Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #101    
Old August 31st, 2017 (10:50 AM).
Janp's Avatar
Janp Janp is offline
Audino master
  • Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Home
Gender: Male
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
Perfect! lol XD

I'll get the August results up (/ongoing leaderboard?) on Wednesday since I'll probably be waiting around all day for somebody to show up and get my internet hooked up (I'll be mooching off my landlord until then)
I'll try to create thread for some kind of scoreboard, so when it's ready, just post it there.
__________________
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #102    
Old September 2nd, 2017 (8:32 AM).
stars's Avatar
stars stars is offline
  • Super Moderator
  • Platinum Tier
  • Discord Moderoid
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Skaia
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Posts: 28,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janp View Post
I'll try to create thread for some kind of scoreboard, so when it's ready, just post it there.
Hey, I changed the splash a bit. I'll of course stop doing it if you want to handle that yourself :D And if you need help finding your way around the code in it, just let me know!
Reply With Quote
  #103    
Old September 2nd, 2017 (10:41 PM).
Janp's Avatar
Janp Janp is offline
Audino master
  • Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Home
Gender: Male
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure View Post
Hey, I changed the splash a bit. I'll of course stop doing it if you want to handle that yourself :D And if you need help finding your way around the code in it, just let me know!
It's okay I'm not on friendly terms with CSS after last semester, so when I looked on it, I just noped really quickly :D And then forget on it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #104    
Old September 3rd, 2017 (7:23 AM).
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian Sydian is offline
i'm not jesus
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 25
Nature: Timid
Posts: 32,179
After the time I completely ruined the splash in here bc I was trying to change something, I never touched splashes again lmfao. Left me traumatized I guess??? aha
__________________

≫ i will not forgive ≪
challenges | klippy
Reply With Quote
  #105    
Old September 6th, 2017 (8:49 PM).
Janp's Avatar
Janp Janp is offline
Audino master
  • Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Home
Gender: Male
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
After the time I completely ruined the splash in here bc I was trying to change something, I never touched splashes again lmfao. Left me traumatized I guess??? aha
OMG, Senpai!!!

By the way guys, what do you think about reviving some old challenges like TCG, Bingo, Gym Leader, etc. challenges?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #106    
Old September 7th, 2017 (11:43 AM).
Inkblots's Avatar
Inkblots Inkblots is offline
     
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: Canada
    Age: 27
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 219
    Okay, I've submitted a thread for the August results

    I'm thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have two separate threads: a new one every month for the last month's challenge, which is deleted/archived/whatever after a couple of weeks, and an ongoing thread that we can copy-paste the "official" results into so that we have an easy to access record, and the initial post of that thread can have leaderboards updated monthly.

    thoughts? Did that all make sense?
    Reply With Quote
      #107    
    Old September 8th, 2017 (10:36 PM).
    Janp's Avatar
    Janp Janp is offline
    Audino master
    • Moderator
     
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Location: Home
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 636
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Okay, I've submitted a thread for the August results

    I'm thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have two separate threads: a new one every month for the last month's challenge, which is deleted/archived/whatever after a couple of weeks, and an ongoing thread that we can copy-paste the "official" results into so that we have an easy to access record, and the initial post of that thread can have leaderboards updated monthly.

    thoughts? Did that all make sense?
    It could get quite messy, but right now, I think we can do that like this. Thanks for the results
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #108    
    Old September 13th, 2017 (3:25 PM).
    Sydian's Avatar
    Sydian Sydian is offline
    i'm not jesus
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Age: 25
    Nature: Timid
    Posts: 32,179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Janp View Post
    OMG, Senpai!!!

    By the way guys, what do you think about reviving some old challenges like TCG, Bingo, Gym Leader, etc. challenges?
    Nooo, you're senpai now! ;) But yeah, I think reviving some oldies but goodies would be great! If I had the time, I'd bring back the gender discrimination challenge or the favorites challenge. Or even the least favorite challenge, lol. I think people are less likely to do the latter because you're stuck with Pokemon you don't even like.

    I wish work didn't suck away all my time, bleh. Thinking about doing a challenge when Gold/Silver releases on the eShop, though. Just not sure which...
    __________________

    ≫ i will not forgive ≪
    challenges | klippy
    Reply With Quote
      #109    
    Old September 14th, 2017 (2:14 AM).
    Janp's Avatar
    Janp Janp is offline
    Audino master
    • Moderator
     
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Location: Home
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 636
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
    Nooo, you're senpai now! But yeah, I think reviving some oldies but goodies would be great! If I had the time, I'd bring back the gender discrimination challenge or the favorites challenge. Or even the least favorite challenge, lol. I think people are less likely to do the latter because you're stuck with Pokemon you don't even like.

    I wish work didn't suck away all my time, bleh. Thinking about doing a challenge when Gold/Silver releases on the eShop, though. Just not sure which...
    Heh, thanks Feel free to revive any challenge you like. I myself was searching through old challenges, picked few favourites and I'm currently updating rules for them.
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #110    
    Old September 17th, 2017 (9:08 PM).
    CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
       
      Join Date: Jun 2017
      Location: Hayward
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 360
      The following is something I created out of the blue not that long ago while playing Pokemon Yellow. Seeing as its the only Pokemon Game I own, I try to find new things or avenues when doing yet another playthrough. Nuzlockes, Monotypes and other challenges only get me so far so I developed a new challenge that is completely unique(AFAIK) and refreshing because the challenge is based on the following criteria: An Animated show.

      This Animated Show can be ANYTHING animated. Be it Looney Toons to the ultra serious series of a Japanese Anime like Full Metal Alchemist. Whatever the show, pick 6 characters(most of which will be Protagonists(not too many shows I know of have more than 6 while the rest can be antagonists or side characters)) and then analyzing their character traits. From which you will determine what Pokemon best represents that particular character and then building your Pokemon Team from your character list.

      Here is an example I did not that long ago. One of my favorite animated series is a French anime of Code Lyoko. Code Lyoko has five main protagonists: Jeremy, Aelita, Ulrich, Yumi and Odd. Jeremy is basically a science nerd(similar to Clemont in the Pokemon Anime) who often sits in front of the Computer while aiding the rest of the group while they are on the virtual world that is Lyoko. Being that he's in the real world, he's at the mercy of the rogue AI antagonist and is often electrocuted as a result. Therefore an Electric Type Pokemon(in this case conveniently Pikachu) was my choice.

      Aelita is a timid and shy girl who often relied on the rest of the group for mission success. Later on in the series she grows more confident and gains the ability to fight back. Despite her newfound abilities, she's often at the mercy of the antagonist and henceforth I chose a Bug Type(Butterfree to be exact since her virtual form gains Wings later on). Ulrich is the stereotypical Jock with a jealous nature and a thin skinned pride to go with it. His athleticism is unmatched within the group and his prowess for hand to hand combat is unmatched. Initially I was going to go with Scyther but opted for Sandshrew(and its evolved form) because I needed a Ground Type and because its a powerhouse(and Ulrich certainly was that in the anime).

      Yumi is as loyal as any friend can be but comes with a bit of a hot temper and is portrayed as one hot vixen. As such Vulpix seemed to be the appropriate pick for her. Odd was a no brainer. Odd loves to sleep and eat so the perfect Pokemon for him is Snorlax. Finally, I opted to go for their virtual ship: Skidbladinir as the final slot in my team. It's a mythical Viking ship that always reached its destination and I thought Lapras best represented it.

      Once you have your team planned out, you then go through the course of the game and catch ONLY those 6 characters/Pokemon. If one should die(faint) you lose. The rest of Nuzloke rules such as SET and other parameters are still in play. Might need some refining but I think it would certainly spice up future games if people played a Pokemon game based on one of their favorite animated series(like Avatar: The Last Airbender as another example).
      Reply With Quote
        #111    
      Old September 17th, 2017 (11:50 PM).
      Janp's Avatar
      Janp Janp is offline
      Audino master
      • Moderator
       
      Join Date: Apr 2013
      Location: Home
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 636
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
      The following is something I created out of the blue not that long ago while playing Pokemon Yellow. Seeing as its the only Pokemon Game I own, I try to find new things or avenues when doing yet another playthrough. Nuzlockes, Monotypes and other challenges only get me so far so I developed a new challenge that is completely unique(AFAIK) and refreshing because the challenge is based on the following criteria: An Animated show.

      This Animated Show can be ANYTHING animated. Be it Looney Toons to the ultra serious series of a Japanese Anime like Full Metal Alchemist. Whatever the show, pick 6 characters(most of which will be Protagonists(not too many shows I know of have more than 6 while the rest can be antagonists or side characters)) and then analyzing their character traits. From which you will determine what Pokemon best represents that particular character and then building your Pokemon Team from your character list.

      Here is an example I did not that long ago. One of my favorite animated series is a French anime of Code Lyoko. Code Lyoko has five main protagonists: Jeremy, Aelita, Ulrich, Yumi and Odd. Jeremy is basically a science nerd(similar to Clemont in the Pokemon Anime) who often sits in front of the Computer while aiding the rest of the group while they are on the virtual world that is Lyoko. Being that he's in the real world, he's at the mercy of the rogue AI antagonist and is often electrocuted as a result. Therefore an Electric Type Pokemon(in this case conveniently Pikachu) was my choice.

      Aelita is a timid and shy girl who often relied on the rest of the group for mission success. Later on in the series she grows more confident and gains the ability to fight back. Despite her newfound abilities, she's often at the mercy of the antagonist and henceforth I chose a Bug Type(Butterfree to be exact since her virtual form gains Wings later on). Ulrich is the stereotypical Jock with a jealous nature and a thin skinned pride to go with it. His athleticism is unmatched within the group and his prowess for hand to hand combat is unmatched. Initially I was going to go with Scyther but opted for Sandshrew(and its evolved form) because I needed a Ground Type and because its a powerhouse(and Ulrich certainly was that in the anime).

      Yumi is as loyal as any friend can be but comes with a bit of a hot temper and is portrayed as one hot vixen. As such Vulpix seemed to be the appropriate pick for her. Odd was a no brainer. Odd loves to sleep and eat so the perfect Pokemon for him is Snorlax. Finally, I opted to go for their virtual ship: Skidbladinir as the final slot in my team. It's a mythical Viking ship that always reached its destination and I thought Lapras best represented it.

      Once you have your team planned out, you then go through the course of the game and catch ONLY those 6 characters/Pokemon. If one should die(faint) you lose. The rest of Nuzloke rules such as SET and other parameters are still in play. Might need some refining but I think it would certainly spice up future games if people played a Pokemon game based on one of their favorite animated series(like Avatar: The Last Airbender as another example).
      Good idea. Maybe I wouldn't limit team to be 6 Pokemon. Some shows have fewer main characters. And sometimes, characters leave the show and new one appears.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #112    
      Old September 18th, 2017 (6:35 AM).
      CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
         
        Join Date: Jun 2017
        Location: Hayward
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 360
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Janp View Post
        Good idea. Maybe I wouldn't limit team to be 6 Pokemon. Some shows have fewer main characters. And sometimes, characters leave the show and new one appears.
        If a show has one to two main protagonists, you fill your team with antagonists or side characters. Again using Code Lyoko as an example, William was a secondary character who was recruited by the group but was turned into a tool of evil by the antagonist on his very first mission. Takes the protagonists the rest of the series to free him, all the while he battles them while under the influence of the antagonist(and is a pretty formidable foe too). William was strong and had a bit of a temper like Yumi and therefore Onix kind of matched his personality(that or Mewtwo but that would be cheating).

        If Generation 2 was available to me, I'd pick Milly and Tamiya as Plusle and Minum. These two were best friends and were always supporting one another as Journalism enthusiasts. There are several more characters I could pick as well and I limit it to 6 because I try to give myself a challenge. If a person wants to have no limit on the amount of Pokemon they catch, that's fine but I'd still limit Pokemon captures by the character and Pokemon they best represent(which if you do the challenge, you announce right at the start of the challenge). There would be no first encounter restriction, only the restriction of capturing Pokemon that fits that particular character. Run out of characters and well you can't capture Pokemon.

        Some shows people could do(and example Pokemon for each one):

        TMNT: Blastoise, Torkoal, Samurott, Greninja, Raticate, and Bisharp. First 4 as the 4 Turtles, Splinter as a Rat and Bisharp as the antagonist Shredder. Then Rhyhorn for Rocksteady, Krookodile as Leatherhead and so on.

        Gravity Falls: Dipper and Mabel(Male and Female Meowstic), Zoos(Slakoth), Wendy(Alola Vulpix or an Ice type), Ford(Alakazam), Stan(pick one lol).

        This mode has numerous applications and replayability because you can do a new show each time and even if you go with the same show multiple times, you can probably pick a different Pokemon for a particular character, thereby giving it a fresh take.
        Reply With Quote
          #113    
        Old September 18th, 2017 (7:44 AM).
        Janp's Avatar
        Janp Janp is offline
        Audino master
        • Moderator
         
        Join Date: Apr 2013
        Location: Home
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 636
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
        Lot of stuff.
        Yeah, that would work well If you decide to make thread, I'll surely participate with some shows.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #114    
        Old September 18th, 2017 (12:27 PM).
        CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
           
          Join Date: Jun 2017
          Location: Hayward
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 360
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Janp View Post
          Yeah, that would work well If you decide to make thread, I'll surely participate with some shows.
          I'll post it soon. I just have to decide on what show to be my inaugural challenge. Never been good at story telling either so I may forego that.
          Reply With Quote
            #115    
          Old September 23rd, 2017 (10:12 PM).
          Janp's Avatar
          Janp Janp is offline
          Audino master
          • Moderator
           
          Join Date: Apr 2013
          Location: Home
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 636
          It will be end of the month soon and that means new Monthly-Mini Challenge... And because it'll be Halloween this month, I wanted to know, would you prefer another Monthly-Mini Challenge or some old school Event?
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #116    
          Old September 30th, 2017 (10:57 AM).
          Janp's Avatar
          Janp Janp is offline
          Audino master
          • Moderator
           
          Join Date: Apr 2013
          Location: Home
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 636
          Okay, new event is up! Check it out!
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #117    
          Old October 15th, 2017 (5:20 AM).
          Janp's Avatar
          Janp Janp is offline
          Audino master
          • Moderator
           
          Join Date: Apr 2013
          Location: Home
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 636
          So, what do you think about Monthly-Mini Challenges so far? Do you have any ideas for other months?
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #118    
          Old October 15th, 2017 (3:29 PM).
          Sydian's Avatar
          Sydian Sydian is offline
          i'm not jesus
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Feb 2008
          Location: Alabama
          Age: 25
          Nature: Timid
          Posts: 32,179
          I personally don't have the time for them like I would have used to, but I do like the idea of having something every month, even if it is just a little something. Provides a good little boost to the area and keeps things fresh, but also doesn't impede on anything bigger you might like to do for holidays or something. It's just a matter of keeping it up and it not being too stale. That is one issue with monthly things.

          I don't have any ideas for mini-challenges, but I would suggest a more major event for December. More people will have time off in December (students, usually) to do them and with the majors holidays that come in that month, it's makes for an easy base to build an idea on.
          __________________

          ≫ i will not forgive ≪
          challenges | klippy
          Reply With Quote
            #119    
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (6:22 PM).
          DeusPro's Avatar
          DeusPro DeusPro is online now
          #freecoffee
          • PokéCommunity Daily
           
          Join Date: Jun 2017
          Location: Dallas, TX
          Age: 15
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Bold
          Posts: 233
          Hi! I'd currently like to propose the plan of a Communitylocke. A Communitylocke is a competitive points based Nuzlocke run where people create Nuzlocke runs on the forums under an event's overarching rules, and receive or are detracted points depending on certain in game events.

          For Example
          Catching a Pokemon earns you one point
          Having a Pokemon faint costs you one point
          Winning a Gym Battle earns you one point
          etc etc

          So.. this concept originated on the Nuzlocke Forum, and to boost the activity on the Challenge Subforums and cultivate a community, I'd like to host and promote the first PokeCommunity Communitylocke. What do you guys think? If you have any questions, you are certainly open to ask me on this thread! :D

          Thanks!
          __________________
          Join my Ruby and Sapphire Communitylocke here!
          Reply With Quote
            #120    
          Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:04 AM).
          Halfcadence's Avatar
          Halfcadence Halfcadence is offline
          Monocolorist
             
            Join Date: Apr 2012
            Age: 25
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Quiet
            Posts: 245
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by DeusPro View Post
            snip
            There have been similar things tried in the past on here. I participated in one quite a while ago (I can't seem to find it, it might have been deleted or something) and the person who started /that/ one was warned by some of the vets that it's been tried and they've petered out fairly quickly, and lo and behold, that happened to the one I was in as well.

            All I'm saying is if you feel up to the challenge, go for it and I would consider participating, but just know that historically it's been an uphill battle.
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #121    
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:33 AM).
            DeusPro's Avatar
            DeusPro DeusPro is online now
            #freecoffee
            • PokéCommunity Daily
             
            Join Date: Jun 2017
            Location: Dallas, TX
            Age: 15
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Bold
            Posts: 233
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Halfcadence View Post
            There have been similar things tried in the past on here. I participated in one quite a while ago (I can't seem to find it, it might have been deleted or something) and the person who started /that/ one was warned by some of the vets that it's been tried and they've petered out fairly quickly, and lo and behold, that happened to the one I was in as well.

            All I'm saying is if you feel up to the challenge, go for it and I would consider participating, but just know that historically it's been an uphill battle.
            I’m definitely up for the challenge, haha. As long as I can advertise well and keep people reeled into the challenge and continuing to update and play their runs, I think I can manage to do well. Getting it widespread appeal is another thing entirely, but with correct planning I can do that as well. Speaking of spreading the word, seems like my signature will finally have a use haha
            __________________
            Join my Ruby and Sapphire Communitylocke here!
            Reply With Quote
              #122    
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:50 AM).
            Janp's Avatar
            Janp Janp is offline
            Audino master
            • Moderator
             
            Join Date: Apr 2013
            Location: Home
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 636
            Another Mini-Monthly Challenge will end soon and I totally forget to make one for November and won't be able to make one in time.
            So I wanted to ask you, if you have any idea for one and if any of you would like to host it.
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #123    
            Old 1 Week Ago (5:42 AM).
            UkiTheMaid's Avatar
            UkiTheMaid UkiTheMaid is offline
            Robot Maid
               
              Join Date: Jun 2017
              Location: Brazil
              Age: 29
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Lax
              Posts: 46
              Hello, may I revive the Pokémon Rainbow Challenge from the days of old? Is a nice challenge and I think newer members would enjoy it :3

              I'll just use pretty much the same rules setup from the original post because they are mostly fine the way they are, hah!
              __________________
              Nidoqueen is Waifu

              My Gameplay YouTube Channel (still very new!) // On Going and Finished Challenges are HERE!
              Reply With Quote
                #124    
              Old 1 Week Ago (10:19 AM).
              Janp's Avatar
              Janp Janp is offline
              Audino master
              • Moderator
               
              Join Date: Apr 2013
              Location: Home
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 636
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by UkiTheMaid View Post
              Hello, may I revive the Pokémon Rainbow Challenge from the days of old? Is a nice challenge and I think newer members would enjoy it :3

              I'll just use pretty much the same rules setup from the original post because they are mostly fine the way they are, hah!
              Yeah, go on It looks like rules are good to go in the way they are in the old thread.
              __________________
              Reply With Quote
                #125    
              Old 6 Days Ago (3:31 AM).
              UkiTheMaid's Avatar
              UkiTheMaid UkiTheMaid is offline
              Robot Maid
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2017
                Location: Brazil
                Age: 29
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Lax
                Posts: 46
                So, been thinking about making a Sailor Moon based challenge, and I'm slowly but surely developing "rules" for it, starting with what pokémon you can pick for your team, based on the senshi. I decided to center myself around the main 10, because choosing pokés to fit all the senshi that appear in the shows would be a nightmare, lol

                This is what I got so far. If anyone has any idea on what to put for Sailor Saturn and Pluto, I would be very happy! I was thinking Dark for Pluto and Ghost for Saturn but =shrug= And like, I know Chibiusa sin't exactly an outer senshi but shhhhh

                Inner Senshi:
                Sailor Moon = Bunny/Rabbit and Cat Pokémon
                Sailor Mercury = Primary Water Pokémon
                Sailor Mars = Pure Fire Pokémon
                Sailor Jupiter = Pure Electric Pokémon
                Sailor Venus = A Pokémon that learns the move Attract by levelling up or has the Cute Charm Ability

                Outer Senshi:
                Sailor Chibi Moon = Pink Fairy Pokémon
                Sailor Pluto =
                Sailor Uranus = Ground Pokémon
                Sailor Neptune = Pure Water Pokémon
                Sailor Saturn =
                __________________
                Nidoqueen is Waifu

                My Gameplay YouTube Channel (still very new!) // On Going and Finished Challenges are HERE!
                Reply With Quote
                Reply

                Quick Reply

                Join the conversation!

                Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                Create a PokéCommunity Account

                Sponsored Links
                Thread Tools

                Posting Rules
                You may not post new threads
                You may not post replies
                You may not post attachments
                You may not edit your posts

                BB code is On
                Smilies are On
                [IMG] code is On
                HTML code is Off
                Minimum Characters Per Post: 25

                Forum Jump


                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:58 PM.