• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Rock, Steel, Ice

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
So the Regi family in Gen 3.. I'd say finding them was a little... erratic?

Spr_3e_377.gif
Spr_3e_378.gif
Spr_3e_379.gif

First you had to get a Relicanth and Wailord as well as a Pokemon with Dig and Dive, then you'd have to dive towards a specific spot near route 134, where read this braille text, and then, the regis will finally surface upon different caves: the Desert Tomb in the desert where Regirock is, Route 105's Island Cave where Regice is, and the Ancient Tomb in Route 120 where Regirock is.

But even if you know where the caves are, there are still puzzles to solve within each of them, like to reach Regirock, you'd have to go right twice, down twice and then use Strength, to reach Regice, you'll need to stand there and wait 2 minutes, and for Registeel, you'll need to use Fly in the middle of the room. Whew.

Well still, going over the Regi trio, Regirock the Rockbody pokemon, Registeel the Steelbody pokemon, and Regice the Iceberg pokemon, if you had to pick only one, which of these Regi tri would be your favourite, and which one would you choose to get? Why? Did you use any of these pokemon in game? What do you think of this method on finding these pokemon?

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I would pick Regice because it has a pretty color. I never knew they were in the 3rd gen game and I found out about this on the forum 7 months ago.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Haven?t played Gen 3 but Steel types(good ones) are few and far between. Therefore I?d go and get Registeel first and foremost before attempting the other two.

Years
I remember that back when the RS were new, I was one of the few people in Czech Republic that knew how to get Regi trio and had to show other people what to do, so I know whole process. I would like to see something similar in the new games to.

While I caught all of them, I never used any of them, but my favourite is probably Regice.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I remember that back when the RS were new, I was one of the few people in Czech Republic that knew how to get Regi trio and had to show other people what to do, so I know whole process. I would like to see something similar in the new games to.

While I caught all of them, I never used any of them, but my favourite is probably Regice.

So you'd like to see something similar when it comes to Articuno, Moltres and Zapdos? Hmm interesting and I figure why the heck not. Its a shame they're extorting for Mew though. If I was to get the system and the game, I'd be hard pressed not to get the peripheral for Mew since it happens to be one of my favorite Psychic Types.

Years
I actually quite like the regis. They are quite unusual for a pokemon, but this exactly makes them unique and interesting. The way you obtain them is quite... random, but tbh it's better than just encounter them in some small cave, that becomes useless after catching them. Here you have their little useless caves too, but you have to solve a puzzle to catch them. This alone makes them much more memorable.

I think Regice has the best design imo. But I like the other two too.

Last edited:

Mehoi

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 26, 2020
All game mechanics and wise decisions aside, I would easily choose Regice because of his great design. He?s by far my favorite Regi with the sharp geometric body and frosty blue coloring.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I never used any of the Regis in any of my playthroughs. At first, it was because I didn't want to go through the effort of raising a Wailmer up enough to evolve it, and I didn't want to go running all over Land of Trumpets Hoenn to catch some legendary Pokemon I'd never use. Now it's because I'm doing a Nuzlocke for my last playthrough of Emerald, and legendaries are excluded from my list of usable Pokemon.

That said, I do like the whole idea of the puzzle. It is far more interesting to have to figure out how to unlock the Regis before you can catch them, rather than just finding them chillin' in a cave. It added to the sense of them being powerful beasts, and I'd like to see something like that make a return to the games.

As for which one I'd pick? Regice. Just because it's cold. I like the cold. If I could have the shiny version, even better, because that's a shade of my favorite color.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Regice was my favorite between the three. I'm really fond of its design to this day. The process was really complicated, and at first I had no clue on how to obtain any of them. The guide book was the savior for that though. Good thing you could find Wailmer outside of Mosdeep City that were really close to evolving. Though Relicanth was the real pain imo. I never used them in-game since I really dislike using legendaries in my playthroughs.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2022
Registeel for its great defensive typing and overall more balanced of the trios. Immunity to poison helps.

Years
I think because of the way the Regi's are acquired is the reason I love them. All the steps to take to finally be able to encounter them sounds like the stuff of ridiculous playground/internet rumours:

"First you must find a secret room you can only locate by diving and then resurfacing in ONE particular spot, you must have dig and make sure a Relicanth is at the start of your party and a Wailord is at the end or it won't work!"

I used to buy the Pokémon comics and one month it came with a special book that decoded the braille so I actually managed to figure it all out without any help and felt very rewarded (and amazed) when it actually all worked so they'll always hold a special place in my heart.

I think my choice is Regirock since it was the first one whose cave I tried out.

Years
lol the whole wailord and relicanth thing was just... so random to me and to this day I think still is. @__@ not to mention walking a certain amount of spaces and then using dig and stuff. so weird.

anyway, from day one I've always been a fan of Regice! it's been my favourite Regi mostly due to design reasons and its typing (i'm naturally drawn to well-designed ice-types haha).

Back