• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did you find your Monkey useful?

Was your monkey useful

• Yes

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 68.6%

• Total voters

Sirfetch’d

We are use to having our rival use a Pokemon that is intentionaly strong to the Pokemon you select as a starter, but in B&W the first gym also changed depending on your starter. So in the Dream Yard you were given a Pansage, Panpour, or a Pansear. Did you find them useful?
Personally I didn't, but I got Pansear, the worst one move-wise. discuss...

Years
I enjoyed Panpour for a little while, Then she ended up being an HM slave for Surf, Dive, Waterfall and Cut...

I honestly thought she was very useful at first but things quickly began to over power the water monkey and when I ran into Darmunka... She was replaced immediately.

Years
I just used my pansear for a while then gave it the slip in nimbasa city.It had a new home in my pc

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
They gave my PC a reason to exist. So yes, they were useful.

Cyclone

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I use them for trading for better Pokémon in my other games. In past games I caught a bunch of pidgies, and traded those, but in these ones I just use monkeys and other first route Pokémon

I will never use them on my team those. I just dont like em

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
I used it for the first gym cuz it's near impossible to beat it without the monkey, then i kept it in my party until the 5 first gyms, then i boxed it.......

The whole time, i realized it was way inferior to my starter, my pidgeot copycat that i forgot the name of, and my throh. I got the water monkey, and it always got killed in 2 hits and barely did somewhere to 10-20 damage to everything. And there wasn't very many fire types the whole time i was playing white. And any time there was a fire type, my servine could even take down it's weak and often VERY weak defence.

Years
Not really. I got Pansage and I did use him for a while, but he got shoved into the PC when I caught Sewaddle and it became my main Grass/Bug Pokemon.

The same can be said for Panpour. I caught him in Pinwheel Forest and it was useful for a long time because I didn't have a good Water Pokemon and the Tympole I had before just sucked. But as soon as I transferred my Shiny Suicune from Pearl into the game, he was sent packing as well.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I used Panpour until I managed to replace him with a (great) Tympole. Nowadays, after beating the champion, he's my HM slave for Surf, Dive, Waterfall and Cut. So yes, he's very useful :D

Years
Only until I beat the first gym, but that did save me time that I would have had to use grinding so in that sense, yeah, it was useful. After that? Nope. Never used it again. I never really liked the monkeys. There was always something else I'd want to use more.

Years
In my first White playthrough, Pansage was quite useful, I suppose. I needed a grass type and he did all right. He was definitely useful in the earlier sections of the game, though I really didn't use him that much towards the end (if I recall, I boxed Simisage before the League, and he probably wouldn't have been all that useful anyway). He was... fine, but I guess the monkeys in general can't hack it when compared to some other Pokemon, so yeah.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I find them very useful in getting past the first gym as it's incredibly hard without them, but otherwise I just keep it in my PC haha. I don't like their design and I tried using one on my team once just out of curiosity (Simisear), and it was awful :p So they're useful right when you first get them, but otherwise I don't use them whatsoever.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm on the borderline here. In Black, I sent Pansear to the PC shortly before the Nacrene gym battle; Incinerate was just too weak for me to use. In White, Pansage turned out to be a tad useful, but I sent it to the PC when I got to Mistralton to avoid being burdened by a type disadvantage.

Years
I levelled my pansear/simisear to level 100 so you could probably call it useful. On the other hand it is outclassed by most of my other high-level pokemon. It was good enough to be on my team anyway but I won't use a monkey when I get B/W2.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I actually find them rather useful. They can learn a good variety of moves, and they look quite nice in those musical clothes. :)

Back