• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Binary vs Dis-assembly hacking?

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
I used to be part of the ROM hacking scene 7-8 years ago. Back then dis-assembly hacking wasn't a thing.

I recently came back and now see that there are two types of ROM hacking. I was wondering what the big Pro's and Cons are of choosing to binary hack or dis-assembly hack?

For example I see that most tools for old school hacking aren't actively supported anymore. Is dis-assembly hacking the best choice now?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 17, 2019
I am also wondering the same thing as i recently started a hack using a ton of old tools that definitely have their quarks

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
I decided to take the jump and started with disassembly. Scripting / tile inserting / mapping is all so much easier once you know where what is. The only problem that I have is that there are a lack of tutorials compared to binary hacking. So you have to look into a lot of stuff yourself.

Last edited:
Years
Same here. I found myself having trouble with setting up the right enviorment on my Computer. There is much support for it out there... But with topics that aren't related to Pokémon. So it is hard to find. But I think binary is easier if you don't want to learn too much of a new language. I mean the scripts are all over the internet. But with disassembly there is a vast community on GitHub and the programs u can use are way more up to date.. But you need to learn Ruby or at least C++. Also there seems to be a problem with communication over the platforms. Like for binary there is much support for Windows users and very little for others especially IOs. And for disassembly I found much more support for Linux.

But looking at the possibilities and what the future might bring I think it will be worth the effort. The binary will fade in no time if disassembly gets even more support :D

Fienexx

Back