• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
This was bound to come up ofc (given that there's already type combinations!) So given that gen 2 introduced new types, and BW represented gen 1... and this would technically be "gen 2" according to that (although patterns are nothing), do you think now is the right time to introduce new typings? Do you think there will be new types? What kind of types would you like to see?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't see any new types being added in again. Neither of the big legends look like they have a new type, so really I don't see the point in adding more now. Could easily be wrong because...well Pokemon X and Pokemon Y.

blue

gucci
Years
I just can't see it happening, it would make things very messy and I think if they were going to they would have already.

dieter57

pokemon master
Years
Some speculation on other sites think there is a possible new digital type. I wouldn't like that idea. If any new types are introduced, I hope it is the sound type. We already have a bunch of past gen Pokemon that are related to sound. Exploud family, chatot, kricketune, jiggilypuff family. And we have a bunch of moves that would fit nicely into the sound category.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
It could happen, but I hope for the sake of the type balance that it doesn't. I think the addition of new types has been a redundant idea since Gen II.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

^^ I agree. Although a problem would be there would only be like 10 sound types from gens 1-5, so there would have to be quite a few in the new gen to balance it out. But I personally think that types won't be changed, there is enough change already.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
It could happen, but I hope for the sake of the type balance that it doesn't. I think the addition of new types has been a redundant idea since Gen II.

Seconded. They better balance the current one before even more break it with the introduction of new types.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Some speculation on other sites think there is a possible new digital type. I wouldn't like that idea. If any new types are introduced, I hope it is the sound type. We already have a bunch of past gen Pokemon that are related to sound. Exploud family, chatot, kricketune, jiggilypuff family. And we have a bunch of moves that would fit nicely into the sound category.

ooo I like the idea of digital type! I wonder what'd fit into that though, it'd probably be weak to psychic... maybe? I think it could be likely given the whole X/Y thing and DNA is... seen digitally. In... places.

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
It's very possible that new types will be introduced,
I have no idea what types does two legends have.
Well they should make new types,
and add more interesting features,the population might increase.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
If they base this generation on DNA, I think they might bring a new typing into the game, with all the scientist playing around with DNA and all, they might bring a new.

Years
I doubt it. They brought in Steel and Dark purely to even things out, Psychic was overpowered and... I don't know. I read a decent explanation somewhere once, and while I can't remember it word for word, I know that it's unlikely and unnecessary for more new types to be introduced. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I think its way too far off into the franchise to introduce a new type.Its highly unlikely that there will be a new type and it would be awkward if there was.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
A slither of a chance of such a thing happening, but if it did, I really do hope they introduce a Light Type to counter Dark Types. (And yes, people can say Fire and Psychic together would suffice as a Light Type, but why then do Ice types exist if they're really just water in a solid state? Why doesn't that apply in this instance?)

I've been contemplating the idea of a Digital Type...and eh...I'm a bit wishy-washy on it. Perhaps a Cosmic/Space Type? It'd definitely cater for Pokemon like Solrock, Lunatone, Deoxys, the Cleffa line, Starmie, Jirachi etc.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
No new types please ;~;

I'd be perfectly fine and pretty excited for new type combos but not new types...

The current typing is fine as it is, there isn't much necessity to add more.

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
There was a post about there being the Digital type. However that was quickly proven false.

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2013
I would like to see a light type introduced to counteract the dark type. There is also room for other types like a star/space/cosmic type (the Cleffa line, Lunatone, Solrock, Deoxys), a sound type (Jigglypuff line, Whismur line, Chatot), and virtual/digital type (the Porygon line) I have ideas for other types but they may be redundant, like a magic type(already have psychic), a gas type(already have poison), and a wind/air type(already have flying).

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'm not sure how a digital type would differ from an electric / steel type though; otherwise the Magnemite family would have some major reconsideration of re-typing. o3o I think the types will remain as is; it was quite the hassle of keeping up with all the other types as it is... xD

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
It's been bought up time and time again, the only reason new types were added in G/S/C was to balance the whole type system. As much as it'd freshen up everything it'd cause a whole lot of trouble, with people thinking that previous pokemon should be re-typed and what have you. It'd cause more trouble than it's worth, everything's already balanced as it is. Regarding the Gen 5 being a New gen 1, that holds no merit, it's a very odd and strange theory.

Back