Planning Where all the hard work happens. Got an idea? You don't have to be part of the team to share it with us.

Old January 19th, 2017 (12:23 PM).

Nature: Calm
    Hi, so as I'm sure some of you remember, the move relearner is pretty cool, but he can only make a Pokemon relearn up to 20 moves. I think this needs to be fixed, and I also know it can be with the power of programming. What do you guys think? Any other ideas on how to improve the move relearner?

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 19th, 2017 (7:59 PM).
    Oozma Kappa

Nature: Careful
      My only suggestion is to make the Move Relearner available earlier in the game. In most games I'm always super worried about forgetting moves because I know I change my mind, I'll have to wait to the endgame to get them back.

Old February 5th, 2017 (2:16 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Uncommon View Post
        My only suggestion is to make the Move Relearner available earlier in the game. In most games I'm always super worried about forgetting moves because I know I change my mind, I'll have to wait to the endgame to get them back.
        I agree with this 100%. This is a big deal for me too.

I also have 2 suggestions for move relearning. (1) Have moves cost $ instead of stupid items that are acquired via catching a specific type of pkmn or finding as items in the OW. This makes pokedollars more valuable overall, too. (2) Make the Relearner part of the PC (if possible). This solves the mid-game availability issue while also making it easier on the player because the service is more accessible. (i.e. you don't have to walk/fly to any particular city to find the guy, you just access the PC)
        Old February 6th, 2017 (1:26 AM).
        Resident ASMAGICIAN

Quote:
          Originally Posted by blakcat View Post
          I agree with this 100%. This is a big deal for me too.

I also have 2 suggestions for move relearning. (1) Have moves cost $ instead of stupid items that are acquired via catching a specific type of pkmn or finding as items in the OW. This makes pokedollars more valuable overall, too. (2) Make the Relearner part of the PC (if possible). This solves the mid-game availability issue while also making it easier on the player because the service is more accessible. (i.e. you don't have to walk/fly to any particular city to find the guy, you just access the PC)
          I don't really like the PC integration idea from a development perspective - it's quite annoying to add new sections to menus so I'd rather not do it. However, we could possibly integrate it into the Pokepad. Maybe we can use the phone: you meet the Relearner early in the game and exchange contact details, after this you can call them and they do their thing. We could even incorporate the other special NPCs (Happiness checker, Name rater, move deleter...) if we're creative enough with the dialogue.

I can't seem to think of any glitches/weird behaviour that could arise from allowing this process to happen whenever you feel like it. The only potential problem I see is that you can just change your movepool whenever, but seeing as you can do that with TMs now I'm sure the issues with that can be worked out.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
          Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
          Old February 6th, 2017 (10:36 AM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Touched View Post
            I don't really like the PC integration idea from a development perspective - it's quite annoying to add new sections to menus so I'd rather not do it. However, we could possibly integrate it into the Pokepad. Maybe we can use the phone: you meet the Relearner early in the game and exchange contact details, after this you can call them and they do their thing. We could even incorporate the other special NPCs (Happiness checker, Name rater, move deleter...) if we're creative enough with the dialogue.

I can't seem to think of any glitches/weird behaviour that could arise from allowing this process to happen whenever you feel like it. The only potential problem I see is that you can just change your movepool whenever, but seeing as you can do that with TMs now I'm sure the issues with that can be worked out.
            The Poképad would work. I think it's a little too accessible then, but if it's that much easier then we should go that route.

To compensate, we could reward the player for not changing movesets via PP ups, by limiting the number available or their price or something. Or Leppa Berries, or a combination of the two.

It'd be cool to also have those checkers too, although it'd be better if HMs were deletable by default (I hear it's a one-byte hex edit?). I also thought HMs would be gone from the game... (maybe they'd become TMs?)
            Old February 6th, 2017 (10:51 AM).
            Resident ASMAGICIAN

Quote:
              The Poképad would work. I think it's a little too accessible then, but if it's that much easier then we should go that route.

To compensate, we could reward the player for not changing movesets via PP ups, by limiting the number available or their price or something. Or Leppa Berries, or a combination of the two.

It'd be cool to also have those checkers too, although it'd be better if HMs were deletable by default (I hear it's a one-byte hex edit?). I also thought HMs would be gone from the game... (maybe they'd become TMs?)
              We could always force PP to 0 after relearning a move or require the player to exchange the usual items or money. That at least would prevent the player going crazy with relearning. Not really sure how to explain the item swap over a phone call though.

HMs are completely gone - all the HM moves will just forgettable like regular TMs. However the move deleter has other uses. It may not be that useful in a ROM hack that's very story focused, but it allows you to remove moves rather than just replacing them. This can sometimes be useful: I used it in Sun/Moon to keep up a long chain of Dittos by forcing it to Recycle Leppa berries (that way it would never use Struggle). I'm sure it also has other uses I haven't thought of.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
              Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
              Old February 6th, 2017 (11:35 AM).

Quote:
                We could always force PP to 0 after relearning a move or require the player to exchange the usual items or money. That at least would prevent the player going crazy with relearning. Not really sure how to explain the item swap over a phone call though.

HMs are completely gone - all the HM moves will just forgettable like regular TMs. However the move deleter has other uses. It may not be that useful in a ROM hack that's very story focused, but it allows you to remove moves rather than just replacing them. This can sometimes be useful: I used it in Sun/Moon to keep up a long chain of Dittos by forcing it to Recycle Leppa berries (that way it would never use Struggle). I'm sure it also has other uses I haven't thought of.
                That would work. And money makes more sense in that scenario (plus I already suggested we use money instead of those stupid items).

I see what you mean
                Old February 6th, 2017 (8:29 PM).
                Oozma Kappa

Nature: Careful
                  Quote:
                  Move Relearner stuff
                  Quote:
                  Move Relearner stuff
                  Another idea is to have the Move Relearner be some sort of recurring NPC, like a character who's at every Pokemon Center/Mart. Maybe they're all siblings, I don't know. Just an idea for a way to make them easily available throughout the game but not literally in your pocket.

Old February 6th, 2017 (9:00 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Uncommon View Post
                    Another idea is to have the Move Relearner be some sort of recurring NPC, like a character who's at every Pokemon Center/Mart. Maybe they're all siblings, I don't know. Just an idea for a way to make them easily available throughout the game but not literally in your pocket.
                    I had actually thought of that, but decided that an option in the PC was better. Of course, I didn't know how easy/hard it is to add options to the PC menu. I really like the idea about them being siblings, tho. It might be cool if they each collected a different item (heart scale, tiny mush, etc.), but I far prefer using money in trade for relearning moves. (and the player would have to remember where each one was...)

The main dilemma with them being in the PC is what to do about the other suggested "tutors"? Would they all go in the pkmn center? They wouldn't really all fit in the main area, so maybe make a lounge or something for them? (maybe using the unused upstairs?) If they had their own lounge or whatever, it would allow us to cut availability early-game but allow it to remain consistent in the rest of the game.
                    Quick Reply

Sponsored Links