• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] Kimbo's Rainbow Run.

Years
Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and girls, Children of all ages, welcome to the introductory post of ...
KIMBO'S RAINBOW RUN

The Challenge is:
This is a series of Monotype Challenges, all taking place with the same 'trainer', as every region requires him to train in a specific type. As there are currently 7 generations, 7 colours in the rainbow, thought it would be a fun little gimmick for a challenge. Each colour will represent a type, and to avoid any benefit to be gained by myself, I got my partner who has a very base understanding of Pokemon to choose the types.
Also added the rule that Starter Types cannot be used, meaning I always have to catch something.

Colours will be used in the order of the Rainbow nursery rhyme I grew up with, so :
KANTO - Red- Fighting-Played on Fire Red.
JOHTO-Yellow- Electric-Played on Gold.
HOENN- Pink- Psychic-Omega Ruby
SINNOH- Green- Bug-Platinum
UNOVA- Purple- Ghost-White 2
KALOS-Orange-Ground-X
ALOLA-Blue-Ice-Moon

RULES
1) Can only use one type per region.
2)The first Pokemon must be obtained bt the 1st gym. In the 3 regions where this is not possible (Johto, Unova and Alola), I will be adding one of a pre-planned team of 6 in very early to be my first Pokemon in the region. (They are planned on being Elekid for Johto, Golett for Unova and Snorunt for Alola).
3) Can only catch Pokemon found in your game, no hacking or trading allowed with the exception of the above rule or for trade evolutions, which I will attempt to limit.
4)Kanto will be played on a hacked ROM that allows trade evolutions to evolve via level up
5) Challenge ends once all 7 Pokemon Leagues are won (only going through Johto half of the Generation 2 games.)
6) No glitches or cheats will be exploited during the course of this run.
7) This run will have a story focussed Narrative, that I really hope you enjoy accompanying it.
8)Pokemon used can only be of the chosen type for the region
9)If a Pokemon is eligible for two different regions, it can only be used in one.

Any questions, comments or general feedback is welcome, and if the challenge itself is too similar to the Monotype to be allowed, I am happy to remove it.

Last edited:
Years
PROLOGUE
ROCKET SON HAS LICENSE APPROVED
Most restricted license in UNP History!
Article by Gabby Rosendale

Giovanni's only legitimized child, Mattias Rossi aged 10, has had a 6-month review into his application to be a Pokemon trainer approved. The United Nations of Pokemon have approved the youngster's request, after monitoring his and his mother, Delila, contact with others and confirming they have no contact with Giovanni. However, they have restricted Mattias license.

The restrictions are as follows
  • Mattias is not obligated to be assisted by any region professor.
  • Mattias is only able to use one type of Pokemon per region.
  • Should Mattias chose to travel to different regions, he is unable to take any Pokemon with him.
  • Mattias must use a different type in each region.
  • Mattias does not gain a starter Pokemon in any region.

Whilst young Mattias ultimate intentions are unknown, famous trainer Red, who originally exposed Giovanni for the criminal mastermind he is had this to say. "It is disgusting they are allowing this kid the opportunity to follow in his father's footsteps! Team Rocket has been and continues to be, an ongoing problem in Kanto, and Johto, and now we are giving them someone to follow since his dad went into the shadows."

Whether he is an innocent child or Giovanni's latest Pawn is yet to be seen, however, you can guarantee all eyes will be on Mattias Rossi, as he makes his Splash into the Pokemon world.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
That's very interesting. I love how the story is framing your rules. Keep it up!

Years
Thank you for the likes and feedback guys :)

Day 1
Dear Journal,
Today was the big day my Trainers License was handed to me. I packed up my bag with my essentials, a couple of potions I'd got from the PokeMart with my pocket earned from doing odd jobs around the building, and my journal. I was ready.

I headed out of my small room, and outside, stood just inside the doorway of the apartment, was my Mom, eyes wet with tears, though she smiled warmly at me. "I never thought you'd get this chance, Matty, I am so happy for you!" She crouches and took me in her embrace, I cuddle back, not knowing when I'll see her again, I feel fresh tears fall on my cheek. She pulls me tighter. "Please just stay safe." She says voice barely a whisper. I nod, barely trusting myself to speak in the moment. She relaxes the embrace and pulls herself up to her full height. "You don't think I'm gonna let you go out there with just that rucksack do you ?" She says to me, her smile back on her face. I look confused, I know we barely made enough to get by. Mom laughs at my confusion. "Don't worry, it's all good, I've been working late's at the PokeMart, and saving up, praying this day would come." She hands you 5 Pokeball's, and an old Pokedex. It wasn't the latest model, but it worked and accepted my ID.
"Hello Matias," it said, voice croaky and robotic, "I am Dexter, your personal Pokemon Encyclopedia!"
"Mom.." I stammer out, "You shouldn't have..really it's too much." She smiles at me and kisses my cheek.
"It's an investment," She jokes. "When you prove everyone wrong and become the Pokemon Master I know you can be, just remember to look after me." I hug her again, smiling.

I finish my goodbye's in the apartment building with Mom, before exiting out into Viridian City. It was a slightly overcast but warm day, the city bustling with veteran trainers heading to Indigo Plateau, and newcomers coming from Pallet Town. I smile and head out to the west, with a clump of veteran trainers, all comparing Pokemon and memories of battles. A small Mankey jumps out in front of these trainers, One of them send out a Dodrio, and swiftly Peck the Pokemon unconscious. The veterans carry on their walking and talking, recalling the Dodrio back to its ball. Seizing the opportunity, a throw a Pokeball at the Mankey, and watch the ball shake a couple of times, before returning to my hand. I did it, I had caught my first Pokemon. Dexter informed me it was a female Mankey. I named her Ronda.

After taking Ronda to the Pokemon Center to heal, I let her out of her ball and walked with her for a while. She was a lot stronger than most of the wild Pokemon around Viridian, that became very obvious, very quickly, but she was determined, treating all other wild Pokemon with the same respect they showed her and was single minded in her desire to become stronger still. We spent the day training around Viridian, before retiring to the Pokemon Center to get some needed rest.

TEAM
20090819233437%21056Mankey.png

Ronda The Mankey- No Item
Female/Level 7/Vital Spirit/Hardy
Scratch/Low Kick/Leer​

Signing off,
Mattias

Years
Day 2
Dear Journal,
I woke up to see Ronda out of her ball, sitting in the dawn sunlight outside. I went out to her and sat next to her. She glanced at me and I smiled warmly. The slowly warming morning, the caw's of Spearow's and Coo's of Pidgey filled the air. I broke Ronda of a chunk of my Razz Berry Jam Breakfast bagel, which she demolished in record time. I chuckled as I slung my rucksack on my back, my Mankey soon found its way on to my shoulder.

Our journey took us through the nearby Viridian Forest, where upon entering Ronda's eyes widen at the sheer number of trees and the thickness of the canopy. She shrieked (right in my ear, not ideal) and pointed to the trees, vibrating like a shaken can of soda. I smiled "Stay Close! There will be trainers!" She smiled at me before bounding up the nearest tree. I laughed again at Ronda, as much as she wants to seem composed and hardy, she is a child at heart. I rummaged around in the bushes, finding dropped potion's and Pokeballs. No point spending money, when people drop stuff for free.

I also met my first 5 or so trainers, a bunch of Bug Catchers here to take out the under levelled Pokemon that come through, however Ronda made easy work of the many Caterpies and Metapods, Weedles and Kakunas that are around the forest, scratching them a few times before returning back to swinging around the canopy.

Following my walk around the forest, I reached the doorway to the rest house at the end. Ronda jumped down from her branch, back onto my shoulder. She smiled at me, and we went through. I saw a number of trainers applying antidotes on Squirtles, Charmanders and Rattatas. I was about to make my way out when I heard a voice behind me. "Hey! Aren't you the son of that wannabe mobster?" The voice was a sneer thick with disgust. I turned to see the source, and it was a young boy, around my age, with spiky brown hair, bright green eyes, and sharp angular features. I recognised this boy. He spoke again before I could put a name to his face. " You are his son, mothered by some gullible skank who he left as quick as he looked at!" His words stirred up anger inside me, my cheeks flushed crimson, my eyes prickling with rage. I stared at him silently. "I think I'll end your journey before you get started. I, Sammy Oak, challenge you to a Pokemon Battle!"

My brain clicked! Sammy Oak, son of Gary Oak, great Grandson of Kanto's professor Samuel Oak. Trainer Press had revered this boy as the second coming of Arceus, and have been tipping him to replace Red as Kanto's great trainer. He shouts me out of my stupor. "Pidgey go!" as he releases his Pokeball, the red light emits and small brown bird Pokemon forms, flapping its tiny wings to stay airborne. Ronda leaps from my shoulder and before the Pidgey can react, slams a Karate Chop into the small birds back. He cries out in pain and drops a foot closer to the ground, but does not miss a flap as he turns and speeds up, tackling into the back of Ronda. But Ronda was smart, took the Tackle, rolled through and hit a second Karate Chop into the rib cage of Pidgey. This caused the Pidgey to stop, winded, and lay back in some pain. Sammy recalled the tiny bird.

"Think you're so clever," he growled,"Go Bulbasaur!" And from the ball appeared Pokemon #001. The grass starter Pokemon let out a roar. Ronda shrieked in anger and hurled itself and started scratching Bulbasaur's Head. Bulbasaur tackled Ronda into hard ground, however, Ronda held on and kept scratching. Bulbasaur repeated this tackle into the ground but applied more force. Ronda gasped but was clinging on with one arm. She brought her loose arm around, and slammed it into the face of Bulbasaur, scratching hard. Bulbasaur, in pain and blinded by this creamy furball, shook Ronda off before lying down, dazed and defeated. Ronda stood by myself, panting and bruised, but victorious.
"Think you should get these guys to the centre Sammy," I scoffed, enjoying my victory. Sammy recalled Bulbasaur and ran out into Pewter City. Ronda snorted but looked weak on her feet. Much to her annoyance I bundled her into my arms and took her to Pewters Nurse Joy to heal and get some food and rest. Tommorrow we meet Brock.

TEAM

Female/Level 12/Vital Spirit/Hardy
Scratch/Karate Chop/Low Kick/Leer​

Signing off,
Mattias

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
I really like this a lot. I'll be interested to see how you continue to write around the original story and characters. :)

Years
Day 3
Dear Journal,
I woke early from my troubled sleep, and just lay staring at the domed red ceiling of the Pokemon Center. Until Ronda poked me in the ribs. I jolted and glared at the Makey, who acted as if she did not know what was going on. I ruffled her fur, as I walked to the window. The sun was rising, the sky a pleasant pink over the dull grey buildings.

After eating a simple breakfast (and packing Ronda full of protein, that makes muscles stronger right ?), and a quick call to Mom telling her about my last couple of days (excluding the meeting with Sammy), I head on out to Pewter City Gym. The city, full of dull grey buildings, lacked any imagination or colour. Just uniform office towers and big buildings. I arrived at the gym, a slate fronted long building, multiple storeys high. I push the heavy, stone look double doors open.

I was greeted by neat, small waiting room, a kiosk with a moustached man, dark hair with a distinct parting on the left-hand side was on one side, a row of 4 or 5 seats on the other. I approached the Kiosk. "Hello, is there where I enter Pewter City gym ?" I ask. The man get's to his feet, smirking. "Yo!" He exclaims"Champ...in..the...making!" He states dramatically, is he being sarcastic? I can't tell beneath the overly dramatic facade. "The Leader is currently battling another challenger. However, the practice trainer is free to fight, the single door on your left." He said smiling. I nodded and walked through the single door.

There stood a lad, no older than 12, who stood confidently across the battlefield. " You are light years away from facing Brother Brock!" He yells. I prepare a retort..but wait..did he say Light Years? He knows that's distance right? As I mentally facepalm for the stupid comment, a floating rock with arms, a Geodude came out. Ronda yelped next to me, I smiled and nodded to her. She ran out, slid underneath the Geodude, prepared her legs, and then kicked the Geodude upward. The Geodude balled up to cushion the fall. As Geodude comes back down, Ronda smashes a Karate Chop into the face of the Geodude. The lad winces before recalling the Geodude. He grabs the second ball from his waist. He releases a small armadillo-like Pokemon, a Sandshrew, Ronda started chopping the Sandshrew, he curled up, Ronda bit her lip in frustration and kept chopping. After a few minutes of this, the ball unravelled, and Sandshrew lay unconscious. The timekeeper raised his flag toward me.
"Matias and Ronda are your winners!" He declared, monotone. Ronda jumped onto my shoulder, arm around my neck, like King Kong climbing to Empire State Building, we smile and strut back into the Waiting Room.

We wait around an hour, Ronda shadow boxing, and I sat chewing the skin on my thumb, thinking of how to beat Brock. A loud gong interrupted my train of thought. The dramatic man from early jolted to his feet and practically sang at me "Leader Brock is ready for you now!". I stand, calmly thank the man and go through the large automatic steel doors, Ronda keeping pace level with me.

Brock, a man in his late twenties, early thirties, was tall, with brown spiky hair. His eyes were narrow and analytical, his face showing some signs of his age. "You're Giovanni's son, correct ?"
"I am," I say coldly. I felt no joy being known as his son. The man caused more damage to his family than anything else.
"You don't look like him," Brock replied. His lips curled into a gentle smile at the corners. I smiled in response. "Well, you came for your badge. Time to earn it. Get'em Geodude!" And with that, Brock backs into his Trainers Area, leaving a large Geodude floating in his place.

I opened my mouth to send out Ronda, but the Mankey bound past me, slide again beneath the body of the Geodude, and kicked the Boulder upward. The Geodude did the same as the youngster's and curled up into a ball. Ronda, however, jumped with the Geodude, and unleashed a kick, firing the Geodude back down into the Ground. Brock grimaced and grabbed two Pokeball's from his belt. As he recalled Geodude, he sent out a giant rock snake, Onix! As the creature uncurled and stood to its full height, its crest nearly touching the ceiling, I stared in awe. How was Ronda going to beat this thing ?! It bellowed, the noise reverberating from the walls, and snapped me out of my daze. Ronda was looking at me with the sides of her eyes. She was calm. I needed to match her. Onix headed towards Ronda, gaining speed. Ronda quickly sidestepped Onix. "Ronda, climb it!" I Yelled! With that Ronda leapt onto a boulder around 5 feet of the ground, and started running up the Onix. Onix swings its tail to hit Ronda but missed the first hit, Ronda jumping over it like it was jump rope. Ronda continued to climb Onix, and was near the top third when Onix swung its tail again! Ronda attempted to jump over it, but Onix was smart to this and lifted its tail. It caught and crushed Ronda's left ankle. Her howl of pain caused all my hairs to stand on end. She chopped the tail until it released her ankle. Ronda still continued her climb. Hobbling, using her tail as a pseudo walking stick, she hopped the remaining distance. She grabbed hold of the ledge above Onix's eye, and swung down, throwing her whole weight behind a kick to the Onix's cheek. The Onix let out a bellow and fell to the ground. Ronda also let herself fall back onto the sand of the arena floor.
Dust blew up in a cloud due to the impact...
I hold my breath...
The dust clears...
Onix is still down...
Ronda is up!
She is leaning on the Onix, but she's moving! The arena Referee states "Onix is down! Ronda the Mankey is the winner!" I run into the arena and grab Ronda in the tightest embrace. She's too weak to fight it. She oinks in my ear. Brock strides over to me to me, patting his Onix on the way
"She's good!" He smiles, inclining his head to Ronda, "And you never panicked. You impressed me." Brock extended a hand. I shifted Ronda's weight and took the handshake. When Brock released my hand, I felt the badge in my hand. " Go get her seen to, then meet me at the museum, I want to talk to you before you head off." I nodded to Brock, my throat tight. Step one of this massive journey is complete!

Female/Level 14/Vital Spirit/Hardy
Scratch/Karate Chop/Low Kick/Leer​

Signing off,
Mattias

Sorry for the long delay between updates, and then the update is a small story by itself haha. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
Years
Day 4
Dear Journal,
Ronda needed to take the night off from, well, everything following the damage to her ankle. I told Brock I would speak to him tomorrow and sat with Ronda. She was devouring fruits and sweets provided by the Chansey and Nurse Joy before drifting off to sleep, her ankle bandaged, and propped up on some cushions.

The next morning, I and Ronda headed out the Museum to have our delayed meeting with Brock. We spoke about how our fathers were disappointment's, mine being a crime lord, his being the biggest sleaze in all of Kanto, leaving his hugely inflated family, before leaving with a younger woman...Kinda makes my dad seem like a good guy. He then produced a disc. "This is a gift from me to you." He said.The disk was stone coloured."It will teach one Pokemon Rock Tomb, a move that allows your Pokemon to hit a target with a rock in a way that will slow the target. With the restrictions you've been hit with, the thing's like this will help you through." Brock smiled at me. I accepted the disc. Brocks showed me how it slotted into the Pokedex, and then you selected the Pokemon. I taught it to Ronda, it'll help her against the Pidgeys and Spearows. After the walk around the museum, I parted with Brock, shaking hands. Ronda, riding like an infant on my shoulder.

We headed out to the route to the East, Ronda using her Karate Chops and Rock Tombs on everything that came our way. She was still moving a bit gingerly, but her brute strength put a stop to all challengers.

I eventually reached Mt Moon. For a cave, its very well lit, with holes in the ceiling, and luminous stones here and there throughout. I wander around, exploring the cave, finding dropped items on the floor. I also let Ronda deal with the Trainers, she was getting so strong now. We clambered around down into a pit, where we heard muttering "Why does the boss want all these shiny stones for anyways? We're already making mad cash from the casino. What we need is some better Pokemon!" I peek up over the boulder. There was a pale, thin man dressed in all black, a whip and pokeballs on his belt. He turns and I see the big red R emblazoned on his jumper. There's no mistaking it. He was Team Rocket. And he mentioned his boss...it couldn't be...Dad is back in Kanto!

My brain feels stodgy. I jump out from behind my rock, Ronda right behind me. The grunt turns to face me, his Sandshrew who was digging the gems out, both turn to face us. " Get outta here kid, before I break your face like an egg, y'hear ?!" The grunt exclaims. I smirk, and in a ferocious flurry of movement, Ronda had leapt onto the small shrew-like Pokemon and was Karate Chopping along its spine. The Rocket agent recalled Sandshrew and sent out a Rattata. This was defeated in a similar fashion to the Sandshrew. Ronda stood looking strong. The grunt sent out another Pokemon, a Zubat. Using the new move Brock gave us, Ronda picked up a good size rock from the floor and struck the Zubat where its wing met its body. The Zubat tumbled down into the ground, where the Rocket Grunt recalled it. "I'm outta here kid, but there still another half dozen or so dotted around the place. " He stated. I let him run, overwhelmed by the number of questions in my clouding my judgement. It had been a long day, so Ronda and I made camp for the night, as we started to think about the plan for the next day.

Female/Level 18/Vital Spirit/Hardy
Scratch/Karate Chop/Low Kick/Rock Tomb​

Signing off,
Mattias

Back