• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you think HGSS lived up to the reputations of GSC?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
HGSS are my favourite series of Pokemon games, so I do think that they lived up to the reputation of the originals. If anything, they surpassed the originals with their bulk of new features and updates that come with being on a DS instead of a Game Boy. I've always thought that the storyline was the most coherent and least bombastic, and graphics are really good, and the gameplay is the best out of all of the games. And even though I'd essentially played these games before, playing the remakes didn't feel redundant at any stretch of the game.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I loved the games and felt they were even better than FireRed/LeafGreen as far as remakes go. They really took a classic Pokemon game and made it new. I really enjoyed playing and definately would play through again, so yes Id say it lives up to G/S/C's reputation.

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
Oh, I loved HG/SS! I think Gamefreak did a great job on them. The one thing that bugged me about them (the same thing that I'm sure bothered everyone else) was that they made an entirely new female player character instead of bringing the female character back from Crystal. The female pc from Crystal is one of my all-time favorites and I was really upset to see a new character in her place.

Buuuuut on the bright side, I absolutely loved how Ecruteak City was redone. And Azalea Town and Goldenrod City and GAH ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING OKAY. I also loved the remixes of the old themes and the inclusion of the GB Player. That was a fantastic touch, that was.

Well at least she is not as annoying as the friends in B/W are... Bianca is cute but it gets old fast (for me).

Ultimate Uchiha

Switchin' It Up
Years
Well I don't think the HG/SS soundtrack lived up to the original but, I guess that's why they made the GB Sounds thing. Other than that, they were everything I always hoped the GSC remakes would be.

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2013
I used to play the original silver version back when it came out in 2000 I was 5 at the time it was my favorite Pokemon game still is today I remember I used to play for hours just to get to Lugia I trained it to lv 82 last thing I recall doing was getting the rainbow wing in the Kanto region then I lost the game :( never found it probably still in the house somewhere anyway fast forward to 2010 I was so happy to hear that they were remaking the games for the ds I of course bought both hg and ss I love both games I think there far better than the originals the graphics are a lot better than they were 10 years ago the new features such as the touch screen and auto running are great like that I no longer have to hold down the b button to run (That feature should be added to bw) gamefreak did a great job and I hope that later on they'll also remake ruby and sapphire for the ds if they do I'll definitely be buying them.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
I actually hated HG/SS. I ended up quitting them because I got frustrated. Right now I'm playing Silver and I can't help but thinking it's so much better than the remakes.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
They should of sorted out the level curve in HG/SS by blocking off that route to M town until after you beat the Olivine leader :)

ForgottenT

Legendary Trainer
Years
I love the remake, right now I´m just about to fight elite four.
but one thing that I don´t like is that they changed the game place in golden rood before there were funny mini games where you could get good prices not it´s ****, anything else, is done REALLY good and I actually like the remake much more, and they did a GREAT job at keeping the nostalgic feeling :)
5/5

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
I've always said that HG/SS are the best Pokemon games made to date, and for good reason. They took (arguably) the best Pokemon games and remastered them amazingly, then added something more to these games to give them a fresh, new appeal. Some of the changes were annoying, such what appeared to be a last-minute inclusion of the Ho-oh/Lugia battles. Otherwise, I really loved playing HG/SS and I'd even say that these games not only lived up to the reputations of GSC, but far exceeded them. They are better games in almost every way. Sure, they can never match the nostalgia factor that GSC retains, but in every other aspect, HG/SS is the best Pokemon RPG to date.

Patchy

-
Years
If I'm honest I never actually liked GSC...if I ever felt the need to play an older game around the time of RSE I just went with Red usually. I did play GSC all the way through when I got them, and I did get all 3, but it was only later I sort of looked at them and something about them really didn't appeal to me - it didn't seem like a Pokemon game, I dunno...but HGSS were amazing! I think my favourite part was the Pokemon following you around, I wish they wouldn't remove that haha.

I also loved the new sprites - one that always stands out is Mew, I loved its Gen III sprite but hated its DPPt one. They made a nice one in HGSS and went backwards in Black. :(

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
HG/SS is easily the best Pokemon game I've ever played. I liked G/S/C but they completely made this game 10000 times better. This is also the only game where I've completed the entire Pokedex and my trainer card has 4 stars. (Battle Frontier just isn't my thing)

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
Personally I think HG and SS have been developed gladly, they really strove to make it. I mean they were not like "Oh! Another Pokémon game, let's make it and sell it." They made it thinking about the past successful versions G/S/C so they knew if they tried, they would probably succeed as they did previously with G/S/C.
You just have to check how many new and cool feautures (besides the well-done remake of the games) they added: Pokéwalker, Pokémon following you or the possibility of listening to the old theme music.
So, in my opinion, this is a great remake and a great game, which I can't compare to any previous game (not even to B/W) of the franchise. They have everything we liked from G/S/C plus the new features.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
HGSS lived up to GSC's reputations. They polished a lot of the game and made it a thousand times cooler. It's easily one of my all time favourite games.

Turbo_Dee

DisrespectDead
Years
This is an odd one for me.

I imported Gold and Silver from the States as soon as they were out, essentially 6 months before they were out in the UK (seems ridiculous doesn't it). Anyway, I came home from school on the Friday to be presented them by my Mummy and had the whole weekend to experience the first NEW generation which in a lot of ways to a kid like me was more exciting than Gen I itself. I was going to a new region to discover new Pokémon... DAY AND NIGHT PASSED LIKE IN REAL LIFE! And I could breed my Pokémon. And I could finally get Togepi and Marill in a game! New gyms! 16 gyms! I pulled my first ever all-nighter playing Gold. My mum would probably still kill me today if she realised! :P

So the nostalgia factor was pretty huge when I heard HGSS were coming. And yup, they looked great in the pre-release screenshots. I was finally going back to Johto!

I got there and I realised it just wasn't as interesting as it had been back then. I clocked up hundreds of hours on both Gold and Silver, and then even more on Crystal when it came out. Playing SoulSilver, I realised Johto was a bit small... and the story wasn't so great. And going back to Kanto?? Meh. It was over in a flash - the gyms really needed some sort of level scaling up. Plus I'd already had my fill of the Gen IV mechanics through playing Pearl and Platinum fiercely. And Sinnoh actually stands up as a more interesting region to me.

Still, there was a lot of nostalgia to be gleaned from playing, and the post game features were exceptional. But it never quite matched the feeling of playing the original Gold and Silver as that 10 year old. So in some ways the flaws of Johto and Kanto soiled that for me.

HGSS fell short of expectations in many ways, but it was still a treat to relive those countless hours I invested in catching 250 Pokémon (never got Celebi!) back in the day, the visuals were nice, the post game experience was brilliant and the games fit very well into Gen IV.

I think this is an excellent depiction for just how much nostalgia really means, when it comes to games, tv programmes, films and so on.

I was relatively late in proclaiming my love for Pokemon, I never actually played any of the first two generations when they came out at all. At the time, I probably didn't even know they existed. I was more of a passive fan to the anime and TCG, really. My first ever Pokemon game was LeafGreen, although I had briefly watched my friend playing Sapphire and thinking that it was everything I looked for in a game. I, almost literally, worshipped those games. I had clocked over 400 hours since the last time I've played, and I had done everything there was to do several times. I never grew bored and I was just as excited at the 300th hour mark as I was when I chose Charmander as my starter. Compare this to HeartGold, in which my time stands at fifty hours or so and with a large number of Pokemon to catch and trainers to beat. This was my first time playing through the Johto region, and I even got to go to the Kanto region, although in truth, they could've done a lot more with Kanto. Everything was new and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it didn't have the effect on me that my first Pokemon game did. Nostalgia is a truly powerful feeling, particularly as our childhood can be the happiest and most care free of times.

Anyway, that's enough from me. The things I liked about the remakes were the culture of the region. It had a distinctly more 'oriental' feel to it. The Johto region really was like Japan to me, with the soundtrack and locations in the game. This really appealed to me. I also have to complement the looks of the game, definitely a contender for the most beautiful Pokemon game. The story was enjoyable, and was certainly more like a realistic criminal organisation. Although, I probably prefer the far fetched criminal ideals.

But, despite all those great things I never enjoyed these games as much as some of the others. I can't really name many things in particular I didn't like, but the other games just gripped me more I guess. Maybe it's because I didn't have the nostalgia factor when playing through this game. I certainly think a remake of the Hoenn games would have me as giddy as a schoolgirl!

Pokemon_Trainer_Danny

Slateport resident
Years
I was sceptic towards the remakes. I'm sceptic towards most remakes, because of my bad experience with them. Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories (entirely different game, but stay with me) was horrible, imo. It took most of the magic from the original GBA version away for me. I can't quite explain it, but it did.

Most remakes sort of spoil the original games for me...

HeartGold and SoulSilver though... congrats, Game Freak. They managed to re-make the Gold/Silver/Crystal games I loved most in the Pokémon series, but combined it with something new. I approve of the remake, but just this once. I stand by my opinion though, I despise remakes of timeless classics.

Last edited:
Years
I was very happy with how Fire Red/Leaf Green turned out (aside from there not being much to do post-game), so I had high expectations of HeartGold/SoulSilver going in, and they didn't disappoint. Things like the new Safari Zone, the inclusion of the Battle Frontier and the Pokeathlon just gave us that much more to do on top of what there already was from the originals.

The only small thing that I believe was a downgrade was having Voltorb Flip instead of the original Game Corners. I understand the reasoning behind it, but now we couldn't even buy coins if we wanted any of the prizes, which was annoying (but I loved the remix to the Game Corner music, so it made playing it much more tolerable).

DjKniteX

A trainer that is a musician
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 13, 2023
I would say that the HG/SS series are my favorite series up to date being so close/similar/more updated of the original. I'd say they did a good job putting this one together. It's nice, smooth, and it has a lot of replay value.

Back