of Pokemon in a game like about 200-300 around there.

Years
I think you'd have to have an incredibly big region to reasonably fit that many pokemon being available through normal means, bigger than most people can do well (the bigger the region, the harder it will be to keep it interesting, level balance, etc).

The only reason official games have "all 721" is because you can get them through trading and pokebank, you can only obtain a few hundred within the region itself.
I understand the temptation to have them all, everyone has some favorites and would be sad to not have them in a game. But I think as long as you have a large diversity of mons available, it shouldn't be a problem.

Years
I think you'd have to have an incredibly big region to reasonably fit that many pokemon being available through normal means, bigger than most people can do well (the bigger the region, the harder it will be to keep it interesting, level balance, etc).

The only reason official games have "all 721" is because you can get them through trading and pokebank, you can only obtain a few hundred within the region itself.
I understand the temptation to have them all, everyone has some favorites and would be sad to not have them in a game. But I think as long as you have a large diversity of mons available, it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with you specially on that of people having some favorites and may feel sad of not having their favorite in the game. A great diversity of Pokemon in the game should make up for it maybe they can find another favorite Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I'd like to see 300-400 pokemon and then the rest obtained by means not in the wild so people can still use the pokemon they like. Like maybe a shop full of eggs containing pokemon, npcs trading for pokemon, fishing rod exclusive pokemon, hidden grottos, npcs giving random eggs etc.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 18, 2023
My game actually only has about 265 and currently only has five fakemon. I might add more fakemon, but I'd remove originals to make room for them. Like was said, there's no option to trade so there's no way all 721 would fit in one region. Plus, a lot of them are basically the same Pokemon adjusted for the new region. That's not very fun if they're all together :T

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Generally no, specially on short games. Too many pokémon are hard for a player direct enjoying each species, specially a new pokémon player that become lost with several species also with different types. Also, don't put too many species on hard-to-find grass.

I like the idea of an initial dex (regional pokédex). I suggest something between 200-350 pokémon.

Years
Now that I think about it can you configure your Pokedex to make like a Regional dex? I want to try putting the Pokemon the are going to be in the game. I have never thought of adding all 721 specially because I don't like the 3d sprites and the pixel sprites are not animated. Even so if I can I will try to add at least a few 6th gen Pokemon. Although Mega Evolution is something people like but I'm not too concentrated on that right now.

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
Truthfully, the only reason why I even bother playing the 721 hacks is so I can catch all the Pokemon I am actually after, otherwise, the rest are just there. I don't know why, but when I am unable to re-created my chosen team (every cat Pokemon ever), it makes the game less enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still play it, but I'll take longer and longer breaks from it because I can't create my chosen team.

#CatsRule

Pokébook1

Marene
Years
So I have recently saw a lot of Pokemon fan game threads having as features all 721 Pokemon available to be caught so I was thinking let's make a discussion about it. Do you think it is great to have all 721 Pokemon or do you think that is like too much that there should be a lesser amount of Pokemon in a game like about 200-300 around there.

You saw my Pokémon fan game too lol. I wrote there will be 721 pokémon obtainable, but just those who are in X&Y and those from Gen 1, just few from Johto (which have fairy types and Mega evolutions), Gen 3 and Gen 5, because as Maruno told me I can make as many regions I want, I'll be able to make: Kalos, Kanto, Hoenn and Unova (4 regions) That's why I wrote that, but not all Pokémon will be obtainable, also I will add (in future) the online trading, so you can trade to have all starters, I will just add Gen 1, (Gen 2), Gen 5, Gen 3
from the 4th generation I will add just Lucario and those who have Mega Evolution, that's all.

Sure, I think that all 721 pokémon are too much for a game, it must have many regions to have that amount of Pokémon, I'm just adding in 4 regions but they wont have all that, I'm also making a regional dex with the Central Kalos dex and the other Kalos dexes too, I'm adding them in the pbs files.
but not all Pokémon, I wont add Pokémon from Gen 4, just Lucario and those who people want get, the game is not about my favorites or favorite pokémon is more about what people likes, if you go to my thread and write you want "That Pokémon" in my game, I will be adding it into but just as Events like (cave dungeons, NPC trading, hidden Events that you might find with some sort of Itemfinder or some Item that leads you to the Pokémon you want to have) Sorry for writing down about my game, but you mentioned you saw lot of fan game threads having 721 Pokémon and I felt like you were talking about my project too :pink_tongue:

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
It simply isn't possible at this point to include every pokemon within any region. I'm doing a Kalos-style pokedex with 450 and even that is pushing the diversity. (I do have 20 cities/towns like in the Kalos games)

I'm going to have the remaining normal (non-alola) pokes be available via friend safari in the post game. The alola forms will also be post-game but their eggs will only be given out a special, hard-to-get item.

Designing an oversaturated route, while fun and affords the player with many options for building teams, really reduces the realism of the game or can potentially obscure the aesthetic of the game. (If you want a game centered around a volcano it doesn't make sense to include every grass type available arbitrarily even though as the designer you can do that). There is a delicate balance at stake, especially if you are going for a specific theme, and want to include your own fakemon to give your region a specific look (and also forces you to be more careful selecting existing mons).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 13, 2020
Adding all the 721 pokemon in a fangame has one goal : get more viewers/players.
Because I don't see the point, like it was already said, there is about 100 pokemon in each new pokemon games.
And I'm one of those who like quality over quantity. Adding all the pokemon in one game, every one can do it.
I like to see fangame who are more personalized than the official game (graphics, story, gameplay...etc)
So far, there is only one pokefangame who surprised me on the board, it's pokemon chion.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 30, 2021
If you are planning to just release one game then... sure Add all 721 Pokemon's in it.
But if you are planning to make sequels to your first game then I would not add all 721 Pokemon's in it, it would force players to play your other games if they want to collect all the Pokemon's.

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
Years
If you are planning to just release one game then... sure Add all 721 Pokemon's in it.
But if you are planning to make sequels to your first game then I would not add all 721 Pokemon's in it, it would force players to play your other games if they want to collect all the Pokemon's.

If you've got to find a way to force people to play your game, then you're doing something horribly wrong as a game developer.

My personal opinion on this subject is that, while it would be nice to have such a wide selection, it's nearly impossible to pull it of, and even more so to do it well. Chances are, people would just cram 12 different Pokemon into each route. This probably wouldn't be the preferred method. What would be the preferred method? I don't know. If I did, then I'd have done it. I do know that it would take a lot of planning and preparation, but I do think it can be done. I know a few games have added in all of them, but I've yet to see one that actually does it in a decent fashion.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen yesterday
I'm not a fan of the idea of including every single Pokémon in a game, because it usually feels forced and over-stuffed. One route ends up housing 15+ different Pokémon, and it makes the region have a less cohesive feel and theme.

Back