• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Worst memories from GSC

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

That seems to be the case for the older Pokemon games anyway. I'm sure you all have a handful of super frustrating times while playing GSC back in the day! So, what are your most frustrating memories from the metal generation? Vent below!

Years
Once I knew what a Shiny Pokémon was, I happened to be in the route just below Blackthorn city and a Shiny Wild Teddiursa appeared in tall grass. I managed to hurt it a bit and I was ready to catch it, when the message about the current box being full displayed on the screen. I think I left Pokémon for months after that.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
My first run through I didn't save enough berries to help the sick miltank! I know it's not a critical point for the game, but I'm a completionist so spent ages backtracking through the routes to find berries again.

Honestly though, GSC is my favorite generation and I don't have too many frustrating memories.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I didn't realize I couldn't get a second chance at catching Suicune after you knocked it out, and as such I could never get not only Suicune, but Ho-oh as well. So I had to start over my game which had like over 200+ Pokédex entries I had gotten all by myself. It wasn't too awful since thankfully I could store my team in Stadium 2, but for young me, it was still tough to do.

Years
My worst memory in gen 2 would be the moment where i Had my dream team in Pokemon Silver and i was just ready to get challenge the Elite four But then the game crashed and refused to play soon after that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 12, 2022
I think the worst thing for me was all the rumors that went around about ways you could get Celebi or Mew or whatever. They were all completely fake, of course, but myself being young and stupid, had to try each one of them.

Oh, and how about those ice puzzles in Ice Path? I got stuck on the first big ice floor puzzle for way too long.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
Clair. I was never properly leveled and she doesn't even give me a badge for winning right away. Wild Pokemon around Blackthorn are too low leveled to be of any use and I never got a Dratini because I'm no good at the Game Corner, so I always had to pay out the ears for revives and pray that I get a few good critical hits on her stupid Kingdra.

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
For some dumb ass reason I thought Miltank evolved into Magby because Mag came after Mil in the Pokedex and my dumb ass naive 10 year old brain wasn't smart enough to be like 'herp derp Magmar Magby" so I trained a Miltank to level 100 and it didn't evolve and I was so MAD.

blue

gucci
Years
i think it was struggling to defeat whitney and not being aware of type advantages and other strategies other than just going all out attacking. i must've lost to her sooo many times back then.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Whitney's Miltank and Chuck's Poliwrath... Back then, I barely trained my Pokémon, I just skipped as much battles as I could.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I'd also have to say a mix between Whitney and Clair. Whitney was stupidly hard and her Miltank was just the icing on the cake. Not going in with a strategy was my biggest mistake against her. As for Clair, her stupid Kingdra made me so mad to the point where I actually threw my game across the room. I'm pretty sure she kept critting me with Hyper Beam :(

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I completed my Pokedex, had like two full boxes of level 100 Pokemon and a bunch of shinies and when I wanted to pick the game up again a couple years later, it just told me that the battery run dry and the save was lost. <_<

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2019
That it's not on VC yet.

Going round Kanto was a let-down to be honest.
All the decent landmarks were gone, and closed down.
;w;

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Accidentally released my starter (Totodile) my first time through Gold. Had to use a Wooper the rest of the way.

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 26, 2018
Grinding in general sucks, but grinding for Red is so damn tedious. I try to get my Pokemon to around 77, but all the wild Pokemon are all in the 40s, and they give so little EXP. I had to grind for so long that I found a shiny Tangela and I was forced to use my Master Ball that I was saving for Ho-Oh to catch it (since Tangela could run, and all my Pokemon would have one-shot it). If only Gen 6 EXP Share existed in GSC. A Lucky Egg would have been a bit helpful as well.

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
Years
Battling Whitney's Miltank brings back flashbacks. No matter how prepared I think I am, I still struggle against it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2023
The bitch at my school stealing my cartridge. I had no proof but i knew she did it. couldn't do anything. i had just caught my first and ONLY shiny in all the games i've ever played(arbok). i was so happy.

rip shiny arbok. I loved you, no matter how little i knew you.

Years
Going through Whirl Islands for the first time, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing lmao. Grinding for Red was really tedious too and Whitney is always annoying to fight.

Back