• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Worldbuilding] Question regarding 'PokéSpeak'

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
Hello all. Is there a general consensus as far as how 'PokéSpeak' should be written or does it not matter? I've been away from writing for a long time and am working on a story where one of the main characters is a Pokemon. Whenever he speaks, should it look like, "Hello, I am speaking." or use a different punctuation [such as brackets] or 'use apostrophes around it?'

Basically, I want to have said character be able to talk within quotation marks without any special formatting. However, I want to know if that's seen as acceptable within the community, as I think some people may feel only human characters should speak without special formatting to avoid confusion.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I think it's fine whatever way you want to go about it, as long as you make the distinction that only certain people or pokemon could understand what was being said. If you're using telepathy as an excuse, regular quotations would be fine. But if the Pokemon are using their native tongues, then I prefer to use 'this is me speaking', since I typically save italics for inner thoughts, and brackets or parenthesis I feel are too invasive. As long as you make note of its meaning the first time it comes up in character, then it will carry through the entire script until you note otherwise.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
I have never seen any particular guidelines for marking dialogue for Pokémon, or for nonhumans / nonmains general, when writing i paper or paperlike medium. The availability of stuff like italics is taken for granted (they have been there for over 200 years for a reason) but if you don't want to have to mingle with them, there's several options, even if I would not really be able to say that any of them is popular as in "in the majority".

In fact, the only more or less certain guideline that I have seen shared across authors, genres or cultures for describing dialogue or voice in writing when in printed media is that dialogue or voice that comes from a PA or some other kind of external audio source (such as say a recording the characters are listening to) is put in a line or paragraph of its own and without any sort of dialogue tag like "X said".

If you don't want to use typographical formatting attributes but you are okay with typographical elements otherwise (I mean, you will be using quotation symbols for the dialogue unless you do it the Iberian Spanish style, anyway....), you can change the dialogue / quotation marker depending on the nature of the dialogue, for example "hello" for spoken dialogue (regardless of who the speaker is) and «hello» for "transmitted" dialogue, such as a faraway echo, a mental broadcast, something like that. Then, you use dialogue tags to assist in the description of who is doing the speaking if the context needs it. Most of the time readers can figure out who is speaking or how.

Back