• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What 'government' does best" by Larken Rose

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
Do you have any evidence of this working? There was the American Revolution, but really only 30% of the colonists actually supported the revolution and loyalists were discriminated against. Not to mention, the revolutionaries needed the help of France to win, which had a government. And the entire revolution occurred violently.... and a government had to be installed to fix terrible inflation issues and foreign policy issues.

The idea you are proposing - when taking revolutions like this into consideration - is outlandish. The only peaceful revolution I can think of is the Glorious Revolution, which still resulted in a government being created.

So has any peaceful revolution ever occurred where a government ceased to exist and replaced with a completely free market? And also stable?

I can think of only two anarchist societies: ancient Ireland and anarchist Cambodia. The former lacked the highly complex society today with advanced economies, varying demographics, etc. The latter didn't turn out too well, being communist and unable to allocate resources efficiently. I'm pretty sure they were conquered too.
Humanity has never fully understood the self-ownership and non-aggression principles, so a voluntaryist society has never existed or failed yet. I also wrote an article regarding this if you're interested. Here is the link.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Humanity has never fully understood the self-ownership and non-aggression principles, so a voluntaryist society has never existed or failed yet. I also wrote an article regarding this if you're interested. Here is the link.

First, your argument (or at least in part) is completely self-defeating:

-"no one can confidently make such an argument using evidence, because the future is unpredictable and uncontrollable."
-"Unfortunately, it is true that evil will always exist. You can't prevent everyone from murdering, stealing, attacking and so on."

You can't argue both points.

Second, you are just plain wrong here:
-"To tackle the first point: it is not "human nature" to want to obey others."

Humans accept authority in so many different ways. We have parents (and no, not every child is as rebellious as you think), teachers, bosses, CEOs, executives, etc. Our entire society is a chain of people obeying other people because that is the most efficient way to run society. I don't see why politicians and bureaucrats are any different. If it is true that it is human nature to desire freedom ("True human nature is a desire for freedom to be able to experience life to the fullest"), then why is it that there have been no anarchist societies similar to the one you advocate for?

And why (in another self-defeating argument) do you simultaneously claim that "humanity has never grasped, and still doesn't grasp, the principles of self-ownership and non-aggression fully"? Which is it?

To top it all, you employ circular reasoning:
-"Since it is logically and morally impossible to refute voluntarism"

Perhaps if that was true anarchism would be taken more seriously.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years

Humans accept authority in so many different ways. We have parents (and no, not every child is as rebellious as you think), teachers, bosses, CEOs, executives, etc. Our entire society is a chain of people obeying other people because that is the most efficient way to run society..

Not only this, can you imagine how unproductive humanity would be without a structure. We'd never get off this rock...

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Good leaders can get others to follow them, while rulers like politicians don't need to once they are elected, because they have the supposed power to make others obey them regardless.
You don't think leaders have that option? Good politicians are leaders.

Whoever is interested in solving these issues. I can ask the same of every other field: Who in the future will be doctors or scientists etc.?
So in other words, a gov't forms to handle things that affect everyone. Without a gov't how do you determine who the real doctors are?

"What if" scenarios don't change the fact that governments, including "democratic ones", are illegitimate, because there's no rational or moral basis for obeying those in power just because they write stuff down and call it "law".
That's your opinion. I think there are plenty of rational and moral reasons to have laws and a gov't.

Also, like I mentioned before, there is a difference between a leader and a ruler. Leaders don't have the right to force others to even follow them, while many people believe rulers have the right to force others to obey them as long as these rulers are "elected", which is obviously a false assumption. No one has the right to rule, and rituals like "elections" and pretending to give people this right by calling it "law" doesn't give anyone this right either.
A politician is not a "ruler". If a leader says that the people following him must follow certain rules so that the people stay safe, why wouldn't people agree with him? If the leader says "no raping children" would reasonable people object? If the leader says "must provide proof of guilt in a public trial" who would object. Boom, gov't.

It doesn't matter. No one has the right to decide how others spend their money, because it's not his/her money.
I convince 400 out of 500 people to provide me with funds for a road, can i deny use of the road to the 100? How do I enforce it? If no one else cares? They can use the road they paid for.

I would guess that evil people came first, and then they came up with the idea of "legitimate" power to trick people into letting them control society. Either way, evil people gravitate towards power to get away with committing extortion and being corrupt by using the excuse that they have "authority", which is why people should stop believing they should obey them.
Nah. People realized that leading via group voting/committee is really ineffective. Large problems are always someone else's issues. Where does the camp waste go? Who cleans the latrine? Who arbitrates arguments?

These "frameworks" are bad at stopping governments from infringing on individual rights, because 1) those in power love to find loopholes or make excuses as to why their law doesn't violate the constitution or other frameworks, and 2) these frameworks can be "legally" amended.
No system is perfect.

If you lived in the 1800's, would you want to be one of those people asking how the economy or society in general will function without slaves?
Probably. People should ask how changes to society will work or not. Means you aren't blindly following a fad....

Congratulations then, you're an anarchist, because you don't recognize his authority to impose his laws on you.
Bullshit.

If you truly believe you're not a servant, then don't vote for politicians to make you into their servant by forcing you to obey laws you don't support.
I don't vote for politicians that seek to make me a servant. I vote for politicians that support my views and I inform politicians that I support if laws are being considered that I don't support.

Anarchy is not a system. It's not about it "working" or not. It's simply about people interacting, organizing and cooperating as equals without any rulers or ruling classes like governments deciding how they should live. Also, there is no "power to take" in an anarchistic/voluntary society; that's the entire point. People may try to force others to obey them, but the difference is that it wouldn't be viewed as legitimate or acceptable.
Tell that to the large and armed group of thugs that have decided to take over an area and force everyone in it to provide them with goods. Anarchy only works if every single person is completely identical in not wanting anything that someone else has. Good luck with that.

People have a right to whatever property they legitimately earn by working for it, which also gives them the right to protect this property either by themselves, or asking others to.
Who decides I "legitimately earned" or own something? How do I register that I earned/own it? What about land my parents owned? Can I not inherit that land? What if my neighbors decide to support the other person? I could lay claim to 50 acres of prime unspoiled land simply for the view. Others come along years later and want to use that land for whatever. They offer bribes to the neighbors. Ignore the requests for help and we'll give you parts of his land. Now what?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
First, your argument (or at least in part) is completely self-defeating:

-"no one can confidently make such an argument using evidence, because the future is unpredictable and uncontrollable."
-"Unfortunately, it is true that evil will always exist. You can't prevent everyone from murdering, stealing, attacking and so on."

You can't argue both points.
If you read the beginning of my article carefully, you would have noticed that I said you can't predict everything, not that you can't predict anything. Also, I can argue both points, because it's pretty obvious that at least some humans will always kill, steal etc. The future is still unpredictable and uncontrollable because you can't predict when and where these acts will happen, and you can't stop all of them.

Humans accept authority in so many different ways. We have parents (and no, not every child is as rebellious as you think), teachers, bosses, CEOs, executives, etc. Our entire society is a chain of people obeying other people because that is the most efficient way to run society. I don't see why politicians and bureaucrats are any different.
You don't have to obey your teachers or bosses outside school or your workplace, and they can't force you to stay once the terms you agreed to at your job expire. Politicians are different because they can make laws that you have to obey even when you're on your own property, such as having to get a permit to build something, preventing you from owning items like some firearms, even if you just want to keep it locked away etc. They can even take your property using "eminent domain".
If it is true that it is human nature to desire freedom ("True human nature is a desire for freedom to be able to experience life to the fullest"), then why is it that there have been no anarchist societies similar to the one you advocate for?
Because people also want protection, and they have been taught that governments are the best way to provide it, when in reality, that is one of the biggest lies, if not the biggest lie. You don't need to obey others for protection; you can voluntarily hire others without being forced to.
And why (in another self-defeating argument) do you simultaneously claim that "humanity has never grasped, and still doesn't grasp, the principles of self-ownership and non-aggression fully"? Which is it?
This isn't a "self-defeating" argument or a contradiction. I said humanity has never grasped these principles fully. They understand the non-aggression and self-ownership principles for the most part, but don't apply them when it comes to the government, because they wrongfully assume the government has the right to violate these principles as long as it's "the law".
To top it all, you employ circular reasoning:
-"Since it is logically and morally impossible to refute voluntarism"

Perhaps if that was true anarchism would be taken more seriously.
Firstly, it is true, and secondly, it's not that anarchism isn't being taken seriously; it's that not enough people understand anarchy and voluntaryism yet.

You can keep trying to convince yourself that governments are legitimate, but it's easy to prove they're not. Along with all the arguments I have made in this thread, there is plenty more material covering this aspect just for starters.

https://www.amazon.com/Problem-Poli...keywords=michael+humer+problem+with+authority
https://www.amazon.com/Most-Dangerous-Superstition-Larken-Rose/dp/145075063X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIMnIh10po0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMoPBDz5ycA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kza3otq0jc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOWpQrSDc5w
https://steemit.com/politics/@censoredrefugee/how-i-became-a-voluntaryist
Not only this, can you imagine how unproductive humanity would be without a structure. We'd never get off this rock...
I said this before, but I'll say it again: organization can exist without society obeying a particular institution or ruling class like a government.
You don't think leaders have that option? Good politicians are leaders.
Some politicians are also leaders, but all of them are rulers, because they force others to obey them.
So in other words, a gov't forms to handle things that affect everyone. Without a gov't how do you determine who the real doctors are?
Those who study medicine rigorously.
That's your opinion. I think there are plenty of rational and moral reasons to have laws and a gov't.
Then you still don't even understand what a government truly is, or the concept behind "laws". The law isn't about justice or morality, it is about obeying it solely because it's the law. For example, you can't just argue in court that you broke the law because you believed it was unfair or immoral: you would still be prosecuted because you refused to obey it. In addition, in the legal system, the job of the jury is to review the evidence and decide whether you broke the law, not whether you should be punished for breaking the law in the first place.
A politician is not a "ruler". If a leader says that the people following him must follow certain rules so that the people stay safe, why wouldn't people agree with him?

If the leader says "no raping children" would reasonable people object? If the leader says "must provide proof of guilt in a public trial" who would object. Boom, gov't.
Because then it becomes about following those rules simply because he declared them as rules, not necessarily because those rules are beneficial.

People shouldn't obey others, because everyone is flawed and susceptible to corruption. Instead, they should abide by the only two principles needed for a peaceful society: the self-ownership and non-aggression principles, where 1) you get to decide how to live your life because it's yours, and 2) don't attack others.
I convince 400 out of 500 people to provide me with funds for a road, can i deny use of the road to the 100? How do I enforce it? If no one else cares? They can use the road they paid for.
Yes, and this happens now even with government and taxes. They can't prevent everyone who didn't pay taxes from using roads or other public services.
Nah. People realized that leading via group voting/committee is really ineffective. Large problems are always someone else's issues. Where does the camp waste go? Who cleans the latrine? Who arbitrates arguments?
There doesn't always have to be some particular person or group of people that has to make these decisions. People need to resolve these issues as equals, because they are equal, and nothing can change that fact. They can voluntarily form a hierarchy, but they can't be forced to join or stay in one.
Probably. People should ask how changes to society will work or not. Means you aren't blindly following a fad....
Fair enough, but in this context, I was referring to those who argued that slavery is moral and necessary.
I don't vote for politicians that seek to make me a servant. I vote for politicians that support my views and I inform politicians that I support if laws are being considered that I don't support.
You may not want to be the politicians' servant, but you can't stop them from passing and imposing laws you don't approve of. The only way to be a truly equal and free individual is to recognize that you shouldn't vote for any politician, because that legitimizes them forcing you to obey them.
Tell that to the large and armed group of thugs that have decided to take over an area and force everyone in it to provide them with goods. Anarchy only works if every single person is completely identical in not wanting anything that someone else has. Good luck with that.
Okay, if you want to make up random scenarios that you can't even guarantee will happen, I can too: I have created an even larger group of people trained in combat for self-defense that protects my neighborhood. Problem solved. Also, like I mentioned before, anarchy is not a system. You don't need everyone to be nice to live in a voluntary society, you just need people to realize that they are equal and free individuals, which means no one has the right to force them to obey him/her, even if he calls his commands "laws".
Who decides I "legitimately earned" or own something?
You don't need anyone deciding this, because whether they decide if you did or not doesn't make it any more true or false. You either earned it legitimately by working for it, or you didn't.
How do I register that I earned/own it?
You wouldn't need to "register it", but you can demonstrate how you worked for it.
What about land my parents owned? Can I not inherit that land?
Sure, unless for whatever reason, they give that land to someone else.
What if my neighbors decide to support the other person? I could lay claim to 50 acres of prime unspoiled land simply for the view. Others come along years later and want to use that land for whatever. They offer bribes to the neighbors. Ignore the requests for help and we'll give you parts of his land. Now what?
This is where the principle of homesteading comes in. You can't simply declare a piece of land is yours for it to be rightfully yours; you have to develop it, work on it or use it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Firstly, it is true, and secondly, it's not that anarchism isn't being taken seriously; it's that not enough people understand anarchy and voluntaryism yet.
I disagree. Plenty of people understand it and understand that it doesn't work.

I said this before, but I'll say it again: organization can exist without society obeying a particular institution or ruling class like a government.
Please point out am organization that doesn't behave like a govt. You know, with leaders that say "obey the organizations rules (or laws) or get fined or kicked out.

Those who study medicine rigorously.
Who validates that person A with a degree from an supposed organization is a real doctor as opposed to a fake? Who checks that the doctor is following the proper standards and not taking shortcuts?

Then you still don't even understand what a government truly is, or the concept behind "laws". The law isn't about justice or morality, it is about obeying it solely because it's the law. For example, you can't just argue in court that you broke the law because you believed it was unfair or immoral: you would still be prosecuted because you refused to obey it. In addition, in the legal system, the job of the jury is to review the evidence and decide whether you broke the law, not whether you should be punished for breaking the law in the first place.
Actually, you can argue in court that while you did break the law, you either did so with good intent or that the law should not be there in the first place. Jury nullification is the term.

It does amuse me that instead of your reasoning being flawed, you claim that I am the one lacking understanding.

Because then it becomes about following those rules simply because he declared them as rules, not necessarily because those rules are beneficial.
Your viewpoint seems to be "fight the rules automatically" rather than decide if the rules actually are beneficial.

People shouldn't obey others, because everyone is flawed and susceptible to corruption. Instead, they should abide by the only two principles needed for a peaceful society: the self-ownership and non-aggression principles, where 1) you get to decide how to live your life because it's yours, and 2) don't attack others.
Lots of ways to hurt others without actually attacking them.

Yes, and this happens now even with government and taxes. They can't prevent everyone who didn't pay taxes from using roads or other public services.
So you support people benefiting from my hard work for free.

There doesn't always have to be some particular person or group of people that has to make these decisions. People need to resolve these issues as equals, because they are equal, and nothing can change that fact. They can voluntarily form a hierarchy, but they can't be forced to join or stay in one.
People don't have the time to attend the meetings for every single event that could or does affect them.

You may not want to be the politicians' servant, but you can't stop them from passing and imposing laws you don't approve of. The only way to be a truly equal and free individual is to recognize that you shouldn't vote for any politician, because that legitimizes them forcing you to obey them.
Circular argument again.

Okay, if you want to make up random scenarios that you can't even guarantee will happen, I can too: I have created an even larger group of people trained in combat for self-defense that protects my neighborhood. Problem solved.
How often do they train. If they are training to defend the community, who pays them? Who makes certain they do the job right? Who feeds and clothes them? Sounds like you end up with a government there.

Also, like I mentioned before, anarchy is not a system. You don't need everyone to be nice to live in a voluntary society, you just need people to realize that they are equal and free individuals, which means no one has the right to force them to obey him/her, even if he calls his commands "laws".
Its a system. A rather limited one, but still a system. How does this system handle those that don't respect their neighbors as equals?

You don't need anyone deciding this, because whether they decide if you did or not doesn't make it any more true or false. You either earned it legitimately by working for it, or you didn't.
You wouldn't need to "register it", but you can demonstrate how you worked for it.

And if the other person brings their own "witnesses" that say that the other person was there first?

This is where the principle of homesteading comes in. You can't simply declare a piece of land is yours for it to be rightfully yours; you have to develop it, work on it or use it.
Whats that? A rule? I have to develop the land and use it according to someone else's standards?? Why can I not simply have land to hunt and fish on in my golden years?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
I disagree. Plenty of people understand it and understand that it doesn't work.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.
Please point out am organization that doesn't behave like a govt. You know, with leaders that say "obey the organizations rules (or laws) or get fined or kicked out.
I already addressed this point when BadSheep brought it up, so here it is again:

You don't have to obey your teachers or bosses outside school or your workplace, and they can't force you to stay once the terms you agreed to at your job expire. Politicians are different because they can make laws that you have to obey even when you're on your own property, such as having to get a permit to build something, preventing you from owning items like some firearms, even if you just want to keep it locked away etc. They can even take your property using "eminent domain".
Who validates that person A with a degree from an supposed organization is a real doctor as opposed to a fake? Who checks that the doctor is following the proper standards and not taking shortcuts?
People who are knowledgeable in these fields can build a reputation by studying at places known for their professionalism. You don't need a government deciding or declaring who is skilled or not, you just need peer review and the ability to demonstrate these skills.
Actually, you can argue in court that while you did break the law, you either did so with good intent or that the law should not be there in the first place. Jury nullification is the term.
There are a few points to address here:

1) Jury nullification isn't a legal argument, since it is not argued in court, and it isn't even argued by the defendant or his/her lawyers. It takes place during deliberations by the jury.

2) Jury nullification is the jury deciding to acquit a defendant because they don't agree with the law, which is anarchistic because they are disregarding the fact that those in power have deemed it to be law. Here is a great and short video explaining it a little more in-depth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H5mFVGtLm4
Your viewpoint seems to be "fight the rules automatically" rather than decide if the rules actually are beneficial.
My viewpoint is that principles should be judged based on their merit, not whether they have been declared as "rules" by those in power, and not based on who declares them to be rules or laws.
Lots of ways to hurt others without actually attacking them
Yes, there is also emotional abuse, but I was focusing on the NAP (non-aggression principle) promoting peace.
So you support people benefiting from my hard work for free.
No I don't, I'm just stating that you can't prevent this from happening all the time, because the world isn't perfect. Also, where do you think your taxes go? It doesn't all go back to you, it also goes to stupid stuff like this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nancy-pelosis-in-flight-food-and-drink-costs-101000-2010-1
People don't have the time to attend the meetings for every single event that could or does affect them.
Right, but if it affects them that much, then they should take the time to reach out to those involved, and usually do. Either way, my point is that regardless of any problems that society faces, governments will always be illegitimate because no one has the right to forcibly control another (the right to rule).
Circular argument again.
Why? It is a fact that when you vote for a politician, you are voting for him or her to pass laws; laws that are imposed on you. You can either be free, or you can believe you should vote for a politician to control you by forcing you to obey him, but it can't be both.
How often do they train?
Whatever amount is adequate.
If they are training to defend the community, who pays them?
Me and whoever else wants their services.
Who makes certain they do the job right?
It will be hard for them to be hired if they do a crappy job or can't prove that they have the skills being asked for.

Also, governments can't answer any question pertaining to "Who will do this or that?", because they don't force anyone to study, train or apply for these jobs, which is a good thing, because they shouldn't force anyone to do so.
Who feeds and clothes them?
Themselves by using the money they are paid for their services.
Sounds like you end up with a government there.
It's not a government because I don't have to obey whoever I hire to protect me.
Its a system. A rather limited one, but still a system.
If you consider two basic principles (the non-aggression and self-ownership principles) a system, that's up to you then.
How does this system handle those that don't respect their neighbors as equals?
People have the right to protect themselves against attackers and thieves.
And if the other person brings their own "witnesses" that say that the other person was there first?
This can happen in court too. Unfortunately, truth and justice won't always win, with or without government, because like I said before, the world isn't perfect.
Whats that? A rule? I have to develop the land and use it according to someone else's standards??
Not really, it's a universal principle that applies whether or not someone declares it to be the case.
Why can I not simply have land to hunt and fish on in my golden years?
You can hunt and fish on the land, but it doesn't automatically make it entirely yours, and you can't claim every animal on the land is yours; only the animals you have hunted yourself, since these are the only animals you worked to obtain.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.
I disagree. You simply have to look at the number of anarchists vs everyone who has ever heard about it to see that people overwhelming reject it. The fact that you have to combine it with the non-aggression principle to try and address the largest flaw in anarchy is big sign that even you know it won't work.

I already addressed this point when BadSheep brought it up, so here it is again:

You don't have to obey your teachers or bosses outside school or your workplace,
To some extent you do. Homework and drug testing in the workplace spring to mind.

Politicians are different because they can make laws that you have to obey even when you're on your own property, such as having to get a permit to build something, preventing you from owning items like some firearms, even if you just want to keep it locked away etc.
You give politicians more power than they really have.

They can even take your property using "eminent domain".
I agree that ED is a serious issue that needs to be severely curtailed.

People who are knowledgeable in these fields can build a reputation by studying at places known for their professionalism. You don't need a government deciding or declaring who is skilled or not, you just need peer review and the ability to demonstrate these skills.
I feel you are dodging the point. Con man moves into an area, claims to be a doctor. Prove he isn't one. A real doctor in one area kills a few patients because he doesn't give a shit anymore and flees the area. Sets up shop somewhere else. How do you find out he's a bad doctor? Who ensures that the "peers" aren't biased or bribed?

There are a few points to address here:

1) Jury nullification isn't a legal argument, since it is not argued in court, and it isn't even argued by the defendant or his/her lawyers. It takes place during deliberations by the jury.
You can actually argue in court that while the defendant did break the law, he did so for a good reason. Stole the car to drive an injured person to the hospital. Broke in to a house to aid someone inside. Killed the man to save the child.

2) Jury nullification is the jury deciding to acquit a defendant because they don't agree with the law, which is anarchistic because they are disregarding the fact that those in power have deemed it to be law. Here is a great and short video explaining it a little more in-depth:
It's a built in safety check.

My viewpoint is that principles should be judged based on their merit, not whether they have been declared as "rules" by those in power, and not based on who declares them to be rules or laws.
More splitting hairs. If "A" is bad and everyone agrees its bad, who cares if someone says "The law says "A" is bad and anyone doing "A" will be jailed for it."

Yes, there is also emotional abuse, but I was focusing on the NAP (non-aggression principle) promoting peace.
Petty vandalism, sabotage, etc. How are those things stopped or punished?

No I don't, I'm just stating that you can't prevent this from happening all the time, because the world isn't perfect. Also, where do you think your taxes go? It doesn't all go back to you, it also goes to stupid stuff like this:
It could be stopped. I argue that the people stealing my services for free are harming me (I'm not making money anymore and could starve) and then shoot them. Now what?

Right, but if it affects them that much, then they should take the time to reach out to those involved, and usually do.
Or I pay someone to go for me and express my concerns. Since I know a lot of people with the same concerns, we all decide to pay that one person to represent our views. My group now has a representative.......

Either way, my point is that regardless of any problems that society faces, governments will always be illegitimate because no one has the right to forcibly control another (the right to rule).
Arguing from a false premise. (Gov't are illegitimate because...)
Why? It is a fact that when you vote for a politician, you are voting for him or her to pass laws; laws that are imposed on you. You can either be free, or you can believe you should vote for a politician to control you by forcing you to obey him, but it can't be both.
I'm actually voting for a politician to pass laws that benefit me.
Me and whoever else wants their services.
So only people that can afford protection get it?
That's another problem with anarchy. No neutral people to investigate crimes, protect people or do really anything that modern society has created. Bigots can ban anyone from jobs or services for any reason. Who creates and manages the emergency services?

It will be hard for them to be hired if they do a crappy job or can't prove that they have the skills being asked for.
Dead people can't really complain.

Also, governments can't answer any question pertaining to "Who will do this or that?", because they don't force anyone to study, train or apply for these jobs, which is a good thing, because they shouldn't force anyone to do so.

It's not a government because I don't have to obey whoever I hire to protect me.
"Let me ignore the bodyguards I hired to protect me. That'll end well."

People have the right to protect themselves against attackers and thieves.
Who proves that they were attackers and thieves? Who helps to deescalate things before they result in a death?
This can happen in court too. Unfortunately, truth and justice won't always win, with or without government, because like I said before, the world isn't perfect.
It'll happen a lot more when you strip away the punishments for such things.

Not really, it's a universal principle that applies whether or not someone declares it to be the case.
It's a rule if you try to enforce it on others.

You can hunt and fish on the land, but it doesn't automatically make it entirely yours, and you can't claim every animal on the land is yours; only the animals you have hunted yourself, since these are the only animals you worked to obtain.
So I have no property rights then. Nothing I can do to prevent someone from moving in and hunting or fishing or logging the land and then moving on. Because, according to you, I can only claim what I hunted myself. Everything else is free to claim.

Tell me, what happens if I go on vacation and some nut job moves in and takes my home? He simply claims I abandoned the land or even sold it to him.

Anarchy simply does not work.

This was an interesting read.

https://beinglibertarian.com/anarchy-can-never-work/

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
Voluntaryists and anarchists have no burden to demonstrate how society will function without government, because the point is that governments are not legitimate to begin with.

Here is one of the simplest ways to prove this:

It's impossible to know every law a politician will or will not pass. He may make promises, but these aren't a guarantee, and you can't consent to something you don't know.

Either way, the way people can be protected in a voluntaryist society is very similar to now: you defend yourself or ask others with the necessary skills and tools. It's not about who does what, it's about what should be done, and you don't need coercive institutions like governments to solve anything. People organizing and cooperating is enough.
LDSman said:
So I have no property rights then.
Yes you do. If you build a cabin somewhere in the woods, it's yours and you have the right to keep it.
Tell me, what happens if I go on vacation and some nut job moves in and takes my home? He simply claims I abandoned the land or even sold it to him.
It wouldn't make it his, and you have the right to kick him out. And I'm pretty sure your neighbors will remember that you've been living there instead of the intruder, unless they all got amnesia or developed Alzheimer's somehow.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Voluntaryists and anarchists have no burden to demonstrate how society will function without government, because the point is that governments are not legitimate to begin with.
In a debate where you are trying to argue that anarchy/voluntryism is better than the current system, you kind of need to show why it is better.

Claiming the gov't is illegitimate doesn't make it so.

Here is one of the simplest ways to prove this:

It's impossible to know every law a politician will or will not pass. He may make promises, but these aren't a guarantee, and you can't consent to something you don't know.
That's a weak argument. I could use that to argue that anything or anyone is bad simply because you can't predict what will happen.

Either way, the way people can be protected in a voluntaryist society is very similar to now: you defend yourself or ask others with the necessary skills and tools. It's not about who does what, it's about what should be done, and you don't need coercive institutions like governments to solve anything.
Under your system, those without money would suffer under those with it. A feudalism.

People organizing and cooperating is enough.
With a gov't, you can bring more resources to bear and can prevent wasted duplication of effort or even outright fraud.

Yes you do. If you build a cabin somewhere in the woods, it's yours and you have the right to keep it.
According to your homesteading rules, it would be only the cabin. Anyone could strip mine the woods around it and claim they are developing their land.

It wouldn't make it his, and you have the right to kick him out. And I'm pretty sure your neighbors will remember that you've been living there instead of the intruder, unless they all got amnesia or developed Alzheimer's somehow.
Imagine a Hatfield and McCoy situation. One person hated by his neighbors for whatever reason. Or I'm very reclusive so the neighbors really don't know who I am.

How would this anarchy system work in a modern society? Even in a large city that requires things to run smoothly all the time? Who enforces the building codes so that some cheap bastard doesn't kill thousands when the sub-par building collapses?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
In a debate where you are trying to argue that anarchy/voluntryism is better than the current system, you kind of need to show why it is better.

Claiming the gov't is illegitimate doesn't make it so.
I never made this the main point of this thread, but I'll try to give a very brief and simple explanation anyway:

Under governments, some people that are given power are imagined to have the right to use force outside of self-defense to control others. Without governments, no one has this right. Some people may try to gain the ability to do so, but they won't have the right, just like some people can steal but don't have the right to steal.
That's a weak argument. I could use that to argue that anything or anyone is bad simply because you can't predict what will happen.
My argument is that you don't even know entirely what you're consenting to when you vote, so it is literally consenting to anything that the politicians declare as "law".

Here is a good article explaining the silliness of the "Social Contract": https://steemit.com/anarchy/@larkenrose/the-social-contract-excuse
Under your system, those without money would suffer under those with it. Feudalism.
As opposed to with a government, where they can claim any amount of your income they want as long as they make it part of the tax law, or can declare any piece of land "federal land/government property"?
With a gov't, you can bring more resources to bear and can prevent wasted duplication of effort or even outright fraud.
I thought someone who leaned more towards conservatism like you would be skeptical of how efficient the government is, and it's extremely inefficient at making the most use of resources.
According to your homesteading rules, it would be only the cabin. Anyone could strip mine the woods around it and claim they are developing their land.
And as long as they permit you to leave both your cabin and the general vicinity, they have the right to develop this land if they pour their resources into it.
Imagine a Hatfield and McCoy situation. One person hated by his neighbors for whatever reason. Or I'm very reclusive so the neighbors really don't know who I am.
So? It's still your house. You can kick him out and get help from others you know if you can't do it by yourself.
How would this anarchy system work in a modern society? Even in a large city that requires things to run smoothly all the time?
By people realizing it's irrational and dangerous to obey other people, because no one is perfect, and those who seek power are the most likely to abuse it.
Who enforces the building codes so that some cheap bastard doesn't kill thousands when the sub-par building collapses?
It is automatically the landowner's responsibility to keep his property safe if he is offering to rent it to others, because it's his property and it should be assumed that the place is suitable for renting if he is indeed renting it.

If something happens to a tenant because of the condition of the property, I would say the tenant doesn't owe any rent and the landowner is liable for any expenses related to the tenant's injuries. As for how this would be settled or mediated, there are already private organizations that handle cases like these:

http://www.arbserve.com/pages/private_arbitration.htm

That's just one example of how the business exists in Portland. As such, different companies can offer different prices and terms, which means a larger amount of the publics' needs can be satisfied as opposed to the absurdly costly and slow legal system.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
In the cabin example, whether or not I built it and lived in it and the neighbors remember this matters little if the person who takes it over has the means to prevent me from living in it/taking it back. They might be violating my right to live in the cabin I made myself, but who gives a shit when there's nothing to back that up?

In our current world, I could just call the cops when someone use force to take over my home and they'll sort out the problem. But what do I do when we're in an anarchist society? Hope that my neighbors will both have the means to force this intruder out and feel like risking their asses for me?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
In our current world, I could just call the cops when someone use force to take over my home and they'll sort out the problem. But what do I do when we're in an anarchist society? Hope that my neighbors will both have the means to force this intruder out and feel like risking their asses for me?

You do realize the police force can only do so much right? They can't be there to save everybody. Is this person armed? Is this person dangerous? Is this person alone? Do you even have any neighbors?
Do you have reception in that location? Do you have a way of self defense, etc.
These are all questions you'd need to ask yourself in a situation like this. If the persons got a weapon, the police aren't going to be much help anyways and in most states, self defense is justified given the circumstances. It's a reason we have the 2nd Amendment.

I for one, don't necessarily believe in Anarchy, but at the same time I'm against the current system. We need police, need firefighters, need doctors, need road construction workers, etc. Hell we even need prisons but they shouldn't be filled with inmates for drug charges and petty shit like they are now. America makes up such a small portion of the population, yet has the highest incarceration rate in the world. Only heinous crimes and violent crimes, and some drug charges should apply (selling heroin for instance). Marijuana being a federal crime is a joke in itself, it's just to cover big pharma's asses and throw you in prison to be a slave and lose your rights. Most of these are funded by our beloved government that cares for us oh so much. The governments not about helping the citizens, never have and never will be this way. They want us to fail, they feed off the weak.

If the government actually did what they're supposed to do. We wouldn't be having these problems. But their power hungry narcissistic assholes fear mongering from on top of their towers only want what's best for them, and that the rich and wealthy gets richer while the rest of the population continues to grow poorer or remain in debt, just getting by, etc. They want us to be dependent on them, have us incarcerated, have us as criminals. Cause then it's hard to get a job so you get sucked back into that life and that's exactly what they want from you. At this point, they have total control of you. We're forced against our will to follow THEIR rules and regulations, while they can bend the rules and we all know they do.
Where'd that hundreds of millions in charity funds for Haiti go that the Clintons threw and stole all that money from fellow Americans? Haiti never saw any of that money. It went into the pockets of these politicians. This is a perfect example of our political system. Robbing it's citizens for their own benefits.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'm aware that our government has its problems, and the "call the cops" example wasn't really my point.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm aware that our government has its problems, and the "call the cops" example wasn't really my point.

How exactly would the police solve the situation if a group or someone was trying to take over your home or your property? Are these people government officials, real estate agencies, do you owe the bank money, or are they just some goons trying to take your home? What was the cause and effect of the current situation? Elaborate

And Anarchism wouldn't work as a society's political direction. As much as I hate the current system, anarchism would be worse than having a government. We pay the government through tax money to give us roads to drive, provide us with police, firefighters, paramedics, etc. If there was no government, who would pay all these officers, teachers, road construction workers, etc. People would quickly realize having a government is more practical than full blown anarchy. Anarchy, would allow the mentally ill and psychotic people to do their evil deeds without consequences, unless someone were to put it into their own hands since there's no penalty for death.
All in all. It would just give those that wish they had more power, more power. Humanity is greedy and violent by nature. Humans have been killing eachother since the beginning.

Last edited:
Back