• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
(Sorry, I really have no knowledge of this stuff). Do you mean, like, the number for where the sprite is being allocated to, and for the pallete?
If I used freespace finder, and got a space of, say... 8036, I'd change it to 8034/38/30/3C? Or is the offset something different? Sorry!

He means the offset of the image has to end with a 0, 4, 8, or C. The numbers in UNLZ.gba are just for reference, each picture is stored in the game, and the offset is basically wherever the picture is stored. The offsets of the palate and image are shown in UNLZ.gba. And when you use Free Space Finder, and it gives you the offset, make sure it ends in 0, 4, 8 or C...If it doesn't just count up from it until you get to a 0, 4, 8, or C

For example, if it gives you the offset 0x800406, round it up to 0x800408.

Hope that helped :)

fatmanjumprope

黒雷 神 エネル
Years
A-Trainer bug issue need help bad D:

I didn't know if this was the right spot for my question so let me start by saying sorry if it's not.

Anyway Whenever I start up a-trainer and load a rom into the program it stalls for a few seconds and gives me this message in an error box.

Subscript out of range.
DrawTile8@modLZ77

It then gives me the option to Retry/cancel/or close

When I click retry or cancel it gives me the same message. Close closes the program entirely. As you can probably imagine this is a huge hindrance in the completion of my hack not being able to use a-trainer. I've experimented with a-trainer a little over a year ago on the same computer without having any issues at all until now. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I've searched all around the web including here on the pokecommunity but I can't find any solutions for this SPECIFIC issue.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2021
He means the offset of the image has to end with a 0, 4, 8, or C. The numbers in UNLZ.gba are just for reference, each picture is stored in the game, and the offset is basically wherever the picture is stored. The offsets of the palate and image are shown in UNLZ.gba. And when you use Free Space Finder, and it gives you the offset, make sure it ends in 0, 4, 8 or C...If it doesn't just count up from it until you get to a 0, 4, 8, or C

For example, if it gives you the offset 0x800406, round it up to 0x800408.

Hope that helped :)

ahh, yeah, that helps, I think!
But, it seems that's not where the problem is... because freespace finder has been giving me numbers ending in 0,4,8 and C, but the images still become distorted once I import more than one image.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2020
Is it possible to make a hack where you start in Kanto instead of Johto in Pokemon Gold?

Yes, it is, but that would be a lot of scripting work on your part.

I'm making a game out of firered and I have this problem where a character doesn't appear until you step into the map.

Last edited:

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I got a question.
So I want to appear corphish on this beach. (on the sand)
But I don't how and if it actually possible in Advance map.

redriders180

Years
Aw man, I had a question, but completely forgot it v.v Anyways, back to answering!

I got a question.
So I want to appear corphish on this beach. (on the sand)
But I don't how and if it actually possible in Advance map.

If you set the sand's behavior byte to $08 $00 and the background byte to $00 $01 (or $00 $21, if it needs to be covered by hero), then it will do wild grass battles, without any animations. That's the same behavior byte as interior cave tiles.

I'm making a game out of firered and I have this problem where a character doesn't appear until you step into the map.
Sometimes this happens to me whenever two characters on the map share the same person event number. This will also occur is a person is too close to the map border, because the game doesn't load the OWs until you enter the map. To remedy it, just move it farther away. I think six tiles above or below the border, and eight tiles to the left or right is sufficient.

ahh, yeah, that helps, I think!
But, it seems that's not where the problem is... because freespace finder has been giving me numbers ending in 0,4,8 and C, but the images still become distorted once I import more than one image.
It'd be nice to see a picture...since you don't have enough posts, maybe you could send me a VM?

I didn't know if this was the right spot for my question so let me start by saying sorry if it's not.

Anyway Whenever I start up a-trainer and load a rom into the program it stalls for a few seconds and gives me this message in an error box.

Subscript out of range.
DrawTile8@modLZ77

It then gives me the option to Retry/cancel/or close

When I click retry or cancel it gives me the same message. Close closes the program entirely. As you can probably imagine this is a huge hindrance in the completion of my hack not being able to use a-trainer. I've experimented with a-trainer a little over a year ago on the same computer without having any issues at all until now. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I've searched all around the web including here on the pokecommunity but I can't find any solutions for this SPECIFIC issue.
Typically, when I see that error, there's something odd with the code. For example, maybe one of the trainers is using a picture number that doesn't exist, or something similar. A-map does have its bugs sometimes, so the best thing to do might be to either do a restore from a previous backup, or go in with a hex editor and find something off.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2013

Cheers! I am a newb to scripting, so this may take quite awhile haha.

I want to make a hack that has the player starting in Kanto, replaying 'R/B' but in an alternate reality, if you will.

This will mean I also have to redo Kanto almost exactly how it was in R/B.

Also, is it possible to 'destroy' Cinnabar Island? As in, have it in it's normal state until you finish a certain region, then it 'blows up' and looks different?

And is it possible to surf on lava?

redx2dth

Metapods' got class!
Years
Also, is it possible to 'destroy' Cinnabar Island? As in, have it in it's normal state until you finish a certain region, then it 'blows up' and looks different?

This code is for PsvkUI and should work with XSE but theres no promices:
setmaptile <Location X> <Location Y> <Tile> <movement permision>
So for example if you wanted to change your mailbox in pallet town to flowers and allow passage over it it you would use this:
setmaptile 0x04 0x07 0x04 0x0C

And is it possible to surf on lava?
In advance map use permission tile 4.

Last edited:

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
If you set the sand's behavior byte to $08 $00 and the background byte to $00 $01 (or $00 $21, if it needs to be covered by hero), then it will do wild grass battles, without any animations. That's the same behavior byte as interior cave tiles.

Thanks you very much I really appreciate it.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2020
So, I have a weird problem. Everytime I walk into my map of Pallet town from route 1, the sprites on one of the houses becomes random other sprites. If I walk until it's off the screen and return then it returns to normal. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
So, I have a weird problem. Everytime I walk into my map of Pallet town from route 1, the sprites on one of the houses becomes random other sprites. If I walk until it's off the screen and return then it returns to normal. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

It sounds like your version of Route 1 is using a different secondary tileset to that of Pallet Town. If you want to prevent the tiles from being mixed up by the sudden change of map then there are three options available to you:

• Change Route 1's secondary tileset so it is the same as Pallet Town's
  • Move the affected houses further away from Route 1 so you won't see the tiles when you change maps
  • Place a guard house between the town and Route.

Any one of those three solutions should prevent you from seeing the roof tiles 'glitch' and change.

Last edited by a moderator:

stocko

Toast Engineer
Years
Hi all, I have a quick little question here, it is regarding checkgender and maybe special commands.

I want to check the gender of a pokemon rather than the player.
Checkgender obviously doesn't do this, it only checks the players gender.
If someone could tell me how to do this that would be awesome :)

Thanks in advance.

redriders180

Years
Hi all, I have a quick little question here, it is regarding checkgender and maybe special commands.

I want to check the gender of a pokemon rather than the player.
Checkgender obviously doesn't do this, it only checks the players gender.
If someone could tell me how to do this that would be awesome :)

Thanks in advance.

Well, gender of a Pokemon is found by doing alot of annoying complicated calculations on the personality value...it's not stored in an easy-to-find place. You'd most likely have to do those complex calculations and compare the result to determine its gender. Which is way over scripting and into ASM, as far as I can tell. I'm not sure how you could fake it, but it might be a good opportunity to try learning ASM.

Death_Mande

Avenged Sevenfold.
Years
I kinda screwed up while following this tutorial. I got up to the point where I needed to use a hex editor and edit the item so it would perform a script if the player were to use the item. I skipped that part, and went directly in-game and tested the item out. It worked well, I had received the item in-game along with it's new description and so on.

My only problem is that I indexed the "????????" after the Green Shard as 34. I followed his instructions, but I failed to notice that, on my ROM (for some reason) the Green Shard is indexed at 51 and not 33. Now every time I try to edit any item, the Item Editor gives me this error:

Spoiler:

It displays part of the item's description above the "MASTER BALL", gives me that error and then crashes. Any ideas on how I could fix this? Help is greatly appreciated.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Questions

Can anybody help me with my questions?

1) How do I insert new Pokemon?
2)How do I create a new Pokemon event?
3)How do I create a new title screen then write it to my ROM?

Anybody who helps is greatly appreciated.

Thnx.

Hacks0rus

Monster Raving Looney
Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2012

redriders180

Years
I kinda screwed up while following this tutorial. I got up to the point where I needed to use a hex editor and edit the item so it would perform a script if the player were to use the item. I skipped that part, and went directly in-game and tested the item out. It worked well, I had received the item in-game along with it's new description and so on.

My only problem is that I indexed the "????????" after the Green Shard as 34. I followed his instructions, but I failed to notice that, on my ROM (for some reason) the Green Shard is indexed at 51 and not 33. Now every time I try to edit any item, the Item Editor gives me this error:

Spoiler:

It displays part of the item's description above the "MASTER BALL", gives me that error and then crashes. Any ideas on how I could fix this? Help is greatly appreciated.

This happened to me, but for the life of me, I can't remember what I did to fix it...I believe I found another item editing program and changed the name and values. You could try that and see if it works...the program I used is called Item Manager. I hope it helps!

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
If I mod a trainer using A-Trainer such that I give them a Revive/Max-Revive/Sacred Ash as one of their four items, will the AI use them? Or will it not work with those kinds of items? Same question for Full Heals and the various X-Items as well.

Just wondering.

Death_Mande

Avenged Sevenfold.
Years
This happened to me, but for the life of me, I can't remember what I did to fix it...I believe I found another item editing program and changed the name and values. You could try that and see if it works...the program I used is called Item Manager. I hope it helps!

Hello! Thanks for the help, I downloaded ZodiacDaGreat's Item Manager, but it too gave me the error.

Spoiler:

I tried using another Item Editor, apparently it's a "mod" of the original one I was using. The mod was made by Team Snag'em. None of these three editors worked though. I kept receiving the same error but with different numbers. Do you have any idea if there are any other editors that may allow me to fix this problem? Thanks again.

If I mod a trainer using A-Trainer such that I give them a Revive/Max-Revive/Sacred Ash as one of their four items, will the AI use them? Or will it not work with those kinds of items? Same question for Full Heals and the various X-Items as well.

Just wondering.

I tested it in Fire Red using A-Trainer. I gave the opponent 3 Revives and 1 Max Revive, but the AI did not use any of them. I stalled the battle for a few minutes and nothing.

Here's the script I was using:

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back