• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tile Insertion For AdvanceMap For Dummies

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
When I opened the ROM, the palette was messed up. I figured out, that in BLOCK EDITOR once you've edited your palette, you need to go to "Palettes" and then click "Write palette changes to ROM". Once I did this, the colors worked great! This was a fantastic, uberly awesome tutorial and you did a great job :D

WwhsSM7.png

glad I could help, I am pretty sure I mentioned the write palette changes to rom thing somewhere in the tutorial lol but anyways I'm glad it works enjoy it because it only making hacking that much more fun!

I know that much, but I'm trying to edit Tileset 0 in FR which has the Pokemon Center, trees and other stuff and when you press enlarge it asks you if you want to enlarge the second tileset not the first you have..

explain this enlarge ... are you trying to double the viewing size in the block editor?

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
No I just wanna edit FR's tileset 0 (with the grass, pkmn center, etc) but as you can see there's no space in it for me to edit and you can't make tileset 0 512 blocks

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2014
Finally, I actually made it. Thank you very much good sir, you have contributed much to my hacking.

coca cola

Wanna be:D
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 1, 2015
I now understand this finally!! Always wanted to insert my own tiles and the youtube vids you search on the tube don't help you but if you go on pokecommunity you find a gem like this of the tube that tells you how to do it right:) I might start a really gd hack this summer thanks to this.

P.s. I hope your youtube vid gets more populer because it is the best! Oh and later on I think I heard some funny background noises in that vid haha

Le pug

Years
I now understand this finally!! Always wanted to insert my own tiles and the youtube vids you search on the tube don't help you but if you go on pokecommunity you find a gem like this of the tube that tells you how to do it right:) I might start a really gd hack this summer thanks to this.

P.s. I hope your youtube vid gets more populer because it is the best! Oh and later on I think I heard some funny background noises in that vid haha

im glad you understand it now, i feel you on the youtube vid thing. Now that I'm more experienced I won't forget my roots of struggling just to insert stuff or script or whatever and I want to help others bypass all the bs times I spent looking to make it easier on myself.

I hope you make your hack, you'll have fun doing it and PM me if you need any help or advice.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm very new to this!

Just wanted to ask, say I wanted to insert new water tiles. Would that corrupt the already-existing water animations/would I have to add new water animations? Just thinking that finding tiles to use sounds hard enough without having to find and insert corresponding animations too! =P

Le pug

Years
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm very new to this!

Just wanted to ask, say I wanted to insert new water tiles. Would that corrupt the already-existing water animations/would I have to add new water animations? Just thinking that finding tiles to use sounds hard enough without having to find and insert corresponding animations too! =P

You have to add new water animations

Le pug

Years
Alright guys I found a new method to my madness for adding tiles to the hack and it's much simpler. So much simpler that the new video on the first page is TWENTY minutes shorter. So this updated tutorial will make your life easy. Have fun! Let me know if you have any questions. Just write them here.

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2016
Alright guys I found a new method to my madness for adding tiles to the hack and it's much simpler. So much simpler that the new video on the first page is TWENTY minutes shorter. So this updated tutorial will make your life easy. Have fun! Let me know if you have any questions. Just write them here.

I clicked this tutorial expecting some new tricks because right now tile insertion is slow and painful. And holy hell, you made my life A LOT easier by showing me this new tool (tileEditorAdvance). THANK YOU!

Only problem: When I first tried downloading tileEditorAdvance, Chrome didn't let me because it said it was potentially malicious, so I just downloaded it in Firefox instead. I can confirm that (so far) it is not malicious.

Le pug

Years
I clicked this tutorial expecting some new tricks because right now tile insertion is slow and painful. And holy hell, you made my life A LOT easier by showing me this new tool (tileEditorAdvance). THANK YOU!

Only problem: When I first tried downloading tileEditorAdvance, Chrome didn't let me because it said it was potentially malicious, so I just downloaded it in Firefox instead. I can confirm that (so far) it is not malicious.

I'm glad I could help. Also if anyone else is having problems, just download tilehelperadvance from any other site if you dont trust my dropbox : ]

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2015
As you said I tried you method but when I open the .pal in block editor it says
Advancemaperror(11): The file could not be open
This is after trying out your new tutorial please help as yours is the easiest I could find
edit: I used FR
edit: Same thing happens with emerald
also can you change the old tiles to new ones with the same method?

Last edited:

Le pug

Years
As you said I tried you method but when I open the .pal in block editor it says
Advancemaperror(11): The file could not be open
This is after trying out your new tutorial please help as yours is the easiest I could find
edit: I used FR
edit: Same thing happens with emerald
also can you change the old tiles to new ones with the same method?

are you using tilehelperadvance? make sure when you save your palette, you select the correct type of palette. if you are using 1.92 advancemap, choose that one not 1.95 or irfanview. They are all not compatible with each other

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2015
are you using tilehelperadvance? make sure when you save your palette, you select the correct type of palette. if you are using 1.92 advancemap, choose that one not 1.95 or irfanview. They are all not compatible with each other
I tried the same thing with a map 1.92 and it works! But the tileset 2 is saved in .dib
format. And when I put the new tile on it and then save it only a brown square exactly the size of my tile(same one you used) appears. Would it be because I did not completely copy the tile but just pasted it on the .dib with the pink color?

Le pug

Years
I tried the same thing with a map 1.92 and it works! But the tileset 2 is saved in .dib
format. And when I put the new tile on it and then save it only a brown square exactly the size of my tile(same one you used) appears. Would it be because I did not completely copy the tile but just pasted it on the .dib with the pink color?

so in tilehelperadvance you save the palette for 1.92 and you save the image too .. so if it's newtiles.png and then you convert it and get the palette, save it as newtiles2.png because it wont save it until you rename it. then open newtiles2.png in mspaint. go back to amap 1.92 and go to the palette # you wanna replace for example palette 6 ... then load up the palette you saved from tilehelperadvance and click write all changes to rom. then go to tileset and click save tileset 2. then open the tileset 2 in mspaint. then just get the newtiles2.png tiles and copy and paste them into the tileset 2. then save tileset 2. then go back to amap 1.92 and open the tileset 2 image. there you go

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2015
so in tilehelperadvance you save the palette for 1.92 and you save the image too .. so if it's newtiles.png and then you convert it and get the palette, save it as newtiles2.png because it wont save it until you rename it. then open newtiles2.png in mspaint. go back to amap 1.92 and go to the palette # you wanna replace for example palette 6 ... then load up the palette you saved from tilehelperadvance and click write all changes to rom. then go to tileset and click save tileset 2. then open the tileset 2 in mspaint. then just get the newtiles2.png tiles and copy and paste them into the tileset 2. then save tileset 2. then go back to amap 1.92 and open the tileset 2 image. there you go
So you use the same method to replace the tiles? Just paste then tile on top of the other tiles or something like that?
Thank you so much for your help!

Le pug

Years
So you use the same method to replace the tiles? Just paste then tile on top of the other tiles or something like that?
Thank you so much for your help!

well if you wanna get rid of all the other tiles you can just use your mouse and use the color picker and right click the background color of the tileset image and then select all and click delete and it'll delete everything but keep the same background color and you can easily put your new tiles in the image

Back