• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Building a desktop!

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I was thinking about this option a few days ago, because my main laptop is dying at this point. I don't feel like buying a new laptop/PC anymore and I think there are more benefits to building one on your own. Plus it sounds really interesting. Only downside is the costs and I've yet to get a proper monthly salary...

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I was thinking about this option a few days ago, because my main laptop is dying at this point. I don't feel like buying a new laptop/PC anymore and I think there are more benefits to building one on your own. Plus it sounds really interesting. Only downside is the costs and I've yet to get a proper monthly salary...

Building a desktop is cheaper usually once you get out of the bottom barrel even after factoring in the possible cost of Windows (which is pretty much necessary to not waste your video card performance at a minimum).

You should also be able to get better warranty terms for most components you get in there, and you will only need to send in the defective parts instead of the whole thing if something fails, knock on wood.

If you are in a tight budget and need a new computer build, I suggest skipping the SSD, not buying a video card for the time being, and using an i3 CPU. This should make things much cheaper to start with, and the i3 will carry you for a while.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Building a desktop is cheaper usually once you get out of the bottom barrel even after factoring in the possible cost of Windows (which is pretty much necessary to not waste your video card performance at a minimum).

You should also be able to get better warranty terms for most components you get in there, and you will only need to send in the defective parts instead of the whole thing if something fails, knock on wood.

If you are in a tight budget and need a new computer build, I suggest skipping the SSD, not buying a video card for the time being, and using an i3 CPU. This should make things much cheaper to start with, and the i3 will carry you for a while.
Ah, thanks for the tips. :) I was wondering what stuff from my current laptop is still usable in the new PC, because I'm not really aware of what parts of the hardware are outdated and make my laptop close to dying.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Well looks like I'll be joining the PC building crew again. All I asked for Christmas from my family was a new door for my case, as the hinges snapped off(a $20 value) the case is perfectly fine otherwise. Instead I come home to a package of the exact size as the box my case came in (a $150 value) gdi I didn't want to spend my Christmas reassembling my PC just for a door.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Ah, thanks for the tips. :) I was wondering what stuff from my current laptop is still usable in the new PC, because I'm not really aware of what parts of the hardware are outdated and make my laptop close to dying.

Pretty much nothing outside of maybe your storage drive if it's not soldered in. Desktops used completely different parts.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021

Seems pretty sensible! I think you'll be happy with it. If I were you I'd probably spend the $100 and get an i7, though. Video games are finally getting to the point where an i5 might bottleneck video cards, though I think realistically that's going to be very rare with the 1060. Just my opinion :)

I kind of wish I could go back in time and got an i7-4790K now.

Years
Seems pretty sensible! I think you'll be happy with it. If I were you I'd probably spend the $100 and get an i7, though. Video games are finally getting to the point where an i5 might bottleneck video cards, though I think realistically that's going to be very rare with the 1060. Just my opinion :)

I kind of wish I could go back in time and got an i7-4790K now.
I'll steal your words and mention that there's always room for upgrades!

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Thanks for the info guys. :) I'm gonna read into some other things before I decide whether to tackle building a PC.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I used to build one for the lesson of building PC that I used to attend, even though I didn't give this a chance to make a new PC as of yet. But then, I'm looking forward to the moment when I gathered enough components for me to build PC with, even though the PC spec I'm hoping to make is tad bit advanced and probs expensive.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Best wishes first of all! I'm back here with a minor dilemma.

In September I will most likely be moving to Spain for 6 months for college, and I'm not sure if I should invest in a desktop right now if I might only be done building in May/June (due to the costs) and can't take it with me. I do have this notebook I will be taking, and I can use it for about 70% of the stuff I can do, but it leaves me thinking whether I should pursue building a PC or get a new laptop after all (building/buying idk) to take with me. I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts on this.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
I'm thinking of buying a new GPU for my PC in the £100-£120 price range, and ideas? I'm currently looking at the 1050 vs the 1050ti.

Back