• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fandoms] Studio Ghibli ★ Where Imagination Comes Alive!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
studio-ghibli-logo-2.png

FAN CLUB ☆

Climb aboard the Catbus with me, because you're about to be spirited away into the whimsical world of Studio Ghibli!

Have you ever been captured by the stories of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, enchanted by Joe Hisaishi's spellbinding music, or perhaps inspired by the lifelike characters and masterful artwork? Come take a seat by the cosy light of Calcifer, put your feet up, and tell us all about it!

Name:
Favourite movie (and why):

☆ All PokéCommunity and Club House rules apply

Member List

Hyzenthlay
Fairy

Pudding
Dragon

Adventure
LadyJirachu

bobandbill
Sawsbuck

VisionofMilotic
Aslan

Isa_theDT
Revise Librarian

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
YES JOINING YES

Name: Fairy
Favourite move (and why): My Neighbor Totoro! I just find it so adorably charming and such a real, vibrant departure from 'family friendly' media in America. There's two young girls (who learn and grow through their shared experience with these forest spirits in a world with no villains), a strong father figure (who at no point doubts the girl's belief in these mythical creatures and nurtures their creativity while being responsible), and an ill mother (whose sickness is not treated as a plot device to suggest impending doom, just as a fact of their family structure) - a dynamic that seems so foreign in contemporary children's animation. It breaks the mold so much in regards to what I grew up with and when I first saw it I was immediately captured by how imaginative and 'true to life' it felt. I can't sing it's praises enough and I would by and large recommend this film to anyone. It's breathtaking in story and design.

Hyzenthlay

Years
Hurray, first member! Welcome, Jo! :)

My Neighbour Totoro is indeed a breathtaking movie—and I couldn't have put it better than you did! It brings me back to the days of childhood, when I believed with all my heart that anything was possible (even something as magical as meeting a forest spirit!). Miyazaki really captured that pure, starry-eyed outlook seen in Satsuki and Mei, and I believe the reason is because he took inspiration from his own childhood. That's why it feels so real. Whenever I watch My Neighbour Totoro—or indeed, any Ghibli movie—it's like I actually become the protagonist. It's such a wonderful, dreamy sensation!

Name: Hyzenthlay
Favourite movie (and why): Spirited Away! <3 When I was a small child, I remember my mum bringing it home as a rented DVD. Even though I was too young to understand the depth and beauty of the story, its magic had touched the kernel of my soul, and for years I went on believing it was just a pleasant dream I had. I can't begin to express the happiness I felt upon rediscovering Spirited Away! It's how my love for Miyazaki's films began. :) To this day, the dub is still my favourite version; call it sentimental attachment, haha. ^ ^

I can say with utter conviction that there is not a single aspect of this movie that I don't love! Its soundtrack, first of all, sweeps me off my feet; One Summer's Day is an absolute treasure to me! Each character is unique and hard not to adore. Everything about it really comes alive! There are countless heart-tugging moments in this film. (I always have to fight back the tears when Chihiro bites into the dumpling and starts to cry—for some reason it's intensely relatable.) But one of my favourite parts is the journey to Swamp Bottom.

Also, Chihiro is truly an inspiration to me. She's the kind of heroine that every young girl needs. A lot of media projects female protagonists as needing magical powers, incredible beauty or sheer badassery (often all three) to even justify their place as a heroine, but Miyazaki shows that you can be a vulnerable, skinny, incompetent kid and become someone capable of anything, all while staying true to yourself!

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
Years
I'll gladly join :D

Name: Pudding
Favorite movie (and why): This is difficult. But I will say it's a tie between two movies.
• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
• Castle in the Sky
I admit one reason lies in the nostalgia behind them. I grew up watching them over and over again as a family and you could say that rewatching them makes me think back to my childhood. Decades later I still think they're amazing movies with fascinating stories. Not to mention I love their art.

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Wooo! Joining!

Name: Dragon

Favourite movie (and why): Princess Mononoke! It's really amazing; it talks about the morally ambiguous conflict between humankind's growth and development and Nature's need for preservation. In the movie, there wasn't really a clear cut way to tell who was "good" or who was "bad", because each of the characters had their own ideology, and their own reasons to fight for life in the changing order of the world. Like, Lady Eboshi I thought could be considered a villain at first because she wants to destroy the forest and kill the god that was there, as well as San fighting against even some innocent people, but San wants to protect the forest and Lady Eboshi wants the welfare of her people - even giving jobs and healthcare to the less fortunate. Both have emphasizing points, imo.

tumblr_o9d8c2gUfj1u4f8axo4_1280.png

It's kind of deep when you think about how true it is - the world revolves around give or take with human and nature, and how the strong continuously survives in the ever changing world (ie. how the animal gods talk about how the animals were getting dumber and how human technology was getting more advanced). Still at it's core, it's really a different movie than the norm, and I highly admire it! Other notables I loved: Kiki's Delivery Service (she's so cute), Spirited Away (wasn't what I thought it was gonna be, but it was still amazing), Princess Kagura (the art style is so oriental and amazing), and Howl's Moving Castle (don't underestimate granny Sophie!)

You know what, one of the things that I love about Ghibil films is how they break from the norm from other films. Like there wasn't much room to call someone a "villain" or "hero", but rather, we see views upon opposing views, or just a tale about experiences and lessons that we can relate to, or get into. I really hope future other films can learn from these. :] I hadn't seen movies like My Neighbour Totoro or The secret world of Arrietty yet, but I'd love to because I've heard soo much great things about them!

aaaah I can't stop fanboing over it sooo here's some gifs!

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
omg that animation is absolutely stunning!! (●♡∀♡)

Hyzenthlay

Years
I'll gladly join :D

Name: Pudding
Favorite movie (and why): This is difficult. But I will say it's a tie between two movies.
• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
• Castle in the Sky
I admit one reason lies in the nostalgia behind them. I grew up watching them over and over again as a family and you could say that rewatching them makes me think back to my childhood. Decades later I still think they're amazing movies with fascinating stories. Not to mention I love their art.

Welcome Pudding, glad you could join us!

I see you're a fan of the older films. :D Both of those are amazing and quite action-packed for Ghibli! I love the music too; Castle in the Sky's recurring theme is one of the most stunning of them all, while Nausicaa's is so eerie and mysterious. Apart from nostalgic reasons (which I can totally get behind haha), what about these films captures you the most? :)

Also, one thing that interests me about Castle in the Sky is its similarities to The Legend of Zelda, specifically Twilight Princess and some aspects of Skyward Sword.
  • Muska and Shad's likeness in both looks and ambition
  • The Sky Temple (also known as the City in the Sky)
  • The Guardian Statues in the Temple of Time
  • How the Twilight Realm is reminiscent of the dome below Laputa
  • Then there's the Goddess Cube and Command Cube
  • Time-shifts stones bear similarities to volucite/aetherium crystals
  • The same goes for Skyward Sword's Ancient Robot race and Laputan robots, both of which are old and deactivated

These are the things my siblings and I noticed after watching it. What are everyone else's thoughts? Does Zelda perhaps take inspiration from Miyazaki's works, or are these simply coincidental?

Wooo! Joining!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Welcome to the club Shawn!~

Princess Mononoke is an excellent choice, and definitely one of my favourites too! Your answer surprised me though—I was under the impression that Kiki's Delivery Service was your favourite, haha. :b It's interesting because the two are vastly different in setting and mood! Now, as much as I'd love to elaborate my feelings on them, it's getting late so I'll save it for another time. n__n

Still, wouldn't it be amazing to go on a life adventure like Kiki? /so jealous!

I'll leave everyone with these cute Jiji moments!!

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Ooh ghibli <3

Name: Rika
Favourite movie (and why): Probably Laputa, Castle in the Sky. Somehow, I always really loved the setting and feeling that there was an ancient history we scratched the surface of. It was so eerie yet beautiful and majestic. And cute :3 And the music skdhfjks this might still be the most beautiful soundtrack I've ever heard:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years

Name: LadyJirachu *eat's a coffee flavored lolipop xD*
Favourite movie (and why): I like My Neighbor Totaru. I THINK I ONLY saw it once, but the innocence of that film was kawaii :3

In general i've liked other studio ghibli films i've seen too. They're just so....classic and endearing ^_^ I wanna join please :3

Hyzenthlay

Years
Ooh ghibli <3

Name: Rika
Favourite movie (and why): Probably Laputa, Castle in the Sky. Somehow, I always really loved the setting and feeling that there was an ancient history we scratched the surface of. It was so eerie yet beautiful and majestic. And cute :3 And the music skdhfjks this might still be the most beautiful soundtrack I've ever heard:

Spoiler:

Welcome Rika!! :)

Those tracks made me completely fall for Castle in the Sky, especially the ending theme, which is perfection. <33 And my, the wallpaper in that first one is gorgeous!

Studio Ghibli couldn't have kicked off with a better start than this film!

Name: LadyJirachu *eat's a coffee flavored lolipop xD*
Favourite movie (and why): I like My Neighbor Totaru. I THINK I ONLY saw it once, but the innocence of that film was kawaii :3

In general i've liked other studio ghibli films i've seen too. They're just so....classic and endearing ^_^ I wanna join please :3

giphy.gif

Hiiii Jirachu, welcome! Haha, I remember getting fifty-cent lolipops at the supermarket when I was little, and coffee was one of the best! :p

Great choice! I once had an amazing dream where a secret staircase inside a cupboard led me to this attic where Totoro was sleeping, snuggled under a colourful quilt, and sunlight was pouring in through a triangular window, softly illuminating the dust that hovered in the air. It was magical! If only it was real! x)

I want to get a huge Totoro plush some day, haha.

Also, does anyone else wish Hayao Miyazaki would direct a Legend of Zelda movie adaption as much as I do? :D

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Heck yes

Name: bobandbill
Favourite movie (and why): Tough question. I'll name one hardly talked about yet - Howl's Moving Castle! I partly choose this because it is based on a novel by one of my favourite authors ever - doesn't follow the book exactly but close enough! I actually should give it a read again.

And also its main theme is absolutely amazing, goodness. Love listening to that.
Oh boy this movie is great. I think it was the first Ghibli film I might have seen? Was many years ago and for whatever reason I was checking channels on the tv in my room. It was pretty late and maybe a school night but it popped up and I thought I'll watch a bit before heading to bed.

I was transfixed and watched the whole dang thing, haha. Such a beautiful film with great concepts. Then again floating islands are always neat to me.

Hyzenthlay

Years
Welcome bobandbill and Sawsbuck! ?

Heck yes

Name: bobandbill
Favourite movie (and why): Tough question. I'll name one hardly talked about yet - Howl's Moving Castle! I partly choose this because it is based on a novel by one of my favourite authors ever - doesn't follow the book exactly but close enough! I actually should give it a read again.

And also its main theme is absolutely amazing, goodness. Love listening to that.

Diana Wynne Jones! Such a great author with impeccable charm and personal flair, her stories are filled whimsical magic, which I just love! Howl's Moving Castle is a very close second on my list of favourite Ghibli films. ^ ^ I actually read the book a few years afterwards, and couldn't help finish it in one day.<33 It's true that Ghibli's adaptation differs quite a lot in some areas, but they did well in staying true to the overall theme and message of the book, as well as adjusting the story's pace.

And yess, Merry Go Round of Life is incredibly moving, I recommend everyone to give it a listen! The Promise of the World is also one of my favourites. :)

Then again floating islands are always neat to me.

Aren't they? Haha, I can't seem to sway from the concept of floating islands whenever I'm world-building, despite protestations from my sister (she thinks they're too clich? *sob*).

Sawsbuck
Princess Mononoke, I'm not good at describing why I like movies but it's very well animated, it had a lot of great moments, and Yakul ??

aaaa I know what you mean, I'm really passionate about Ghibli, yet in spite of all my fangirling, I can never find the words to do my love justice! ;u;

Yakul is such a loyal companion. ^ ^ It's so touching when San removes his bridle and tells him to be free, yet he refuses to leave his master's side. <3

tumblr_p47zx3x8R01w5y1qno1_500.gif

Hyzenthlay

Years
Sorry for being a little neglectful lately, but I have a new topic for everyone!

Some of you may have heard the news already. Five years after announcing his retirement (again!), Hayao Miyazaki's untameable passion for film-making has gotten the better of him, and he has already released a short film titled Boro The Caterpillar! You can see clips of it here, but for the real thing, you'll need to visit Japan. ;)

Most exciting of all, he is now officially back at Studio Ghibli and working on a full-length feature film!! I was so thrilled to hear this! The title of this film is said to be Kimi-tachi wa Dō Ikiru ka, or How Do You Live?, and is an adapation of a book by the same name. It is about a young boy learning to overcome life's obstacles on a path of self-discovery. Miyazaki has stated that he is creating this for his grandson, as a way of saying "Grandpa is moving on to the next world, but he's leaving behind this film." Aww! The story is sure to melt our hearts. :')

How Do You Live? is predicted to be released in summer 2020!

So, everyone! What are your thoughts on this? :D

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Sorry for being a little neglectful lately, but I have a new topic for everyone!

Some of you may have heard the news already. Five years after announcing his retirement (again!), Hayao Miyazaki's untameable passion for film-making has gotten the better of him, and he has already released a short film titled Boro The Caterpillar! You can see clips of it here, but for the real thing, you'll need to visit Japan. ;)

Most exciting of all, he is now officially back at Studio Ghibli and working on a full-length feature film!! I was so thrilled to hear this! The title of this film is said to be Kimi-tachi wa Dō Ikiru ka, or How Do You Live?, and is an adapation of a book by the same name. It is about a young boy learning to overcome life's obstacles on a path of self-discovery. Miyazaki has stated that he is creating this for his grandson, as a way of saying "Grandpa is moving on to the next world, but he's leaving behind this film." Aww! The story is sure to melt our hearts. :')

How Do You Live? is predicted to be released in summer 2020!

So, everyone! What are your thoughts on this? :D
Neat news! Hopefully it's of the same calibre as his other works. :)

Years
Am I too late to join my friend?

Name: Sam/ VisionofMilotic
Favourite move (and why): It is the first Studio Ghibli movie that I remember seeing, so it will always have some nostalgia attached to it. I had never seen anything like it at the time. It remains an explosion of imagination, really a feast for the eyes that never ends as Chihiro wanders through the spirit world, so many fascinating creatures.

Hayao Miyazaki is great with first love between a boy and girl, they always complement eachother well, and his partnerships are so innocent, delightful and innocent, yet the love is really strong and true, characters who face death for one another. It is common for a hero or heroine to love someone from another world, and Spirited Away is a great example of what makes Ghibli films Ghibli with Haku and Chihiro's bond.

A close second favorite would be Princess Kaguya.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Oo I'll join :D

Name: Sophie / Aslan

Favourite movie (and why): It's hard to choose as I love all of the ones I have seen. I think my favourite would have to be an equal tie between Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle. Spirited Away was one of the first movies I ever watched as a child and whilst some scenes were quite harrowing (such as the pig scene and also No Face who I later grew to love and appreciate) - it was a film that captured my attention all the same. I really enjoyed the storyline, and have rewatched it quite a few times. Kiki's Delivery Service is just pure and warms the heart - it's just a nice film to watch when you want to relax. Howl's Moving Castle... also a film I watched as a child which I adored (+ the main character was called Sophie!) I even remember dressing up as Sophie (the young version) when I was 10 for a costume day at school.

I really do adore Studio Ghibli and hope to see more of their films in the future. Castle in the Sky is definitely high up on my to-watch list! And I will get around to all the other ones too... soon.

Hyzenthlay

Years
Am I too late to join my friend?

Spoiler:

It's never too late, Sam! Forgive me for being neglectful. I'd love for you to join! :D

I couldn't agree more with the choices you've made and your descriptions for them! Miyazaki does indeed capture the purity of love, especially in Spirited Away. What you said reminds me of one of his quotes:

"I've become sceptical of the unwritten rule that just because a boy and girl appear in the same feature, a romance must ensue. Rather, I want to portray a slightly different relationship, one where the two mutually inspire each other to live - if I'm able to, then perhaps I'll be closer to portraying a true expression of love."

As a writer, I never seemed able to bring a boy and a girl together without their relationship being instantly converted into a forced romance. Miyazaki greatly inspired me with his quote and his characters' bonds. I learned to weave love into my stories in much the same way as he does. Although, this makes it seem like I'm not fan of romance—on the contrary! I'm a hopeless romantic. But for my hero and heroine, I like a different form of love. :)

You also know I'm a big fan of Kaguya! It's an absolute masterpiece and left me breathless the whole way through. What are your favourite characters from Spirited Away and Princess Kaguya? Any moments you found particularly memorable?

Oo I'll join :D

Spoiler:

Yay, glad to have you join us, Sophie! \o/

Those are all great choices! Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are my favourites too, for the same reason. :) I love that you dressed as Sophie! She's a very strong and forthright heroine, and even as an old lady she keeps you gripped to the story through her adventures. As for Kiki's Delivery Service, you're right, it's the perfect movie for relaxing! Kiki is living the dream! <3

I wholeheartedly recommend Castle in the Sky—as with any Ghibli film, you won't regret it. :D It's quite action-packed for Ghibli as well, with an actual bad guy, hahaha. (Who is voiced by none other than Mark Hamill in the dub!)

What about you, Sophie; who were your favourite characters?

Hyzenthlay

Years
While I'm at it, I'll highlight that topic for the rest of you to answer at your leisure! :)

Who were some of your favourite characters from Studio Ghibli? What about them appeals to you?

Back