• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Apple or Microsoft

Years
  • Age 43
  • U.K.
  • Seen Mar 27, 2017
It appears to me that apple are on a slippery downhill spiral with their products and that Microsoft are really producing innovative designs for a better price that outperform significantly apple's high end products. I'm not sure what you all think?

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
Years
  • Age 28
  • US
  • Seen Feb 8, 2017
Apple will be fine. They have the sheep culture (mostly with their phones, but also with laptops), and if anything, that's only expanding.

Windows PCs will always be superior to Apple PCs because Apple refuses to license their OS, and it will always be cheaper to build (and be able to upgrade) your own hardware in the long run than buy a new computer outright every time you want to update the graphics card.

The thing is, it's not really that Microsoft is making those PCs. They really only are getting the ~100USD license for Windows, and the rest of that 2,000USD PC is going to parts manufacturers who are the ones actually being innovative. So in a way, Apple's model is better because they only have to sell one already overpriced device to get 10x or 20x the profit Microsoft gets for one license. And it works because people refuse to give up their Apple OS and have fallen into sheep culture with their Apple Phones.

So really they have two very different business models.

Riolu

Emanation Pokémon
Years
^

The "IDevice trend" is here to stay, so yeah, I don't think Apple's gonna have any problems either. They'll simply keep selling their overpriced products.

Microsoft; they keep delivering innovation and that's what makes them so good.
On the other hand, IPhones and IPads just become bigger every year and with very few substantial improvements, if none.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Windows PCs will always be superior to Apple PCs because Apple refuses to license their OS, and it will always be cheaper to build (and be able to upgrade) your own hardware in the long run than buy a new computer outright every time you want to update the graphics card.
You don't need Apple PC in order to use OS X.

Apple's brand is so strong that it'll be fine.

Microsoft is slowly going downhill when it comes to Windows, Windows Phone has always been epic flop and it's dying fast, it's only a matter of time when its development ends for good. Windows 10 is bad as well and according to Microsoft, it's the last Windows. I think that Linux has very good change to surpass Windows in desktop use in the future, it's already technically better but bad hardware and software support in desktop use is still big problem.

Last edited:

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
Years
  • Age 28
  • US
  • Seen Feb 8, 2017
You don't need Apple PC in order to use OS X:
link removed
Microsoft is slowly going downhill when it comes to Windows, Windows Phone has always been epic flop and it's dying fast, it's only a matter of time when its development ends for good. Windows 10 is bad as well and according to Microsoft, it's the last Windows. I think that Linux has very good change to surpass Windows in desktop use in the future, it's already technically better but bad hardware and software support in desktop use is still big problem.

What you linked is illegal and possibly against forum rules. You need and Apple PC to legally use Apple OS, period. Not to mention it's a much more convoluted process than installing Linux and Windows even if you look past the legalities so barely anyone does it. Because a majority of the people that could do it probably favor Linux anyways.

Are you saying Windows 10 was stated to be bad by Microsoft or is that just personal opinion? Because personally I love Windows 10. And Microsoft in general is going version-less, so it being the "last Windows" is not really a testament to it failing. They just want everyone on one platform, which is why Xbox is being merged into Windows 10 and Xbox is also going generation-less.

Linux will never surpass Windows. That's just the Linux-fanboy echo-chamber where they don't realize how annoying Linux is to handle for the average user. Even as a PC tech, Linux was too obnoxious for me to utilize even on a side-PC. Even if they solve the software support issue, which is not anything to sneeze at as far as making Linux unappealing, they'd have to dumb down the system a lot and start actually pushing to sell PCs out of the box with Linux installed. Good luck fighting Microsoft and Apple for physical market space.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
What you linked is illegal and possibly against forum rules. You need and Apple PC to legally use Apple OS, period.
Thanks for the information, I didn't know that it's illegal in the USA (it's legal in Finland). I removed the link from my post.

Are you saying Windows 10 was stated to be bad by Microsoft or is that just personal opinion?
It's pretty common opinion.

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
Years
  • Age 28
  • US
  • Seen Feb 8, 2017
Thanks for the information, I didn't know that it's illegal in the USA (it's legal in Finland). I removed the link from my post.

It's a breach of Apple's Licensing agreement, so you technically can't legally use their product while breaching their Contract. Not to mention since you can't buy an Apple OS license, a majority of people who do use that methodology also pirated the OS. The website itself probably doesn't have anything explicitly illegal to it such as torrents of Apple OS, but it's that grey area where it's promoting an illegal process.

As for the opinion on Windows 10, most was a kneejerk fuss over Microsoft's licence agreement (which I'm pretty sure also extended to Windows 7, Onedrive, and Outlook so the fuss was completely missing the mark). Windows 10 is less resource intensive than Windows 7, has access to DirectX 12, Workspace and Virtual Desktop management, Xbox access, and other quality of life improvements make it objectively better than Windows 7. People who prefer Windows 7 are mostly still wary from the mess that was Windows 8, or simply creatures of habit.

Years
What you linked is illegal and possibly against forum rules.
Please do not mini-mod. It is up to Incineroar, myself or any higher staff member here to enforce the rules. Use the report feature next time you believe rules are being broken and we will go from there.

I wouldn't say it's illegal, and we have had Hackintosh discussions in the past. As long as you do not link to ways to obtain software illegally, then be my guest to link to their site.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
I've always been a PC girl, and was pretty cynical of Mac (not necessarily Apple, as I've had both Android and iOS mobile devices and they both have pros and cons).

6 months ago I decided to get a Macbook Pro and honestly it's been pretty amazing. Due to travel I require a laptop style computer, and in comparison to my previous laptops running Windows I'm finding the Mac much nicer. For day to day tasks it's quick and snappy, the OS feels cleaner, and it runs a few of the MMO's I enjoy playing quite well. I do have Windows installed on a bootcamped partition for some games which don't have OSX support; but I probably spend 95% of my time on the OSX side.

It was pricey but I have no real regrets. My partner has a MBP which is 3 years old right now and its performance hasn't really deteriorated - it runs just as well as my newer one.

My needs are really just internet browsing, coding, and mild gaming - it meets them all exceptionally well.

The new MPB without any freaking ports though - well that's another story. If they haven't made changes to that design by the time I'm ready for a new laptop I will probably head back to a Windows one (assuming everyone else hasn't ditched all their ports too!). I really don't want 40 dongles just to be able to connect all my shiz.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
I'm not sure what you all think?
Well, I owned and still own some Apple products.
I had an iPhone 4s for a year and a half and I didn't quite like it, it got slow pretty quickly and it required iTunes or Jailbreaking for even the basic things (like downloading songs), so I sold it and got an LG G4 and I can assure you that I will never buy an iPhone again.

The Android ecosystem, in my opinion, is much well suited because you don't require any deep modding if you are happy with what you can do with Android right out of the box!
I also have an iPad 2 which is 5 years old and It is still (slowly and with a half dead WiFi Card) working, I really loved it!

Microsoft on the other hand is doing a pretty good job, although their products (like the Surfaces Tablets) are quite pricy.

The new MPB without any freaking ports though. [...] I really don't want 40 dongles just to be able to connect all my shiz.
I also share this thought, It's a great step forward adding those thunderbolt ports but then you will have to carry a lot of dongles and also spend a lot of money on them.
But, based on my personal experience, I prefer Windows.
We have a Mac Lab at school and those computer are A PAIN to use, maybe it's me... I don't know. ~_~

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Mircosoft slowly going down, but Mac keep it stable despite how ridiculous they produce same phone with so called "S" or "S+" and add a price to boot. Mircosoft have a handy situation like surface pro, but not so much about their phone though.

Just how possible to install a PC onto a MAC based laptop?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Apple is popular among people like my parents - they're relatively easy to use and the lack of significant changes in each new generation mean they can get "upgraded" devices every couple years without the need to learn many new functions. The simplicity is preferred by old people, people who aren't really into customization and all that, just want a phone that they can trust to do the job, etc. And I feel like just because it's such an established brand, people will continue to see iPhones as the go-to smartphone whenever they are shopping for a new phone - the "sheep culture", as yrmrku put it. Not true of every iPhone user, of course, but I think it happens often enough for Apple to stay in the game.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
My phone have been Apple for a few years now, and my computers have always been Microsoft, and I like it that way. My iPhones have run much smoother than the one or two Androids I had as my first cellphones. PC wise, I'm so used to Microsoft that if you stick me on an Apple comp I will know where nothing is, and it doesn't feel as user friendly to me. Also ironically it's graphics and what not aren't as impressive, despite the fact that a lot of people use Apple for it's art and design programs. I still prefer my Windows PCs.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Just how possible to install a PC onto a MAC based laptop?
Mac laptops have a "Bootcamp" utility which is basically a wizard for partitioning your hard drive and installing a windows operating system. It's really user friendly and easy to use.

My iPhones have run much smoother than the one or two Androids I had as my first cellphones. Also ironically it's graphics and what not aren't as impressive, despite the fact that a lot of people use Apple for it's art and design programs. I still prefer my Windows PCs.
I agree with this. I was an avid iPhone user, and my last two have been Google Nexus phones (android). I will be moving back to the iPhone for my next cellphone, I feel they are much smoother also.
Interesting about the graphics - I find the retina display on the MBP is absolutely stunning and is a clear cut above my non-Mac laptop.

Years
I actually made the windows to mac switch last month whilst planning on my laptop upgrade, don't regret it at all. Only downside is that I bought a Galaxy S7 Edge fairly recently and I'm too lazy for the workaround to use the two devices together... should've waited.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 17, 2019
i've always used windows, but very much dislike apple phones so

Years
i still will stick with microsoft even though win 10 has its issues hell from what i heard microsoft will be pulling back from the forced updates crap the asus laptop i have natively came with win8 home but the win10 iso i used was modified to force win10 pro to install instead of reading os type from the bios

Back