• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is it worth buying White 2 if I already have White?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Hi everyone.
So yesterday I missed an auction on eBay for a White 2, which was unopened and was being sold just because it was a gift and the receiver already had the game.
I just stood there and watched the seconds as they passed until the game got sold for only $30..
I just didn't know if should I had bought it or not. I already have White and I did really like it, but the game was kinda easy to beat, there were indeed a lot of new strong Pokemon.

However, can anyone tell me if I did the right thing or not? If not, should I start looking for White 2? What's the big deal, from what I've read online there are just a couple of new locations on the map you're able to beat previous gym leaders and also get some Pokemon since the beginning.

I am a Pokemon fan don't get me wrong, but I just don't know if I should invest time on a game that is similar to the previous one or not.

I'd appreciate any reply,
THank you.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yes, White 2 is totally worth buying. It has improved features over the original White, like the World Tournament, move tutors and an expanded storyline.

blue

gucci
Years
White 2 is better than White IMO, it includes all of the cities you visited previously and more. Since it's a direct sequel I recommend getting it to follow up on the story.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Black 2/White 2 seem, in my opinion, like more complete games. Black/White seemed to rush to a completed production leaving fully half of Unova unexplored whereas B2/W2 try to give you something to do everywhere on the map (except in the old starting town, but even in Nacrene you can pick up something post-game, and the Route 3 breeder is still there). Even in the main area a couple of spots are closed until post-E4; those are Icirrus City and Black City/White Forest; the latter is in the closed Eastern Unova area from before, this time with a broken Marvelous Bridge elevator and a row of guys in the Black City gate who say they may someday randomly disappear (of course, using an Action Replay and walking through walls will deke around the latter for those who like to cheat), the former is blocked off due to a closed Twist Mountain and a random "weight test" on Tubeline Bridge that goes on for days (until the E4 fall).

So yes, the path is still somewhat generic, but there are a lot of new areas that encompass the ending of the maingame. Yes, Castelia City is a repeat, but you can train in the sewers and Relic Passage when you first arrive. Route 4 is changed depending on the game, Relic Castle isn't as big. Nimbasa is Nimbasa, but your character can get a boyfriend or girlfriend here to later trade Pokémon with. *snicker* Yes, Route 5 and the Driftveil Drawbridge are the same (there's a Hidden Grotto on Route 5, and the first one you encounter in the game). Driftveil City is totally different except for the Market and the Pokémon Center, with four hotels. PWT to the south is new. Route 6, Chargestone, Route 7, and Mistralton are no different except for the Mistralton Gym and more Grotto locations. You then fly to Lentimas, which is new, and Reversal Mountain is all-new (check out the Strange House while here), ending up at Undella (which is new to the maingame). Lots of repeating again, with Cobalion and Virizion appearing to make things interesting (random tidbit; after the Opelucid City events, if you have yet to battle Virizion, it's standing between attacks on Route 11 unfazed; WTH?). After you finish in Opelucid City, everything is brand-new except the Giant Chasm area (which you find via a new entrance as it's closed from Route 13 until you visit the other side of a boulder, and even the forest area underneath can be called new because of events there that later leave destroyed forestry everywhere), and the last glimpse of something familiar in the maingame is part of the old Victory Road and the Pokémon League.

So yes, in my opinion, there is enough new about the game to warrant getting and playing it. Plus you have a 300 Pokémon Unova Dex this time, instead of just the new 156.

Then there's the Move Tutors for Shards, the Medal Rally...but I won't spoil any more.

I just wish using Memory Link exposed part of the old Route 10 and put it back on the map. It'd be neat to step into the area and see the rocks all blocking the way.

Cyclone

Last edited:
Years
White 2 (and or Black 2) is (are) definitely worth getting.. as the others have said the storyline is indeed a real sequel to Black & White and there are more features. While you cannot catch Tornadus or Thundurus directly in the game(s), you certainly have the chance to capture more Legendaries throughout the game. Also, the regional Pokédex in Black 2 and White 2 now consists of Pokémon from all generations, even at the beginning of the game, and not just Generation 5 Pokémon.

Years
White 2 (and or Black 2) is (are) definitely worth getting.. as the others have said the storyline is indeed a real sequel to Black & White and there are more features. While you cannot catch Tornadus or Thundurus directly in the game(s), you certainly have the chance to capture more Legendaries throughout the game. Also, the regional Pokédex in Black 2 and White 2 now consists of Pokémon from all generations, even at the beginning of the game, and not just Generation 5 Pokémon.

Zach has basically covered it all.

You should definitely get White 2, since you already have White and it's a continuation from White. Also, you get Reshiram in White 2 like how you get Zekrom in White.

And this is not just some improved game like Emerald or Platinum or Crystal or Yellow, this is a real sequel.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Hey guys, thank you very much for your replies.
I really don't care about legendaries because I've never really used them, neither in-game nor competitively, but I was just hoping it wasn't like White, where you would just beat the gym leaders and proceed to the next city. Just like you said, there were a lot of locations on the map that are left un-explored...
And btw I have recently got a Reshiram from the GTS, traded it with a level 1 Zorua, lol.
Thank you very much.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I'm also going to add that you DO really just cross a bridge to get to the next gym, but since their levels are higher than the previous leader, the game kind of forces you to go out and explore so that you can train your Pokemon. It's a good thing! It seemed like you were really exploring since Unova is actually a lot different than it was in White. It's the same region, but the journey doesn't feel the same at all!

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Yes. Although I've never played :( I tend to spoil things for myself :P and it's not like Platinum with minor add-ons, it's a whole new experience, it's not a remake, it's like a sequel so I truly recommend it, but as I've said, I've never played so I can't say much and I don't want to spoil anything for you like I did to myself xD

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2014
Definitely.

The older Pokemon mixed with the new one improved things by a huge margin, and you can get a good mix of types early on. Only one badge in on Black 2 and I already have two water types, two electrics, and a fire (could have two, but for some reason I was having trouble catching it). For comparison, at about three badges in on the first Black, my typing is really, really bad.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
This question comes up a lot, and it doesn't really warrant it's own thread. So unfortunately I'll have to close this.

I'd suggest you do some digging around for information on the games. While opinions from others may help, deciding for yourself is ultimately what it will come down to. White 2 is an entirely different game, though. That much I can promise. But again, this is for you to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back