• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fandoms] Studio Ghibli ★ Where Imagination Comes Alive!

Ys

Wandering Spirit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
Name: Isa_theDT/Isabel
Favourite movie (and why): Spirited Away. I loved the characters. The music and scenes were beautiful and the story was very relateable.
Spoiler:

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
I hope it's okay for me to join even though I've only seen two Ghibli movies! ^^;

Name: Revise Librarian

Favourite movie (and why): Oooohhh... I don't want to pick between the two that I've seen! ;__; It's too tough of a choice, haha. But if I could only pick one favorite, Castle in the Sky would most likely win out for now. However, Spirited Away is an extreeeeemely close second! I think the main reason I'm so attached to Castle in the Sky is because of the circumstances in which I watched the movie! :o It's kinda hard to explain, but, umm... the day I watched Castle in the Sky also happened to be one of the most precious days I've ever lived. I'll never forget how it felt watching this movie with my special someone. <333 Witnessing Pazu and Sheeta's bond, cheering them on together, putting ourselves in their shoes, and admiring all of the scenery... it almost felt as if we were living within the movie ourselves. By the end of it all, it felt like our own bond had become even stronger than ever before! ^-^ My heart was squealing so intensely during the movie (and after it, too!!) that I'm sure it must have exploded multiple times over! In fact, I think I can still feel the effects of those explosions right now, ehehe. It was such a lovely, surreal experience, and I wish I could relive that day again and again! ❤

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Name: Isa_theDT/Isabel
Favourite movie (and why): Spirited Away. I loved the characters. The music and scenes were beautiful and the story was very relateable.
Spoiler:

Nice to meet you, Isebel! Welcome! :)

Are there any other Ghibli movies that you've seen? Although I can go on forever about Spirited Away, honestly! It is absolutely remarkable. No matter how many times I watch it, I feel as if I'm taking part in Chihiro's adventure! (And I must have watched it three times last year, at least, haha.)

I'm glad you came to the conclusion that Chihiro is not a Mary Sue type of character. :P Her development occurs within a short span of time, that's true. However, she grows significantly by the end of the movie, in comparison to the beginning where she's scared, whiny, incompetent etc. I say this with much affection of course. xD Admittedly, without Haku, she probably wouldn't have gotten very far! She just needed someone to believe in her and guide her along. So yes, she did have quite a lot of help, but any of us could do what Chihiro did. All it took was bravery, determination and a generous spirit! :)

It's the little details about her that I love!

I hope it's okay for me to join even though I've only seen two Ghibli movies! ^^;

Name: Revise Librarian

Favourite movie (and why): Oooohhh... I don't want to pick between the two that I've seen! ;__; It's too tough of a choice, haha. But if I could only pick one favorite, Castle in the Sky would most likely win out for now. However, Spirited Away is an extreeeeemely close second! I think the main reason I'm so attached to Castle in the Sky is because of the circumstances in which I watched the movie! :o It's kinda hard to explain, but, umm... the day I watched Castle in the Sky also happened to be one of the most precious days I've ever lived. I'll never forget how it felt watching this movie with my special someone. <333 Witnessing Pazu and Sheeta's bond, cheering them on together, putting ourselves in their shoes, and admiring all of the scenery... it almost felt as if we were living within the movie ourselves. By the end of it all, it felt like our own bond had become even stronger than ever before! ^-^ My heart was squealing so intensely during the movie (and after it, too!!) that I'm sure it must have exploded multiple times over! In fact, I think I can still feel the effects of those explosions right now, ehehe. It was such a lovely, surreal experience, and I wish I could relive that day again and again! ❤

Hurray, welcome to the club, Revise! <3 Two is as good a start as any. :D We'll make a Ghibli connoisseur of you yet!

As for your choice of favourites... indeed, when there are outside forces that shape something into a precious memory, it holds a special meaning that puts it above all others of its kind. That happened to me with Castle in the Sky! Such a treasured day for me as well, hee hee. While Spirited Away personally represents a precious part of growing up, Castle in the Sky now symbolises a whole new stage in my life; a stage where I have grown up, and discovered things I never knew before. <3 Also, Pazu and Sheeta are by far the most adorable Ghibli pair. xP

Sooo, what was your favourite song/moment from that day? :D

Ys

Wandering Spirit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
Thank you Hyzenthlay! And yes, absolutely, she grows a lot. What I meant is that Haku helping her is explained because they had sort of met before, and he recognizes her. The other points are from her going beyond her duties. For example, no one told her to unclog the water spirit and yet she did. No-face helped her with the tags to get more water, amd even though that's not outwardly explained, I think I can understand the sentiment. Most of No-Face's encounters had been greedy, and Chihiro only accepted the tags outt of need. Anyway, there's a lot I could talk about, like you, but I think the movie Is beautiful without really needing all of it explained.

Also, I related to what you said here:
Also, Chihiro is truly an inspiration to me. She's the kind of heroine that every young girl needs. A lot of media projects female protagonists as needing magical powers, incredible beauty or sheer badassery (often all three) to even justify their place as a heroine, but Miyazaki shows that you can be a vulnerable, skinny, incompetent kid and become someone capable of anything, all while staying true to yourself!
Also, I don't mind you talking all you want about it ^-^

Anyway, I saw Howl's Moving Castle and watched most of Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky, but not all of it since I didn't really get them. I want to watch My Neighbor Totoro sometime.

As for favorite character, definitely Chihiro and Haku. Both are great, and I love their interactions. Haku is really kind and his dragon form is also beautiful and majestic. Even though the design was a bit weird.

Years
Name: Leaf

Favourite movie (and why): I love Spirited Away and The Cat Returns a lot both equally. Spirited Away I fell in love with the story and how beautiful it looked animation wise as well all the characters too. My favorites I loved are the Soot Sprites and Chihiro in the movie. I really loved how chihiro changed as a person throughout the movie and grew to become better and braver. As for The Cat Returns I love Barron and Haru. Barren so dashing, cute and very cool as for Haru a girl not sure of herself grew as well as a person in the movie and found herself, I liked that she found confidence and her own bravery in herself to be herself and no one else.

Years
Name: Ash Ketchup

Favourite movie (and why):

I like witches... I like fun, cute, easy to watch movies... I bet you can tell what's coming next!

I've always had a real soft spot for Kiki's Delivery Service, it just never fails to put a smile on my face :)

I also have a soft spot for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, because it was my first Ghibli film way back when. Okay... I know it's not actually a Ghibli movie, but I include it anyway :)

Totoro... just <3

Grave of the Fireflies never fails to make you cry, and will be the movie Isao Takahata is best remembered for, but I am also very fond of his others. The Tale of Princess Kaguya is a very fitting end to his legacy, it was a truly amazing film!

Spirited Away is often seen as Miyazaki's masterpiece, and a masterpiece it is. I love it to bits, and will never get tired of watching it, but I'm not one of those who call it his best movie. I think it's one of his best movies!

Another favourite of mine, and a real contender for Miyazki's best, is Princess Mononoke. I am a child of nature, a girl of the forests, and I just love this film so much!!!

This is off the top of my head, and I haven't seen some Ghibli movies for quite some time. I am planning a full re-watch soon. I seem to remember really liking Whisper of the Heart, and I forgot about Pom Poko, and, Ponyo, and Howl and... arghhhhh ALL OF THEM. I LOVE ALL OF THEM!

Last edited:
Years
Name: Knight of Legendaries
Favorite movie: either Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, or Castle in the Sky. Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service were some of my favorite movies for a while, and Princess Mononoke is amazing. I like Spirited Away, but I didn't really love it like I did the others.

Years
I don't know how I overlooked this club for so long! I am a massive Ghibli fan, and have been for years! As of late, I've re-watched a lot of my old favourites and have discovered new ones as well! Thus, I must present my informal application!

Name: Ninetales

Favourite Ghibli Film: Howl's Moving Castle. This movie is absolute perfection. One of my favourite movies of all-time. Howl and Sophie have such undeniable chemistry and seeing their story unfold on screen is magical. The film is full of fun, eclectic characters, and truly offers something indescribably special to viewers! I would want nothing else than to take a trip on Howl's famous moving castle, and to experience all of the magic within!!

Years
As I have yapped about already, Spirited Away is my favorite Studio Ghibli movie. I found a cool video about some of the elements of Shintoism and creatures from Japanese folklore that may inspire some of the magical spirits encountered on Chihiro's journey. I think that's part of what always has appealed to me about this movie on a subconscious level, so many different kami.

Belated, but my favorite character from Spirited Away is Noface, and he would be one of the most curious ones to explain the origins of. Noh theater is part of it, but it feels like there's more going on too.

Lina posting about Howl has reminded me that I have got to finish reading the novel Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. It was off to a lovely start.

Years
It's been awhile, but I just got motivated to come here when I saw this.

Has anyone seen the trailer for the upcoming Hayao Miyazaki film- The Boy and the Heron? I think it looks great!

Back