• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
-says hello to Manip's little friend-

Cool new forum. Would things like Gary's Pikachu hack thing belong there?

Anyway, I'm sure it'll empty up PH and HS a little, eh?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
-says hello to Manip's little friend-

Cool new forum. Would things like Gary's Pikachu hack thing belong there?

Anyway, I'm sure it'll empty up PH and HS a little, eh?

No, Gary's Pikachu hack is a super-serious hack of awesome!!!!!!!!1111111 what are you talking about!!!!!!!!!111111111

and no, it won't nobody reads these days. D:

Years
No, Gary's Pikachu hack is a super-serious hack of awesome!!!!!!!!1111111 what are you talking about!!!!!!!!!111111111

and no, it won't nobody reads these days. D:

o sos i forgot i though the secion was 4 supa sik hacks!!!! ;)

You're probably right, but, eh.

What about X versions of hacks (made by people that aren't the original authors, but have permission)?

Surf

Years
  • Age 29
  • Rust
  • Seen Jul 31, 2011
Hey, did anyone ever work out a Take Pokemon script?
I don't think I saw the end of that one.

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
I've got a question. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find a better place.

Say I want to start a new hack right now. Which Rom Base do you prefer?

I personally would say Emerald - Battle Frontier, animated sprites, more advanced double battling style..

What's your advise? Is it for example better for me to start with hacking Fire Red?

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I've got a question. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find a better place.

Say I want to start a new hack right now. Which Rom Base do you prefer?

I personally would say Emerald - Battle Frontier, animated sprites, more advanced double battling style..

What's your advise? Is it for example better for me to start with hacking Fire Red?
I've worked with most except for Emerald and I've come to conclusion that they all have their ups and downs. You might want to experiment with all of them until you find one that suites you best; and you're more accustomed to. I can't say that it's best you start out with Firered. It's just a matter of opinion. If you want to go with Emerald, then go for it. ;D

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
I've worked with most except for Emerald and I've come to conclusion that they all have their ups and downs. You might want to experiment with all of them until you find one that suites you best; and you're more accustomed to. I can't say that it's best you start out with Firered. It's just a matter of opinion. If you want to go with Emerald, then go for it. ;D

Alright, sounds like some good advise!

I think I'll try Emerald in that case; I love the way the 'two-side / two-way' Double Battles work. I like the moving sprites as well, it gives the game a nice touch.

Does somebody have concrete differences or difficulties between hacking Emerald and FireRed?

PureGoober

Minecrafter
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 9, 2014
Would you play a hack that has miniscule mapping and no scripting done to it?

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
Would you play a hack that has miniscule mapping and no scripting done to it?

Probably not.
If you're just starting out then just mess about with tools for a while until you get the hang of it, then move one up and start learning to script with XSE, then try messing about with a hex editor, then ASM and stuff, but never, NEVER, rush into a hack. I've seen so many people do this and it always ended up bad. There are tutorials in the appropriate section for starting out.

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016

Probably not.
If you're just starting out then just mess about with tools for a while until you get the hang of it, then move one up and start learning to script with XSE, then try messing about with a hex editor, then ASM and stuff, but never, NEVER, rush into a hack. I've seen so many people do this and it always ended up bad. There are tutorials in the appropriate section for starting out.

I'd pretty much agree with that. Though for a first hack, you might want to do a "mini-project" kinda thing with the new Sub forum. I mean since it's there you might as well use it for something small. Back on topic, I wouldn't rush a hack, it's just lame and people make look down on you if your hack's full of errors. So my answer would be no, I wouldn't play a hack without scripts and minuscule mapping. It's just not worth the time. On the other hand I don't even play other people's hacks (I've only played shiny gold D: )

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Well, branching off of this, What if I was to make a mini-hack, kinda like a tech demo? A shortened version of a game?

I guess I'd depend on what the mini hack was about, if it was just minor text edits and maps, with a poor story/purpose, then no. I'd guess it'd have to be a good idea for someone to actually play. What do you have in mind?

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Like some basic scripts, a set of new maps, maybe a gym leader, some easter eggs, whatnot. Not a minor edit, but new maps and all. A miniature version of a full hack. It would take a few hours to play, and there would be hidden extras.

Basic scripts? As in simple talking or is there more?

I might play it if the playability of the maps and the hidden extras make up for the scripting. Though you should take the extra effort to actually learn more about scripting, before attempting this.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Like some basic scripts, a set of new maps, maybe a gym leader, some easter eggs, whatnot. Not a minor edit, but new maps and all. A miniature version of a full hack. It would take a few hours to play, and there would be hidden extras.
To be honest, I wouldn't play this hack. Imo, mini-projects shouldn't be 'mini-gym-leader-based-hacks'. But other stuff. I would like to see a Rocket Hack as a mini project, because if it's like that, you can concentrate a lot more on all kinds of stuff, instead of just expanding and expanding over a region.

Years
I'd like to see an adaptation of one of the games in another region. For example, everything that happens in Ruby, just in Kanto (obviously with some things changed - perhaps Team Magma are at Mt. Ember instead. XD) That'd be a cool mini-project or something.

Also, has anyone managed to insert new tiles with separate animations in FireRed. I heard it was possible, and I know colcol posted something regarding it in Emerald, but it'd be interesting to see (I believe Sienna has done it, but I'm not sure).

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
I'd like to see an adaptation of one of the games in another region. For example, everything that happens in Ruby, just in Kanto (obviously with some things changed - perhaps Team Magma are at Mt. Ember instead. XD) That'd be a cool mini-project or something.

Also, has anyone managed to insert new tiles with separate animations in FireRed. I heard it was possible, and I know colcol posted something regarding it in Emerald, but it'd be interesting to see (I believe Sienna has done it, but I'm not sure).

LU-HO made a tool for it at WAH

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Yeah; unfortunately he did. Takes away what could have been a unique feature in some hacks.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
uhm, yeah, that's great. I can make one of those too. Sounds mighty fishy to me, tbh. Can't be OPENED?

...what's its size, by the way? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back