• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leikaru

Back from the dead...
Years
Here's what I thought of the starters individually...

Chespin - looks okay I guess, could be a chipmunk with a chestnut hat or something? I don't love or hate it's design, I'm just curious to see what the rest of it's evolutions look like and what the hat thing could turn into. If the attacks it used were hints at it's final typing my guess would be Grass/Dark. Seemed like it first used Solarbeam and then Night Slash second, which is super effective against Golurk.

Fennekin - I like Fennekin a lot because I like fire types in general, but I found it to be a little repetitive of Vulpix. But it looks cool enough in it's first stage and I want to see where this fire fox design goes. Hopefully it doesn't look like any of the other fox pokemon. For the final typing I would guess Fire/Psychic, because it looked like it used Flamethrower and then Psybeam or Extrasensory.

Froakie - my favorite so far and the most interesting to me, I can't see why everyone is hating on it. I actually like it's design and it looked good in battle. Seemed like it had good speed, a trait I value. For the final typing I have two guesses: Water/Fighting and Water/Flying. I said fighting because it looked like a physical attacker when it was in battle judging by the second attack. As I thought of more possibilities, I came up with Water/Flying because of Froakie's design. It has what looks like a cape around it's neck or something that looks like a cloud. Maybe that could turn into a parachute or something? I looked it up and read about something called the Malabar Gliding Frog. It's a frog that jumps from high areas and glides to get where it needs to go, so I could see where a Flying type inspiration could come from. I couldn't figure out what the second attack was, but I thought it could possibly be Acrobatics, a flying type move. I'm hoping it does develop into a Water/Flying type, because there is already a fighting frog (Poliwrath), a poison frog (Toxicroak), and a ground frog (Seismitoad) so I think a flying frog would be cool.

Usually I go with the fire starter, but I would have to see their complete evolutions to really make a decision. Right now Froakie appeals the most to me but they all have potential. Can't wait to see their full evolutions though. I'm just hoping for some new type combos this time around, and Fennekin better not become a Fire/Fighting type somehow.

Chespin I think will stay Grass type all the way through. At least that's what the design looks like.

I think Fennekin will evolve into a psycho-fox or something, and be Fire/Psychic. That could be an interesting type.

Also, as for Froakie, I would go for a Water/Poison might happen. Some toads are poisonous. Or perhaps the Water/Fighting combonation. Although I think they will be looking for unique type combo's in Gen VI.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
Years
Here's what I thought of the starters individually...

Chespin - looks okay I guess, could be a chipmunk with a chestnut hat or something? I don't love or hate it's design, I'm just curious to see what the rest of it's evolutions look like and what the hat thing could turn into. If the attacks it used were hints at it's final typing my guess would be Grass/Dark. Seemed like it first used Solarbeam and then Night Slash second, which is super effective against Golurk.

Fennekin - I like Fennekin a lot because I like fire types in general, but I found it to be a little repetitive of Vulpix. But it looks cool enough in it's first stage and I want to see where this fire fox design goes. Hopefully it doesn't look like any of the other fox pokemon. For the final typing I would guess Fire/Psychic, because it looked like it used Flamethrower and then Psybeam or Extrasensory.

Froakie - my favorite so far and the most interesting to me, I can't see why everyone is hating on it. I actually like it's design and it looked good in battle. Seemed like it had good speed, a trait I value. For the final typing I have two guesses: Water/Fighting and Water/Flying. I said fighting because it looked like a physical attacker when it was in battle judging by the second attack. As I thought of more possibilities, I came up with Water/Flying because of Froakie's design. It has what looks like a cape around it's neck or something that looks like a cloud. Maybe that could turn into a parachute or something? I looked it up and read about something called the Malabar Gliding Frog. It's a frog that jumps from high areas and glides to get where it needs to go, so I could see where a Flying type inspiration could come from. I couldn't figure out what the second attack was, but I thought it could possibly be Acrobatics, a flying type move. I'm hoping it does develop into a Water/Flying type, because there is already a fighting frog (Poliwrath), a poison frog (Toxicroak), and a ground frog (Seismitoad) so I think a flying frog would be cool.

Usually I go with the fire starter, but I would have to see their complete evolutions to really make a decision. Right now Froakie appeals the most to me but they all have potential. Can't wait to see their full evolutions though. I'm just hoping for some new type combos this time around, and Fennekin better not become a Fire/Fighting type somehow.
I also considered a cloud frog for Froakie, like a frog meditating on a cloud. But Water/Fighting would make sense. Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting would balance out perfectly. Also, Froakie was fighting a Patrat in the video, maybe the move was supereffective?

Years
I guess I'm gonna be like most of the people in here and say that I like Fennekin the most. Froakie is...okay, I suppose, never really been big on any of the frog pokemon, and I'm not as sold on Chespin. Kinda meh to me. Fennekin, though...yeah, when I was looking through pics this morning, that was the first one that really caught my eye.

Or rather, its ear fur did. That ear fur, man. Yeah I know it's based off fennec foxes but still!

droomph

weeb
Years
No opinion one way or the other on any of them (I'll see! geesh) but I do have to say Froakie (I'll have to get used to that won't I) reminds me of keroppi.

Keroppi_by_drbalala.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 9, 2013
Is it just me, or does Chespin look like a re-textured Oshawott/Dewott?

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
Years
I really love Chespin and Fennekin. Froakie is already starting to grow on me but it's my least favorite.

I think Chespin is going to be my first pick when the games come out. ^_^

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
My favorite starter is the Fire-type, Fennekin. I really like it's design, and I like foxes. It's like a mix of Vulpix and Zorua. It's the first time that the Fire starter is my favorite since Charmander in Gen 1. I think the Water-type frog is just ok looking, but I do like it. However, I don't like the Grass-type. I think it looks boring, and looks like a Pokémon that would be catchable early in the game, like Patrat, ect. Fennekin might be my favorite Fire-type starter of any generation.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I actually like them all a lot, but I'm going to use Fennekin for my first walkthrough. On my other game, Froakie, who I think is quite adorable. I'll trade for a Chespin as well, just so I can have all three.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2013
I'm sure this has been said, but.
Fire/psychic, grass/fighting, water/dark. Who's with me? I mean, fennekin is almost guaranteed to be Fire/Psychic, and there's a LOT of people saying chespin will be grass/fighting. So, if we get a water/dark as well, they keep all their typed advances over each other in both main and secondary typing, it would also be pretty interesting to see a water/dark pokemon.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
it would also be pretty interesting to see a water/dark pokemon.
Uhh... Sharpedo?

In all seriousness, knowing I'd be tempted by the fire starter, I do hope it won't evolve into a Fire/Fighting type yet again.

Utzipher

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 4, 2014
I'm still indifferent about which starter to choose - maybe Froakie or Fennekin. I'll wait to see Froakie's final evolution before I make a decision on who to choose. The water type is my preferred choice.

I love the designs of them, but they're really starting to resemble Neopets.

Years
If Fennekin turns out to be a Fire/Psychic, I will love GameFreak forever

BTW I love how the little fire fox thing looks. Froakie is meh..only time where I don't really care for the water starter..and Chespin looks okay.

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
I love Froakie, he looks like a little conductor or something with his wig and glasses and gloves.

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013
If Fennekin turns out to be a Fire/Psychic, I will love GameFreak forever

BTW I love how the little fire fox thing looks. Froakie is meh..only time where I don't really care for the water starter..and Chespin looks okay.

I bet you more than anything that...

Chespin ends up being Grass/Ground

Fennekin ends up as Fire/Psychic (uses psychic attack in teaser?)

Froakie ends up as Water/Flying (because of the cloud-like features on the body; similar to Altaria)

Years
I bet you more than anything that...

Chespin ends up being Grass/Ground

Fennekin ends up as Fire/Psychic (uses psychic attack in teaser?)

Froakie ends up as Water/Flying (because of the cloud-like features on the body; similar to Altaria)

Why Grass/Ground for Chespin? The trailer made it look like it was using Night Slash on the Golurk, making it seem as if its going to be a Grass/Dark type (Shiftry, anyone?). And yeah I can see it being Psychic in the trailer...it could be some other new move though, we never know. It's just Fire/Psychic seems a bit OP, so for starter Pokemon I doubt they'll do that.

If Froakie is a Water/Flying, I'll probably never choose it lol.

latioslegends

What worries you masters you
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 4, 2019
Got to say, this roster of starters appeals more than last generations; but that's just my opinion.^^

I would have to choose Fennekin. The design is awesome and it appears to have ended the fire/fighting trend for the last three generations.

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2013
if chesspin turns into a chess piece (unlikely cause of pawniard line) ill pick him but otherwise fennikin all the way!

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013
Why Grass/Ground for Chespin? The trailer made it look like it was using Night Slash on the Golurk, making it seem as if its going to be a Grass/Dark type (Shiftry, anyone?). And yeah I can see it being Psychic in the trailer...it could be some other new move though, we never know. It's just Fire/Psychic seems a bit OP, so for starter Pokemon I doubt they'll do that.

If Froakie is a Water/Flying, I'll probably never choose it lol.

I can see Chespin being Grass/Dark now that you have pointed that out.

I just really hope the final evolutions look as good as these pre-evolution forms.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
In terms of design, Fennekin has the best one, with Chespin following close. I like Froakie simply because it's the Water starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back