• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen ISSHU WHY MUST YOU HAVE BECOME UNOVA!!!!!

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 2, 2024
I like both, really. I liked the region when it was called Isshu, and I got pretty used to it until the region's name was localized as Unova in other regions, and I didn't like it at first, but I eventually got used to it, and I like it now, much like the other people in this thread. If I had to choose, though, I'd choose Isshu just for nostalgia like Nica, lol.

Mentalii

Back
Years
None, ah ah, I prefer the french name, Unys :P
No but seriously, between the two, I prefer Unova. It sounds a little weird but Isshu is even worse... I definitely prefer the other region names, be it Japanese or English, these new ones aren't really good I think.

zlip

______
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2013
I know it sucks. I still call the B/w pokemon their japanese names and my friends have no idea what im talking about.

Years
Unlike both names because my sister's name is Nova and Isshu sounds really cool. Someone on the forums earlier made a joke about Isshu because it sounds like issue lol.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I just call it the "5th gen region." Isshu doesn't appeal to me, but Unova makes me think of this:

1972-chevrolet-nova.jpg

Early '70's Chevrolet Nova. Every time I hear that name Unova, the Chevy Nova comes immediately to mind. Not that it's a bad thing, though, that car was awesome, but I find it weird that I'm associating a Pokemon region with an automobile that hasn't been manufactured in over 20 years...

Orophin

Gamer
Years
This topic has too many "isshu"s. :P

But yeah, I like Unova better by far. I find Isshu doesn't really flow off my tongue and its not a combination of syllables that you find together a lot in English.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I really loved Isshu! Especially when making puns out of it. I guess you could make some puns out of Unova as well, but it isn't as cool imo. Still both are great names, but I guess Unova puts more meaning for the region, whereas I have no idea what Isshu is supposed to mean or relate to New York.

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
Years
I dislike Unova, but I don't neccesairily prefer Isshu. I mean, if I had to pick one, then yeah, Isshu. I think Unova sounds waaaay too modernized. It reminds me of a power plant or something. At least Isshu sounds somewhat classic.

Years
I disliked Unova at first after hearing the news of the english name for the region, but it's not as a big deal to me anymore. I wouldn't mind it being Isshu or Unova.

Raizhu

the end
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2012
I called it Isshu until the English name came out. Simple. You got an Isshu with that?

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2013
Both. It doesn't really matter to me. Sometimes I say Isshu and sometimes I say Unova.

A lot of my friends say Isshu is an Isshu. :-P

Years
Unova is a cool name! Thanks English translators!

I'm looking forward to this amazing beast of a region, Castelia almost looks like a real city.

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2012
Unova is the worst region everything name ever. I still call it Isshu.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I probably would have preferred if they had kept Isshu. I remember the trouble with pronouncing Unova when it was first revealed. I've gotten used to it though (like pretty much everything else that I didn't like to start with). Unova still sounds like more of a Pokemon Ranger region to me.
qDZhw.png

Words with friends doesn't approve of Unova.

Back