• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whats a simple RPG game you can recommend?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I've been getting a friend of mine into RPG's. He has autism though, and he gets stuck on things quickly

So far, we've completed-

Paper Mario
Paper Mario TTYD
Super Mario RPG

I showed him Earthbound, it's a little different, but he loves it. He's about halfway through, and I'm trying to think of others that aren't that complicated

What RPGS can you think of that have a simple battle system?

pkmin3033

Keeping up with the trend, the Mario and Luigi series has a pretty simple battle system - maybe slightly more complicated as its a bit more interactive, but nothing he couldn't pick up if he's beat Paper Mario - so why not try Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions?

Fire Emblem: Awakening is also very simple, and of the games is the easiest of the most recent ones, so if you have a 3DS that'd be worth looking into. You could also try Birthright, but I'd recommend avoiding Conquest and Echoes for now, as they're a little more complex in that they have multiple objectives and have a fairly steep learning curve for newcomers to the series.

Games with a turn-based battle system are definitely way to go for simplicity, although you might want to look into SRPGs as well - nothing on Disgaea's level, of course, but something like Luminous Arc could go down well.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Keeping up with the trend, the Mario and Luigi series has a pretty simple battle system - maybe slightly more complicated as its a bit more interactive, but nothing he couldn't pick up if he's beat Paper Mario - so why not try Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions?

Fire Emblem: Awakening is also very simple, and of the games is the easiest of the most recent ones, so if you have a 3DS that'd be worth looking into. You could also try Birthright, but I'd recommend avoiding Conquest and Echoes for now, as they're a little more complex in that they have multiple objectives and have a fairly steep learning curve for newcomers to the series.

Games with a turn-based battle system are definitely way to go for simplicity, although you might want to look into SRPGs as well - nothing on Disgaea's level, of course, but something like Luminous Arc could go down well.

I recently bought the original for Superstar Saga for Gameboy. He didn't seem very interested, but that might be because he's focused on Earthbound. I'll definitely show it to him again though, so thanks for the reminder.

As for the Fire Emblem series, I've never played a game myself, and I know nothing about it. So I'm not sure how much help I could be if he gets stuck. I'm still willing to try it, and if I can get familiar I'll show it to him.

I'm not sure about an SRPG just yet. He's still learning that characters don't have to all spam the normal attack button. He figured out Peach was a healer in Super Mario RPG, but it took me a while to get it through to him. He is improving though, as when he unlocked partners in Earthbound he started asking me what they were strong with. I think after a while I'll be able to show him SRPG's.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
You've been showing your friend simple RPGs and never thought of Pokémon?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
You've been showing your friend simple RPGs and never thought of Pokémon?

He's seen me play Pokemon...but he's never asked to try it. I'll offer it next time and see what he says. He loves Pokemon Shuffle so maybe he would like the actual games

NightKrow

staying up all night
Years
Darkest Dungeon HAHAHAHAHA

nah jk.
My brother (14yo) also has autism, he's been playing Pokemon since Black and White came out. He's as big a fan of the series as I am, if not even more so. He's also played and enjoyed a few of the Mario + Luigi games (I think he's played Partners in Time, Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team, although I'm not sure how much Dream Team he's played since I think he prefers Luigi's Mansion 2 atm). Maybe give them another go once your friend's finished Earthbound? If your friend prefers tile-based RPGs then maybe give the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, Pokemon Conquest or Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (if you have a Switch) a go. My brother liked Mario + Rabbids (not that he owns his own copy yet, he's just played my copy), but I'm not sure how much he's engaged with the Mystery Dungeon games. I think he's played Gates and Super? I think I tried to give him Blue Rescue Team as well but he didn't want it xD. He likes to play these sorts of games all the time until he's completed them, so getting stuck isn't as much of a problem for him.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Maybe other old school RPGs like early Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana
Undertale is inspired by Earthbound and the combat is simple, but it can be difficult at times
Golden Sun
Persona on easy mode
Bastion, and if he likes that, Transistor
Fallout
2D Zeldas like Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds, and Minish Cap have simple combat and there are usually less puzzles than there are in 3D Zeldas
Okami, it's like Zelda but with more combat and exploration and less puzzles. I don't recommend the Wii version because the motion controls are poorly implemented.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Final Fantasy IV seems like a nice place to start. I remember even as a 7-8 year old playing for the first time, It was pretty simple to get into to. It's the most straight forward one anyways. Simple turn-based battle system with no job classes or customization to worry about, and nothing overly challenging either.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Earthbound is part of a series, it's actually the second one in the series. The third one is independent of the first two and received a fan translation, you may want to check that out. It's called "Mother 3."

Golden Sun and its sequel Golden Sun: The Lost Age are two of my favorite RPGs.

KotOR 1 and 2 are action RPGs and I enjoy both of those a lot. There's a mod for the second one called "The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod" that you should really install if you play KotOR 2, it restores a lot of content that was cut for the final release.

It's more for mature audiences, but Diablo 2 with its expansion is one of my favorite RPGs ever and basically spawned a whole genre of similar games. If you're just going to be playing it single player, there's a mod called PlugY that adds a bunch of nice features.

I'd recommend TES/Fallout, but it requires a bit of modding knowledge to play them without issue in my opinion. I have experience with that and if you're interested in knowing more, hit me up. Fallout: New Vegas is one of my favorite games ever.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Earthbound is part of a series, it's actually the second one in the series. The third one is independent of the first two and received a fan translation, you may want to check that out. It's called "Mother 3."

Golden Sun and its sequel Golden Sun: The Lost Age are two of my favorite RPGs.

KotOR 1 and 2 are action RPGs and I enjoy both of those a lot. There's a mod for the second one called "The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod" that you should really install if you play KotOR 2, it restores a lot of content that was cut for the final release.

It's more for mature audiences, but Diablo 2 with its expansion is one of my favorite RPGs ever and basically spawned a whole genre of similar games. If you're just going to be playing it single player, there's a mod called PlugY that adds a bunch of nice features.

I'd recommend TES/Fallout, but it requires a bit of modding knowledge to play them without issue in my opinion. I have experience with that and if you're interested in knowing more, hit me up. Fallout: New Vegas is one of my favorite games ever.

I made it halfway through Mother 3, but never finished it. It's one of the games I want to show him most, and it'll give me the incentive to complete it

I've never played Golden Sun, but I'm willing to try it

Also, I'm not sure if I can show him a game like diablo

I do have Fallout 3, but never got around to playing it

Last edited:
Years
I made it halfway through Mother 3, but never finished it. It's one of the games I want to show him most, and it'll give me the incentive to complete it

I've never played Golden Sun, but I'm willing to try it

Also, I'm not sure if I can show him a game like diablo

I do have Fallout 3, but never got around to playing it

Well, there's a Diablo alternative called Torchlight. Top-down simple-ish RPG. Complications in Torchlight are only in builds; though in how you want to play? You can go all out in anyway you want.

Pick a spell caster, get a skill tree for specializing in spells, but put a few points in strength to wield around a sword and hack n' slash your foes. Be a theif and learn 2 or 3 real spells to set you foes on fire.

There are near-endless dungeons to explore, near-endless mods to improve the game, add dungeons or other weapons.

Want to Co-Op? Torchlight 2 supports it fully with the same mechanics of be whatever you want to be, weapons and spells are not restricted to your class like in Diablo so you can go nuts. Awesome game for all ages.... near all ages.... beat up monsters and loot their bodies.

Torchlight still not ya thing? Dungeon Siege is still a good game to play; I mean it's not kid friendly, but by today's standards, it's not as evil or graphic or bloody as the current Diablo and it has simple mechanics and the old modding community has changed the game a ton before it died off with miniguns and other odd weaponry; it's co-op to boot as well for an old PC game.

You can pick up all of these off Gog.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
He decided on Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 1) after he saw it on my wii. I never finished it myself because it's grindy...but we'll try it anyways

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
He decided on Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 1) after he saw it on my wii. I never finished it myself because it's grindy...but we'll try it anyways

I am a big fan of Mother, but there's definitely a ton of grinding, early difficulty, and not knowing where to go most of the time, lol. I suggest using a guide to avoid walking in circles.

On the flip side, I love the music, the unique setting (at the time), and the story, however minimal it might be.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I am a big fan of Mother, but there's definitely a ton of grinding, early difficulty, and not knowing where to go most of the time, lol. I suggest using a guide to avoid walking in circles.

On the flip side, I love the music, the unique setting (at the time), and the story, however minimal it might be.

I think I'll play through it first on my own, with a guide. I've never gotten past the cemetery.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
What makes it a spiritual successor? Wasn?t Chrono Cross a sequel to it?
Chrono Cross was the official sequel, but feels more like it would have done better without that fact. Radiant Historia has nothing to do with the world of Chrono Trigger, but brings in a ton of atmosphere and most importantly an implementation of the time travel mechanic much in a way Chrono Trigger did.

When you talk with people who played these games, you often hear them say that Radiant Historia feels more of a sequel to Chrono Trigger that Cross. But since it isn't people just refer to it as a spiritual successor.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
He said he wants to play Earthbound beginnings, so I'm going to start it myself

Thanks for every suggestion!^_^

Last edited:
Back