• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think I used to run several sites on the virtual server running through localhost in my old PC, even though it was more into testing stuffs like CMS or some MediaWiki stuffs.

Years
It's definitely better to run a local-side copy of web applications before you publish them, that way you can do internal testing to make sure it runs fine and won't crash before publishing it server-side and making it public. :)

Years
That too. Although I found out with my ISP that it's against their TOS to host anything unless you have a business account that was set up with the intents of hosting content (They even prohibit IRC servers!). Funny enough, the access points that they give to consumers has DynDNS support built into them, which is basically entirely in contradiction of that clause.
So it's against their TOS to run a web server locally?!

Years
If it doesn't communicate externally, then you're fine. An in-house fileserver would be permitted, but if I were to, say, run a mail server that could get my daily email or run an IRC server for the users of some website, then that isn't permitted.
Definitely. Does your ISP block use of traffic on Ports 80 and 25?

I ran my IRC server on my home server for a little over four years before switching it to a DigitalOcean droplet.

Years
Not on 80, but it looks like they do block on 25. I guess if I set up a mail server I can just use a custom port and tell my mail applications to check on that port instead of the default. No biggie.
I had tried that in the past and it didn't work, but that was before I had my own domain as well. Hmm...

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
A part of me wants to buy a new 2-in-1 laptop/tablet and be done with it. Another part of me wants me to wait for a bit more just in case any new announcements happen.

The thing is, these 2-in-1s seem perfect as it is... I'm hard-pressed to see anything Kaby Lake could provide significantly better than what is already on Skylake CPUs.

It's nice to be able to want things... sometimes I think the 2-in-1 models need a refresh badly. It's like for some reason it's lagging.

Years
Phew, after two hours of working on my site, I have my fingers crossed that I optimized the fuck out of it, and hope that it doesn't crash.

A part of me wants to buy a new 2-in-1 laptop/tablet and be done with it. Another part of me wants me to wait for a bit more just in case any new announcements happen.

The thing is, these 2-in-1s seem perfect as it is... I'm hard-pressed to see anything Kaby Lake could provide significantly better than what is already on Skylake CPUs.

It's nice to be able to want things... sometimes I think the 2-in-1 models need a refresh badly. It's like for some reason it's lagging.
Is there task in particular you think you could accomplish with a 2-in-1 that you wouldn't be able to with a normal laptop?

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Phew, after two hours of working on my site, I have my fingers crossed that I optimized the **** out of it, and hope that it doesn't crash.

Is there task in particular you think you could accomplish with a 2-in-1 that you wouldn't be able to with a normal laptop?

Downsizing the amount of mobile things I have?

The first-generation Surface RT is slow as molasses when visiting many web sites now.

The gaming laptop I have, I rarely use it ever since I've gotten this desktop, and I don't really bring it out as much as I could due to its size and weight.

Since I'm no longer having graphics power as a priority, a 2-in-1 running a Core m3 or i5 seems like the best fit now. It'd be smaller and lighter than a "normal" laptop, and I also can get rid of my tablet which is rapidly becoming dead weight due to lack of performance. Moving from tablet guts to laptop guts should also make it a lot less likely to be obsoleted, given that people can still do fine with a decade-old system today.

In fact, if I could, I'd have already bought the Acer Switch Alpha 12. Think Surface Pro 3's everything, make it cheap, make it include the keyboard and stylus in the first place, and make it fan-less (despite running a 15W processor). I don't mind having a slightly less sharp (though still very high-resolution, given that it's still 2160x1440) display, or having 5 hours of battery life to 7, compared to the current-gen Surface Pro 4.

The thing is, neither Acer nor Microsoft have gotten around to refreshing their Surface (clones) with Kaby Lake CPUs yet. Would be nice if I got myself a few hundred extra hertz and video chip.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
I just ordered my new phone (a refurb nexus 5) and I'm thinking of installing multiROM on it, and am curious if anyone here has used it before and if so if they have any tips installing it correctly?

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It's pretty hard trying to resist the urge of upgrading your desktop given all the hot new products that are just now coming out...

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Being tempted to upgrading to new computer hardware is definitely a thing... been thinking of getting my CPU swapped out for an i7-4790K, or even just change the motherboard and RAM to support either a 7700K or the R7 1700. Hmm...

Years
Being tempted to upgrading to new computer hardware is definitely a thing... been thinking of getting my CPU swapped out for an i7-4790K, or even just change the motherboard and RAM to support either a 7700K or the R7 1700. Hmm...
Any updates on if you want to upgrade or not?

I really need a new Android device. It seems my Nexus 7 is getting slow these days, and my Moto G barely has enough storage.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Any updates on if you want to upgrade or not?

I really need a new Android device. It seems my Nexus 7 is getting slow these days, and my Moto G barely has enough storage.

I think I probably won't really need updating in any form for the time being.

Perhaps one day I'll find an actual reason, but that day is not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back