• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Scientific/Realistic Explanation of Mega Evolution?

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
Some animals are capable of changing the color and texture of their skin to look more threatening, such as the mimic octopus, which could explain the visible changes. As for power, it could be that you're simply putting the pokemon's body into a state of severe stress, resulting in the brain allowing the muscles to do more work and thus increasing the pokemon's power.

Kashima DAC

Alpha Trainer Kashima
Years
Some animals are capable of changing the color and texture of their skin to look more threatening, such as the mimic octopus, which could explain the visible changes. As for power, it could be that you're simply putting the pokemon's body into a state of severe stress, resulting in the brain allowing the muscles to do more work and thus increasing the pokemon's power.

Best explanation I've read.

kirbasaur

Human-Ivasaur hybrid
Years
ya, speculation can be fun. so then how do you explain a little red fish turning into a sea serpant?

Jakeremix

Poképro~
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 16, 2015
Mega Evolution really drove me insane because of how little sense it makes and how fast it takes for a pokemon to change the drastically. Especially with Mega Kangaskhan... the baby that couldn't even walk suddenly becomes a toddler, but when the battle's over, it loses those years again?

The same way you explain a tiny squirmy caterpillar turning into a much larger and more elegant butterfly.

...uh, a cocoon? Believe it or not, that happens in reality! :o

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
I actually have an alternate explanation for mega Kangaskhan. I believe that the joey carried in the mother's pouch is male, and undergoes a gender change not dissimilar to that of a clownfish (Yes, clownfish do that) when it mega evolves. It appears as though female Kangaskhan are dominant, so this temporary sex change also greatly increases the joey's maturity, intelligence, and power, to the degree that it can be allowed to leave the safety of its pouch. It's even possible that male Kangaskhan are always in the form we see being carried by the mother, and that they are only allowed out to breed with other females, kind of like a less extreme version of an angler fish.

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
Years
I actually have an alternate explanation for mega Kangaskhan. I believe that the joey carried in the mother's pouch is male, and undergoes a gender change not dissimilar to that of a clownfish (Yes, clownfish do that) when it mega evolves. It appears as though female Kangaskhan are dominant, so this temporary sex change also greatly increases the joey's maturity, intelligence, and power, to the degree that it can be allowed to leave the safety of its pouch. It's even possible that male Kangaskhan are always in the form we see being carried by the mother, and that they are only allowed out to breed with other females, kind of like a less extreme version of an angler fish.

Well... That's a weird and disturbing theory.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I was listening to a youtube video about a week ago speculating on the mechanics of mega evos. I wasn't really all that tuned into it since I haven't played X and Y yet, but some of the things he was saying were like the mega evos are the spirtitual identity of the pokemon taking on a physical appearance, or that the mega evos are primitive versions of the pokemon. The spiritual part he was saying like looking at their dex entries and then the typings they're given once they transform and idk. He used Mega Gyarados as an example since its entries are about it being basically an evil destructive force so it's given a dark typing instead of a dragon typing like people wanted. His other theory was that they're primitive versions of the pokemon, in real life scientists have been experimenting with sound waves and elderly people because they think there's a certain frequency that can get their muscles and bones to stop deteriorating and instead start growing and put them back into a younger physical form, which his theory went on saying that the stones emit a frequency that only affects the pokemon and amplifies the process mentioned before reverting them to a primitive state from before humans came, meaning Gyarados was more destructive and wild, pokemon flew around with crystals on their bodies because people weren't harvesting them, and etc..

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
Years
Mega Evolution seems to work on a similar principle as evolution via Fire/Water/Leaf/Moon/Sun/Thunder stones. However, unlike with those stones, the effects of Mega Evolution seem to only be temporary. The best reasoning I can come up with for this is is that Mega Stones give off some sort of radiation that only effects certain Pokemon, and only when those Pokemon are already agitated from the state of battle. However, it is possible there is some mystical element to Mega Evolution, so there may well be more to it than that.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
The most scientific way I can look at it is the adrenaline theory mentioned earlier in the thread. A sudden burst of the hormone can put the body under severe stress, which could explain many of the protruding features that appear on most of the megalutions.

Adrenaline is most commonly affiliated with the "fight or flight" mechanic we all apparently have drilled into our body as well, thus explaining the huge increase in stats in attack and speed.

This would also explain why the transformation is temporary, since sooner or later an adrenaline rush fades away and heart rate etc return to normal.

However the one thing I can't wrap my head around is how this process revolves around a certain stone and a loving bond between Pokemon and trainer? Maybe something to do with certain chemicals been released? I'm stumped with that one.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
As for mega stones, it could be that the stones are hollow and the reaction is triggered by the vibrations created by tapping the mega ring's stone. The ring's stone creates vibrations, and the mega stone itself receives and focuses them to a frequency that corresponds to the needs of each pokemon in order to mega evolve. The signal is sent to the brain, which allows for a transformation to take place. It's a bit of a stretch, but this could explain why each pokemon requires a unique mega stone, as each would produce different vibrations. This theory does loose some merit due to abomasnow having the ability soundproof, though. And as for the whole, "You must have a strong bond with your pokemon," thing, that's clearly just a theory of Sycamore's since even Lysandre can mega evolve his Pokemon.

Crzyphl

The Crazy Phil
Years
  • Age 28
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 1, 2014
After being activated by vibration (like kameken said), the mega stone manifests its power into a sphere around the pokemon: inside this is a temporal rift which changes the pokemon's appearance to what it would have been a bagillion years ago.
So its like evolution but back in time? Like backwards actual evolution but in the good way.
Anyway, this state wears off when the pokemon is put back in its pokeball because its put in some other dimension that doesnt allow temporala rifts.
And there you have it, the un-sciency way of explaining mega evolution using science thats not science!

kirbasaur

Human-Ivasaur hybrid
Years
well if you recall the pokemon then send it out again it is still MEGA evolved.

kirbasaur

Human-Ivasaur hybrid
Years
It's like this there are things in pokemon that can not be explained, like how say a 2 foot tall magikarp evolves into a 21 foot gyarados. where dose he get all the extra mater.

(mater can nether be created or destroyed.)

Back