• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sword and Shield are 10gb in download size

Years
According to Nintendo Switch eShop retail cards, the games will be 10.3gb. What do you guys think of this when compared to other main series Pokémon games?

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Well, comparatively speaking inside the Pokemon series that is pretty huge. But it comes with the hardware upgrade, really - you expect bigger file sizes for digital titles, so this is nothing new. I'm surprised Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee were as small as they were, but whilst I am loathe to give SnS any kind of praise, I will grudgingly admit that they are more ambitious in scope than those games were. That doesn't necessarily mean there will be more actual content (although I hope there will be, because for crying out loud there ought to be) but...well, file size is no indication of quality or quantity.

But I can't help but wonder just how much of this is wasted or could be compressed, because Game Freak do not know how to make video games efficiently. I have a horrible suspicion that when these games get picked apart, the content will not justify the file size...because I doubt the way Game Freak make Pokemon games has really changed.

pkmin3033

Just wondering how much storage space is on the Switch by default?
I'm buying a physical copy for sure, 10GBs is a lot.
Switch has an internal storage of 32GB, so yeah, 10GB is a hell of a lot if you don't have a micro SD card...which are relatively cheap to buy these days in smaller sizes, but you'd need at least a 16GB to even fit it on there, so yeah.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Article (written by yours truly) linked with the thread. I included a size comparison with some Switch titles and the 3DS Pokemon games (and LGPE). Also noted the new (previous gen) Pokemon we can see on that download card too for the Galar region!

Years
I'm forced to buy a physical copy because my Switch Lite can't go online at this house....like I can't even go on the eshop like what is that? xD My 2DS can't go online either, but my 3DS can. o_O; Well at least I don't have to buckle down with the online fee of $20 a year so YAY!

So yeah, the GB size doesn't burn as much as YOU GUYS! :P

Sorry I had to say it.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
I'll most likely get a physical copy, as I tend to not by digital games that are super large in size.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Maybe the wild area has something to do with it? Who knows.

That's being said, I'm glad they at least found a way to compress the game to a reasonable size compared to other 120GB games.

Years
This has never bothered me because we've got games like Call Of Duty that are coming up to 175gb...

Now that's ridiculous.

Years
not much to say for me. i used to think that bigger file sizes = more content, but that's not always the case, so we'll see once review copies get sent out if these are really meatier than past pokemon games.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
It's good to know how big Pokémon Sword/Shield's file sizes should be, and I was expecting it to be tad bit bigger in some way. So I might need to upgrade my micro SD card soon just in case I'm reconsidering to play Sword/Shield on digital.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2022
It's pretty big, so I'm probably going to get a physical copy because I hate having too little space in my switch. That said, if GF makes the game as inefficiently as they're wont to do it doesn't bode well for the amount of game content we'll get.

Back