• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] The Pokémon Sword & Shield Sales Rumor

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
What's happening, guys? No one of us is sure about whether Pokémon Sword and Shield will be commercial successes or failures in sales and pre-sales. Why? This is because many fans are angry about these games over graphics and animations, trees, flocks flying Wingull over the tall grasses, a lack of National Pokédex, Mega Evolutions and Z-moves and regional variants and any other reasons. But we'll see right after the original release. If you think they're commercial successes, what what do you think happens? If you think they're commercial failures, do you think that the Pokémon main franchise ends or what do you think happens? Please let me know. Thanks. ;)

Years
I understand that a lot of people are concerned about the quality of these games after Game Freak's statement(s) and are pretty much perfectly willing to shred every trailer from here on out for evidence of "high quality animations", but outside of social media where a typical parent is debating on a birthday present for their kid, this kind of controversy would barely reach them (if ever), and will be the bulk of Pokemon's purchases.

So no, SwSh won't tank. Unless you know millions of other people that also won't buy the games, it's safe to say these games will be fine and will sell just like any other.

As far as what happens afterwards? Obviously no one knows, but one can be hopeful that Game Freak takes into consideration fan "feedback" (for lack of a better term) moving forward as far as working on their next Pokemon project is concerned. Maybe they're waiting to see how Town does in sales before jumping full-force into Pokemon gaming again.

If they fail, then it's doubtful that Pokemon main franchise would end, because regardless of how many copies sold, it's still a huge money maker for the franchise as a whole. What people need to understand is that the games are just one facet of Pokemon; there's the merchandise, the anime, the manga, the TCG, etc. The games, even if undersold, can as a promotional figure for all the other facets of the franchise. 5 million SwSh copies sold might be a "failure" in the grand scheme of things, but that's 5 million perhaps extra people that might be encouraged to buy more SwSh-themed merch to make up for that loss, so there's that.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Nah, the games will still sell millions of copies and the franchise will continue. Suggesting otherwise is just frankly silly. It could sell more or less than other titles, but there's very little chance of this bombing. You don't get to be the 2nd biggest vg franchise on vg sales alone for nothing. At any rate, early news suggests preorders have been good.
and regional variants
There's been nothing official saying it will or won't be regional varients. A leak that has been very accurate (character details, Gigantamaxing, etc) suggests we can expect something to happen on this too.

BTW, you titled this thread with 'rumour' - do you have a specific source on rumours with sales, or are you just speculating based on other stuff mentioned like no national dex or animation stuff (which already have their own discussion threads)?

Last edited:
Years
It'll be a success. Those who are upset make up a very small portion of the fanbase, and the young children alone (who care very little about the issues raised by certain people in the Pokémon community) can carry the entire franchise and keep sales high. The series is popular enough to keep doing well without maximum effort by the developers. So yeah, I'm not concerned about this at all, personally.

Couples-Consoling

Husband and Wife Nuzlocke Let's Players!
Years
I want to play the games, and I'm sure I'll at least have some fun, but I do wish there was a better mechanic built into how we buy things to express displeasure beyond just going and shouting online or just not buying it. I'm not the sort to get real upset over anything in Sword and Shield, but I can't help but feeling it looks a bit rushed, a bit slapped together, and I wish I could tell the creators that I'd just like them to take like another year next time they make these things. I'm eager for new pokemon, but I can afford to wait.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
The game being a success will only encourage GF to keep making low content games with over half the Pokedex missing and very little in the way of postgame.

Back