• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GM or player? GM AND player?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
Some arrange RPs and play the masterminds, creating worlds and managing events. Others create characters and build stories, interact and look forward to surprises and events within the adventures.

Which role do you prefer in general, Game Master or Player in a RP here? Why? :3

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I think I'm stronger as a player. Because as a player, I think I can be more funny and adapt more to situations. :3

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
I've been a player more often, but recently I've been lured in by the pull of GM'ing. Developing history, creating maps, environments, magic systems, etc. is really fun. It's a task I find myself getting really engrossed in. Then the best part is seeing how others manipulate and add to your lore to fit their characters into and around it.

So I think I'd like to be a GM a lil' bit more. Not by too much though. :P

Years
Being a GM I have found is pretty fun, although not easy. I've found its quite a bit like herding cats. I really need to work on getting things started quickly, as it can be hard to keep interest sometimes. But other than that I find it incredibly amusing to mess with my players and see what happens when I throw them into a situation.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I prefer being a player as there's less responsibility and less worrying about if someone's going to post or just drop off the face of the earth and make you pick up their character because you don't want it to end. but then being a gm can be fun too because you can plot all kinds of things and just never tell anyone until it pops up. Make all the plot twists.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
I usually love being GM. Plotting, twisting, guiding, creating the world and have others want to come and play in it... It's heaven for creative people with a bit of a controlling side 8)

But lately I think I need to be a player instead. As Alvey says, there is sort of less responsibility, even if you are still crucial to the RPs. You can focus on yourself and what you build with others. I have almost always GM'd something so it should be a nice break haha.

Years
As much as I love being a player, GMing is my forte and is probably my favourite thing to do. There's just something about creating and manipulating a world and watching how players handle it.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I'm lazy so being a player is preferable for me haha - I just like being swept along for the ride. I tried my hand at GM'ing here at PC once or twice like... 6 years ago and the result was so pitiful that I resolved never to subject anyone to my GM'ing again LOL.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
I love to create worlds and act as an omnipotent, all powerful being who decides the course of life and death... but I don't have enough time in the day. So I get to enjoy others stories most of the time.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I think I'd lean more towards player. Just seems funner. GMing requires that you maintain an entire universe and canon, but being a player seems a bit more relaxed. I probably wouldn't be opposed to being a GM, if there was a Roleplay that I really wanted to see happen and but it wasn't being done by anyone else.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
Years
Being a GM [...] I've found its quite a bit like herding cats.

tumblr_mnd7dkezGD1r08o57o2_500.gif

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
GM GM GM GM

However, I'm too lazy to actually become a GM and submit my roleplays. I like navigating people through stories and seeing how the characters develop, and how my roleplay develops with them. It's really satisfying to see people enjoying the content you created and the characters they created for it.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
I find it more fun to be a player. As a GM, there is this intense pressure for you to know where each and every player for your RP while managing the world, all the while creating plots for story development and understanding how each character's subplot might affect your general plot.

However, I think Journey RPs are fun to mod as they're relatively easier to handle compared to other types of RPs.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
I have largely been a player in my RP career and I find that that is the one i find to be more enjoyable. This in mind though, I also like to feel in control of everything in regards to how an RP is run. So I must say I hope to be a GM at some point in the future.

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
I rather enjoy both parts. I enjoy writing and love to be in worlds both of my creation or others. Like Retro Bug, I really enjoy GMing, but I'm too lazy most of the time. Hopefully, people like Fire can keep me in check!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I like being a player. I was a simi GM of an RP back in the summer, and I wasn't a huge fan of it. I don't like planning things in advance. Some people might get left behind or can't keep up. I don't like rushing people. Plus, if you are a main GM, I would say it becomes almost like a job.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
I'm not sure, since I've not really been a successful GM. I'd say I prefer the player role in general though, which may surprise some who know me personally. I love the element of surprise, I love writing with my fellow players and I love love love making characters for different settings and seeing them blossom into beautiful little butterflies.

When the RP gets that far, that is. Regardless of role, I hate seeing an RP die before its time in the limelight is fully experienced. Still, RPer, GM, it's the experience that matters most to me. I really do enjoy both, maybe if I make a successful RP one day... I'll have a more valid opinion.~

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
While I have an interest in GMing something, I feel I even lack still in the player category and find myself to intimidated to GM something.

Not to mention I have the attention span of a cat.

Back