• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: The Everyday Legends

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I'd like to write an article on non-legendary Pokemon that are based on Japanese (and non-Japanese!) legends, to explore the mythology behind some of the Pokemon, how the myths and legends have influenced the Pokemon (design, dex entries, ability, moves, etc).

Some of the Pokemon and the legends/myths they're based on that I'd like to explore are:
- Dunsparce (Tsuchinoko)
- Mawile (Futakuchi-onna)
- Shiftry (Tengu)
- Frosslass (Yuki-onna)
and I'm sure there are more cool ones that I've missed.

I'd like to completely focus on non-legendary Pokemon since I don't feel they get enough spotlight and there's not enough attention on what a lot of them are based on, so a lot of the really cool Pokemon just get dismissed without even being thought about.

I'm not sure if this will be better in a series (with each article focusing on a different Pokemon and its respective legend, which would allow me to go really in-depth on the myth and do some cool research) or whether it would be best to write this as one article with small sections on a few different Pokemon, or meet somewhere in the middle.

Either way, definitely keen to embark on some of my own research to learn about the myths and legends behind some of these Pokemon, and retell those stories and look at the influences the myths have had on the creation of these Pokemon.

Years
I think this sounds great, kind of similar to the bulbapedia series about the origins of pokemon. I think you could probably look into Arcanine and Magikarp/Gyarados too. The latter is definitely based on a legend.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
This is such a great idea! I know that I've been surprised that there's been "legendary" connections to Pokemon that I didn't think had them.

There's probably enough different Pokemon that this could become a series under the title of "The Everyday Legendaries." Having each Pokemon be their own article also means that you can go more in-depth without the article getting massive.

Charlie Brown

Years
I think this sounds great, kind of similar to the bulbapedia series about the origins of pokemon. I think you could probably look into Arcanine and Magikarp/Gyarados too. The latter is definitely based on a legend.

Ooo wasn't aware about Arcanine, will look into it! And yep Magikarp/Gyarados for sure (Y) Thanks GP!

This is such a great idea! I know that I've been surprised that there's been "legendary" connections to Pokemon that I didn't think had them.

There's probably enough different Pokemon that this could become a series under the title of "The Everyday Legendaries." Having each Pokemon be their own article also means that you can go more in-depth without the article getting massive.

Thanks Astinus! Yeah I think a series would be good, would give me a better opportunity to go in-depth rather than just have it skim the surface.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I like the idea!

I wonder if this can even extend to 'milder' myths, like e.g. the basis of Klefki.

Seconding the Gyarados one. It also helps explain its typing!

I like 'The Everyday Legendaries'.

What Pokemon would you do the first article on?

Charlie Brown

Years
The Everyday Legendaries sounds good (Y) I'd like to start with one on Dunsparce - would you like me to post up a separate thread with that proposal?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Up to you, but if you want you can just stick to this thread to detail more about Dunsparce's article/rough plan for outline/structure, etc. Any other articles can have their own threads instead however.

Charlie Brown

Years
Ok nws! And sorry for late reply.

Structure:

- The Tsuchinoko in Japanese legends: what it looks like, what it does, stories about it, what it symbolises, etc (I haven't done the research either)
- Influences on Dunsparce: how the legend comes alive in the Pokemon through its design, dex entries, moves, etc

Will chuck in a few images of the tsuchinoko and of Dunsparce for comparison.

It's a pretty basic structure, just want to explore the legend more and how it comes alive in the Pokemon. Not too sure what else to say at this point!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Consider it greenlit! (Series and first article). Copying that post into a new thread in workshop section after I post this!

Charlie Brown

Years
Giving this a sneaky bump - researching the Yuki-onna legend for Froslass atm. Would like to do another Johto Pok?mon to be published in September to go along with the GS re-release if anyone has any ideas on other Pok?mon to cover from Johto

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Giving this a sneaky bump - researching the Yuki-onna legend for Froslass atm. Would like to do another Johto Pok?mon to be published in September to go along with the GS re-release if anyone has any ideas on other Pok?mon to cover from Johto
Misdreavus comes to mind. Mareep maybe too given Ampharos' mega evolution. Wobbuffet has an amusing origin but it's not a legendary one, haha.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Giving this a sneaky bump - researching the Yuki-onna legend for Froslass atm. Would like to do another Johto Pokémon to be published in September to go along with the GS re-release if anyone has any ideas on other Pokémon to cover from Johto
Bump - how are these going? beep

Last edited:

Ida13

Gone For a While
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 6, 2017
Ninetales; Kitsune
Umbreon; black Shuck
Houndoom; hellhound
Espeon; nekomata
Vaporeon; aziwugum
Those are some you missed.
But just about every pokemon is based on a mythology, but it takes a while to discover their origins. There are some in particular though that stand out, more so than the legendaries sometimes.

Back