• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Dawn in BW anime

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Misty had a goal but it was never something focused on in the anime. Dawn was more than just attitude personified she actually was part of the story and her goals were a real part of the anime and something that was seriously focused on, there was very clear improvement in her abilities for example.

Whilst I would like to see her introduced back into the anime permanently (she would have been an interesting contrast to Iris) there is nothing for her in Unova since pokemon fashion and contests aren't that big there. So unfortunately I'd say she will be leaving soon after this tournament thing finishes (I however will have something to look forward to cause I'm a long way off of there atm).

Ash's goal wasn't truly focused on, either, and this is in spite of his main character status. Heck, we still don't even know what a Pokemon Master is, and any time they come close to giving us one definition, they contradict themselves later on. It's not truly focused on if they don't even bother defining it. Probably the closest they've ever gotten to actually DEFINING/focusing (they're basically two sides of the same coin) on a goal was with the Contests and Brock's breeder goal, and even the latter was only because of the breeding concept in the games which some claim is not actually the same as in the Anime. If we're going to focus on defining goals, then May and Dawn were the stars of the show and not Ash, and Ash was never the main character in the first place, just from that alone.

Anyways, the one person I'd want to return is Misty, and given what Black and White 2 has with the gym tournament arc, something that's strongly implied to be the focal point of the recent showing, and with Misty's appearance in that arc in the games, there is absolutely NO excuse for not having Misty appear. Since the Anime supposedly wants to advertize the games now, and Misty is in Black and White 2 for a gym tournament, that would be a perfect opportunity for the writers, a literal win-win situation for them: 1. It would acknowledge that she does exist to the fanbase, and also make the Misty fans happy, and 2. it would also work under an advertizing premise, since they'd be at the same time focusing on something that actually HAPPENED in the games per their current quota. It's not a coincidence that ratings actually boosted due to Misty reappearing in AG.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Misty doesn't reappear though. The Junior Tournament is over and Ash is now making his way to the Unova League, though now they are moving into the Meloetta and Team Rocket Arc.

Spoiler:

The anime has always advertised the games. It never stopped advertising them. That's the point of them always putting new Pokemon into it or forcing Character Cameos from the games just to showcase them.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Misty doesn't reappear though. The Junior Tournament is over and Ash is now making his way to the Unova League, though now they are moving into the Meloetta and Team Rocket Arc.

Spoiler:

The anime has always advertised the games. It never stopped advertising them. That's the point of them always putting new Pokemon into it or forcing Character Cameos from the games just to showcase them.

I don't recall the Island of the Giant Pokemon and several other locations in the Anime being in the games, and I certainly don't ever recall Mewtwo being owned by Giovanni or the St. Anne ever sinking in the games, so to call the first season an "advertisement" is disengenuous.

And as I said, they really don't have any excuse for not bringing Misty back, especially seeing how Misty actually APPEARS in the tournament in the games that arc focused on. Had I been them, I'd make absolute certain they bring Misty and Brock back temporarily just as Dawn had specifically for the gym tournament for reasons that are definitely closer to advertisement purposes, since they actually appeared in the games. If you wish to advertise the games, make sure they're as close to the games as possible, I say.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't recall the Island of the Giant Pokemon and several other locations in the Anime being in the games, and I certainly don't ever recall Mewtwo being owned by Giovanni or the St. Anne ever sinking in the games, so to call the first season an "advertisement" is disengenuous.

And as I said, they really don't have any excuse for not bringing Misty back, especially seeing how Misty actually APPEARS in the tournament in the games that arc focused on. Had I been them, I'd make absolute certain they bring Misty and Brock back temporarily just as Dawn had specifically for the gym tournament for reasons that are definitely closer to advertisement purposes, since they actually appeared in the games. If you wish to advertise the games, make sure they're as close to the games as possible, I say.

They don't have that Tournament in the show though.

And while those specific instances weren't part of the game the Anime was originally made to advertise the games. You cannot say that sneaking Marill into the Orange Islands before the Johto Games were released wasn't marketing. Or May getting a Munchlax. Or Lyra's appearance in Sinnoh. The Anime promotes the games here and there. That's what its supposed to do.

Story wise, the anime does not have to follow the games at all. Unova is no exception. If it were to follow the games, they wouldn't have gone to eastern Unova nor would Ash have battled Roxie for his final badge.

The Female Protags of the past usually make Cameos in the next season. Dawn just helped push this fact. Her part is done now though and that's it for the cameos as they are starting a different arc as well as pushing the story along to its finish.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Good lord, why would anyone bring up Misty? There was never anything indicating she would appear in BW2 and she didn't even appear over the entire span of DP.

The writers haven't given Misty a cameo in 7 years since 2005 (when she appeared after the Hoenn league), and she's very likely not going to appear in BW2 at all.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
Years
If Dawn comes back I will most Def watch the anime again. I don't know why but I haven't been able to get back into the anime since they have change Team Rocket so maybe this could be the thing to bring me back to it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Good lord, why would anyone bring up Misty? There was never anything indicating she would appear in BW2 and she didn't even appear over the entire span of DP.

The writers haven't given Misty a cameo in 7 years since 2005 (when she appeared after the Hoenn league), and she's very likely not going to appear in BW2 at all.

Maybe because of this, as well as a reference to the Pokemon tournament appearing in the episodes of Dawn's reappearance?

http://serebii.net/black2white2/worldtournament.shtml

As for how exactly this ties in with Misty? Same reason why it would tie in with Brock, because they're actually IN that tournament in the games.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
The world tournament in the anime already ended. No old Gym leaders were there.

Why the hell do you keep talking as if the episodes haven't aired already?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I haven't seen the episodes, but I knew they were going to bring Dawn back for a mini arc. It's become a tradition since they got rid of Misty, but I'm surprised that she got so many compared to the other two and gives off the impression of favortism that I know would rub a lot of people the wrong way. I know on TV Tropes(I don't have an account there, I just read the pages to see what's happening with shows and/or fanbases without getting involved in the "bloodshed") there are already people wanting to accuse Dawn(and Iris) of being a "Wesley Crusher" type of character(google Star Trek: The Next Generation if you're confused on who I'm talking about).

And, for the record, despite how that sounded I do like Dawn and feel she had a lot of wasted potential(same thing with Misty). She reminds me a lot of Minako Aino from Sailor Moon who is one of my favorite characters.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I haven't seen the episodes, but I knew they were going to bring Dawn back for a mini arc. It's become a tradition since they got rid of Misty, but I'm surprised that she got so many compared to the other two and gives off the impression of favortism that I know would rub a lot of people the wrong way. I know on TV Tropes(I don't have an account there, I just read the pages to see what's happening with shows and/or fanbases without getting involved in the "bloodshed") there are already people wanting to accuse Dawn(and Iris) of being a "Wesley Crusher" type of character(google Star Trek: The Next Generation if you're confused on who I'm talking about).

Dawn only stayed for 7 episodes, which is only a few more than the past girls got. Remember, Piplup is highly marketable in Japan, its the popularity of the pokemon more than Dawn herself which is why she stayed slightly longer.

Overall I feel she had the worst cameo of the 3, if only because she really didn't do much upon her return and lost early in the tournament. She was basically treated poorly in order for the writers to glorify Iris and her Dragonite.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
Dawn only stayed for 7 episodes, which is only a few more than the past girls got. Remember, Piplup is highly marketable in Japan, its the popularity of the pokemon more than Dawn herself which is why she stayed slightly longer.

Overall I feel she had the worst cameo of the 3, if only because she really didn't do much upon her return and lost early in the tournament. She was basically treated poorly in order for the writers to glorify Iris and her Dragonite.

I was really talking more in the context of others reactions I've seen towards Dawn's return on TV Tropes(really, that place is getting more and more unreasonable and elitist. I'm on the verge of wanting to stop going there). I personally didn't see a big deal other that the surprise I mentioned at how she had more episodes(from what I've read and what little I've seen, the B/W anime is becoming more unpredictable than D/P was).

I knew Piplup was more popular in Japan, but that I didn't know that much at the expense of Dawn's character(she really is becoming a female Ash).

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I was really talking more in the context of others reactions I've seen towards Dawn's return on TV Tropes(really, that place is getting more and more unreasonable and elitist. I'm on the verge of wanting to stop going there).
I knew Piplup was more popular in Japan, but that I didn't know that much at the expense of Dawn's character(she really is becoming a female Ash).

Dawn was designed to be a female take on Ash for little 8 year old girls. Some kids grew up watching DP as their first saga, and that's who the writers aimed Dawn at...not older fans. She basically had a similar type of personality as Ash did, just with a bunch of girliness and a love for fashion.

The other girls were designed to have more of a dynamic among the main cast and their own storylines. The writers obviously wanted to try something different with Dawn, but after that they went back to the usual group dynamic routine as seen with Ash/Iris/Cilan.

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
It's been fun watching Hikari interact with Satoshi again... and she gets along very amusingly with Iris. You've GOT to see the scene where Iris tries to teach Hikari to swing from a vine... xDDD

Oh my god, I have to see that. What episode was that in?

Anyway, more on topic, I had no idea Hikari was in Black and White. Then again, I haven't seen any episodes of B&W season 2, since I recently decided to watch the entire anime in Japanese, and I'm only on episode 9. I like Hikari, she's cool.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I think Dawn's just going to show up for a few episodes, then she'll just poof. Never to be seen again. I honestly love Dawn, as she's one of my favorite characters. I just wish she'll stay there permanently, or at least as long as Brock.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I hate that Dawn came back for like 10 episodes. She appears for the most amount of episodes during a comeback and I hope she disappears and is never again seen. She's the main reason I stopped watching Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2012
Her cameo was ruined by turning her into a rag doll for more iris glorification.

Back