• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Champion Theme?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
This topic is honestly the most difficult decision I've had to do and why I'm curious to see how the rest of the community feels. I based my decision PURELY on the Champion's theme and not on their team or the game/region they're champion of. For a lot of you, I think its going to come down to two Champions: Cynthia's or Lance/Red's and I completely understand why. However, for me, I'm likely in the minority by picking Iris' theme. Her theme is just so unique that I honestly don't care that Alder is the "Champion" in Black&White(both Anime and the game). If only her Anime counterpart was half as good as what she is in Black2/White2.

Anyways, here's my top 5:

1) Iris' Theme. Reasoning stated above. Alder can die to Volcarona's Flame Body.

2) Blue/Gary's Theme.The fact GameFreak/TPC keeps bringing this classic back only illustrates how timeless of a classic this theme is. Plus... there is Pachirisu. *Drops Mic*

3) Cynthia's Theme. Everything about her theme is just plain awesome. You know you're in for a real fight when you hear it. The fact they haven't remixed it after all these years is a testament to how good it is.

4) Lance/Red's Theme. Might be #1 on a lot of people's lists but not for me. It's not to say its not great but I find the above three to be better.

5) Diantha's Theme. I had a very tough call on whether to pick her theme or Steven's. Gave the edge to Diantha since like Iris' theme, its got a unique feel to it that overshadows how easy she can be defeated if you train a proper team(that and XP Share nerfed the game difficulty).

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
My favorites were Lance/Red's theme, and Steven's theme from Ruby/Sapphire. I also liked Blue's champion theme.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jun 4, 2018
in order from favorite to least favorite, theres: cynthia, iris, blue(new and old), lance, steven, and the others that i havent heard enough to have a definitive answer on

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Lance/Red, Cynthia, as well as Iris. It may seem super playful, but I think it fits her character perfectly.

pkmin3033

If your answer to this isn't "the theme that plays just before you fight Cynthia" then I don't really know what to say :o

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
Steven's theme was the only one that had me on goosebumps when it first started playing so I'll go with that. Iris is a close second for that bubbly and unique theme.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
My favorite champion battle theme is Cynthia's. It doesn't try to be grand and epic, it just says one thing: "I'm gonna mess you up". And then she does.

My least favorite champion tracks are Steven's, because it sounds like the Gym Leader theme, but sped up (I know this is not strictly the case) ; and Lance & Red's because I always thought this theme sounded like it tried to be its Gen I counterpart and failed.

Years
Cynthia's holy moly. By far the most exciting song in the game and really does make you feel like you're battling a champion. Lance's is wonderful and iconic too, but Cynthia's just flat out gives me goosebumps. @_@

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Lance/Red and Cynthia's battle themes for me too, gotta say.

1st gen one is fine too, and I don't mind Steve's theme. Kalos' one is alright, while I just don't like gen 5's one as much (and normally I quite like the music from those games!). Alder's is somewhat forgettable, and I can understand why some people don't think Iris' fits, although at least it is more memorable.

Worst imo is SM's - it was fine for a trailer, but did not match for a Champion battle imo. USUM was... a marked improvement on Hau's battle theme, certainly, but I didn't like this theme so that holds it back for me.
3) Cynthia's Theme. Everything about her theme is just plain awesome. You know you're in for a real fight when you hear it. The fact they haven't remixed it after all these years is a testament to how good it is.
B2W2 has a remix of it, actually (and every other Gym/Champion battle theme before gen 5 too). And outside of Pokemon games, there's the Super Smash Bros remix too.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Lance/Red and Cynthia's battle themes for me too, gotta say.

1st gen one is fine too, and I don't mind Steve's theme. Kalos' one is alright, while I just don't like gen 5's one as much (and normally I quite like the music from those games!). Alder's is somewhat forgettable, and I can understand why some people don't think Iris' fits, although at least it is more memorable.

Worst imo is SM's - it was fine for a trailer, but did not match for a Champion battle imo. USUM was... a marked improvement on Hau's battle theme, certainly, but I didn't like this theme so that holds it back for me.
B2W2 has a remix of it, actually (and every other Gym/Champion battle theme before gen 5 too). And outside of Pokemon games, there's the Super Smash Bros remix too.

Cynthia's theme hasn't changed in my book. Even if you compare BW2 with DPPt, they're virtually the same. I don't really count SSB though as I limit it strictly to Pokemon games. Still though, my hypothesis that Cynthia and Red would be battling for #1 appears to be right.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Cynthia's theme hasn't changed in my book. Even if you compare BW2 with DPPt, they're virtually the same. I don't really count SSB though as I limit it strictly to Pokemon games. Still though, my hypothesis that Cynthia and Red would be battling for #1 appears to be right.
I will grant that they are quite similar, but there's definitely an addition/change in instrumentation between the two, and even sound balancing to make certain parts stand out more. Would be interested to see how it sounds with a completely different set of instrumentation though.

(For other people: DPPt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXefFHRgyE0
B2W2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMsnxraYN4c )

Years
Cynthia's Champion is definitely far more exciting and gets you pumped up to battle her than others.

Of course, there are close seconds, namely Wallace/Steven.

Years
Cynthia's has to be my favourite, it's such a lively and upbeat theme that sets the tone for an enthralling battle! Who could forget it?

Diantha's theme is a close second. It stands out to me a lot and it really compliments Diantha and her team. Other than that, it's just sounds absolutely beautiful to me.

Contrary to popular opinion, Lance's theme fails to resonate with me. I honestly don't remember it.

Years
Typical, but cynthia's and lance's are the best for me, the feeling of someone powerful battling us is real with their theme

Last edited:
Years
For me this one ain't even close, even though all of the champion themes are honestly good. C'mon its Cynthia!!! We're off to the races from the first note. You can just feel every twist and turn as you race to keep up with this woman, its exhilarating. What makes this theme even more insane is the piano intro that proceeds it. Are we listening to Rachmaninoff? What a juxtaposition! Who does stuff like this??!! This is so unique and epic.

I love this lady, Arceus never incarnated a greater female character in his world. She is wise, brave, good, beautiful and a formidable talent. He would not have written this great theme for her if he didn't feel the same way. In general Sinnoh battle themes are outstanding, Cynthia, Cyrus, Giratina, Arceus, the lake guardians. Musically I think its one of the finest regions out there.

Last edited:
Back