• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tips for a Beginner?

Years
I'm asking all the rom hackers on here for tips and such, because I do want to start, but I'm going into this blind. I intend on reading the guides in this thread as soon as I can, but they look like they'll be a long read, so I was wondering if anyone has any quick tips for a complete beginner. Helpful advice, your favourite programs, anything that can help me get started would be greatly appreciated!

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I'm asking all the rom hackers on here for tips and such, because I do want to start, but I'm going into this blind. I intend on reading the guides in this thread as soon as I can, but they look like they'll be a long read, so I was wondering if anyone has any quick tips for a complete beginner. Helpful advice, your favourite programs, anything that can help me get started would be greatly appreciated!

You could try this video series if you're a visual learner:
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369646

Years
Thanks! I'll check it out when I get the chance. I'd like to learn as much as I can before I start, since I've never really done something like this before!

And while I don't expect much, I was wondering if there are any in-depth text tutorials too, since video tutorials take a fair bit of time to get through. I'm mostly asking because I want to do a big project, so I need as much information as possible

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
If you're just starting out, this post might be of some help to you =) it contains lots of links to popular tools, tutorials and resources to save you combing through the section to find the best ones. I've picked out some tool and tutorial links for you that should be enough to get you started!

Now, if you were interested in using Emerald as your base, just to make you aware of an alternative that's available to you - decompiled Emerald! To read about the differences check out this post. It's initially tricky to set up but 100% worth it imo once you're up and running! It's totally up to you whatever you'd like to choose, though - many people find using tools to hack easier. Best of luck!

Years
Thanks a bunch! I was already using a few of these tools, but I'll be sure to check out the others! My only problem now is the video tutorials I've been using don't work too well for me, but I'll see if I can find a text based one!

Back