• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

1. ...Sorry, I /probably/ contributed to popularizing the idea of a long term RP. Though, even my RPs have clearly defined ends in sight in their plots, so I can't take all the credit for what you see. |D Most Rps do not finish for one reason or another. I find that this tends to be for activity related reasons. There's many things you can do to try and reduce the chances of an RP dying, most notably taking precautions. I find it's best to enjoy an RP in the present, rather than waiting for the finale the entire way.
I've heard of Long-Term/Never-ending RPs on other forums and sites, but seldom did I see them on PC before you (though there might've been, I can't really remember the RPs from years back). I actually had an idea for one a while back (well, not too long ago, just a few weeks ago, before I knew about PKMN Fallout), but I wasn't sure how it'd do.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'd want to play a RP with a short planned storyline and a definite goal! That way I could probably keep up interest throughout the game and see it finish and then move on to other things :3 because while it might be epic and awesome with really long running RPs, sometimes you get into the mood of playing a certain genre or franchise only for a short while before you might get bored of it. In those cases, it's better to wrap the RP up and end it than to slowly let it fade away. Of course... if all the players feels the same way, it usually fades away no matter what the GM plans xD

um, I apologize if this post made little sense when it comes to grammar and stuff, it's way too late here and I just read the end of the Shugo Chara manga and cried my eyes out xD <3

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'd want to play a RP with a short planned storyline and a definite goal! That way I could probably keep up interest throughout the game and see it finish and then move on to other things :3 because while it might be epic and awesome with really long running RPs, sometimes you get into the mood of playing a certain genre or franchise only for a short while before you might get bored of it. In those cases, it's better to wrap the RP up and end it than to slowly let it fade away. Of course... if all the players feels the same way, it usually fades away no matter what the GM plans xD

um, I apologize if this post made little sense when it comes to grammar and stuff, it's way too late here and I just read the end of the Shugo Chara manga and cried my eyes out xD <3
Igiari! If you were jst crying then your eyes should have more moisture, and should therefore be able to spot your textual errors. I will now proceed to nitpick about your mistakes.

...Or I would, but I'm already squinting using my computer on my 60 inch. You win this round, RHCP.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
I thought that's what you looked like Zerin.

No idea what's going on. Been in a job orientation, have a 10-minute break right now so yeah. So new topic.

Do you enjoy RPing here with people & friends?

Hope this is a good enough topic.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Hey everyone! Megan's recent foray into Roleplaying has inspired me to check this forum out, so here I am. I've read the Helpful Guides mentioned in the Rules, so I have a basic understanding of what goes on here (I'm kinda ashamed to admit I had no idea what roleplaying actually meant in an internet context!) but have a few questions, if peeps will indulge me:

1. How long does an average RP actually last? All of the threads I've looked at so far are decidedly on-going and don't show any time of stopping.
  2. In addition, what percentage, roughly, of RPs actually finish? I imagine if these go on for months on end, that people wouldn't be able to complete them due to real life complications and stuff.
  3. Do GMs always have to roleplay themselves, or can they just stand on the sidelines and control the plot twists and turns without actually making a character themselves?
  4. How upfront do GMs have to be plot twists e.g. can a GM tell a roleplayer at the beginning of the game in secret that their character is going to turn evil when he or she gets to Viridian City, or does that have to emerge later in the game?
Thanks to anyone who answers these. And, as a feeble attempt to stay on topic: yes, I like waffles. :D

Greetings. I rule this place.

1. Generally, it varies. According to the finished section, some last as little as a month, others a few months, and some much longer. The average for the ones that have finished have been about 2-3 months. Although recently, those that have remained active for longer periods of time and strive to finish have gone beyond that point.

2. Well, let's put it this way. In 2011, only 3 RPs managed to finish (one of them being mine), and that actually would be considered a 'good' year for finished Rps. 1 finished in 2010, and before that, not a single one finished in all of 2009.

3. You don't have to participate in the RP itself. You can choose to if you life, but generally, a GM can choose whether he participates or not.

4. I generally believe it would be much more rewarding to the RPers if certain secrets are withheld, especially unexpected ones relating to the plot. However, shared secrets can be also kept between multiple people via PM and revealed to the rest of the participating RPers at another point in time. However, I've known GMs to reveal secrets ahead of time to their RPers, especially twists and story involving the plot. It never actually turns out too great, as the RPers tend not to be as interesting/looking forward to that certain part as they already know what's going to happen. Still, it should be up to the GM to decide. I recommend against it.

-Grayscale-

яιѕєη ƒяσм тнє ๔єα๔...
Years
Hey everyone! Megan's recent foray into Roleplaying has inspired me to check this forum out, so here I am. I've read the Helpful Guides mentioned in the Rules, so I have a basic understanding of what goes on here (I'm kinda ashamed to admit I had no idea what roleplaying actually meant in an internet context!) but have a few questions, if peeps will indulge me:

1. How long does an average RP actually last? All of the threads I've looked at so far are decidedly on-going and don't show any time of stopping.
  2. In addition, what percentage, roughly, of RPs actually finish? I imagine if these go on for months on end, that people wouldn't be able to complete them due to real life complications and stuff.
  3. Do GMs always have to roleplay themselves, or can they just stand on the sidelines and control the plot twists and turns without actually making a character themselves?
  4. How upfront do GMs have to be plot twists e.g. can a GM tell a roleplayer at the beginning of the game in secret that their character is going to turn evil when he or she gets to Viridian City, or does that have to emerge later in the game?
Thanks to anyone who answers these. And, as a feeble attempt to stay on topic: yes, I like waffles. :D

1: Months, if it can be kept and managed well. Most finished roleplays are at least 2 or 3 months old with hundreds, maybe a thousand or so of good posts inside depending on the members and how active it is. Many roleplays do end up dying out, but I've seen some of them last for half a year or longer (*cough*POKEMONTRAINERACADEMY*cough*)

2: Ehh, it's kinda rare, actually. But the few out of the majority end up getting a lot of praise for putting in so much hard work. In my experience of being here for about a year, I've been in at least 30 Roleplays and only gotten into one that finished. I'd say that if you have truly devoted Roleplayers and a good, fun plot, you've got yourself a winner. Its also very helpful to have a good GM managing the members and keeping track of the activity, since that's very important.

3: Personally, as a GM I like to get involved into the roleplays I make, but you can always sit on the sidelines and guide the people who join. Sometimes it's even easier that way.

4: This is a tough one, aha... it can work, but normally a GM does not dictate other characters like that whatsoever. A good GM works out compromises, and organizes events/plot twists while making sure everyone is comfortable with it. Time of the change doesn't matter really in my opinion. A lot of what Vegeta said above also works.

Welcome to the RP Corner, broski.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Everyone posts too much while I'm at work. :(

And I'll be posting the submissions when I get home. At the moment, I'm waiting for my lift while listening to a toddler scream. Uggdidhdjdjsjsjjajahhs

Plus I have university to attend to and I gotta fix up the RPAs and work tomorrow uuuggggggg YOU GAIZ.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years
Am I the only one that feels like people are intent on correcting every little thing I write?

No, I think that maybe you're being a little bit sensitive about things. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to seem like I'm targeting you too~

... DID SOMEONE SAY WAFFLES?! Oh dear god the mods are invading!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Thanks to everyone who answered my quick questions! Number 4 seemed to throw people a bit, so I think I need to clarify what exactly I meant with an example.

Say you have an RP with about 6 people, and it's a standard let's-go-on-a-Pokemon-adventure-together-and-beat-Team-Rocket-and-become-the-champion type roleplay. However, unbeknownst to the rest of the RPers, one of the crew is secretly an agent working for Team Rocket trying to infiltrate the gang or something. How would something like that end up being divulged? Would it have to come out during sign-ups, thereby removing any sense of mystery? Would a GM tell that person after all the SUs are completed that he or she is in fact evil? Would a GM just spring it on people at random that one of them is secretly evil? Or is this type of gameplay manoeuvring just not done at all?

I'm not actually planning to do any of this, but these thoughts just kept crossing my mind when I was reading Mika's very good guide... and I guess I just wanted some clarification. Thanks again to those who answer. :D

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Thanks to everyone who answered my quick questions! Number 4 seemed to throw people a bit, so I think I need to clarify what exactly I meant with an example.

Say you have an RP with about 6 people, and it's a standard let's-go-on-a-Pokemon-adventure-together-and-beat-Team-Rocket-and-become-the-champion type roleplay. However, unbeknownst to the rest of the RPers, one of the crew is secretly an agent working for Team Rocket trying to infiltrate the gang or something. How would something like that end up being divulged? Would it have to come out during sign-ups, thereby removing any sense of mystery? Would a GM tell that person after all the SUs are completed that he or she is in fact evil? Would a GM just spring it on people at random that one of them is secretly evil? Or is this type of gameplay manoeuvring just not done at all?

I'm not actually planning to do any of this, but these thoughts just kept crossing my mind when I was reading Mika's very good guide... and I guess I just wanted some clarification. Thanks again to those who answer. :D

Well, for type of game maneouvering, the GM wouldn't be able to force the character someone else has made to be evil unless the RP'er agrees with it first. As someone else said, the GM forcing a RP'er to change sides is God-modding, which is a no in the general rules here and in most RP's.

Speaking of RP's, Elder Scrolls: Akatosh's Hourglass has just been accepted, so go join it. There are unlimited spots available, so you can be free to join at anytime.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
@ Cat Mod - it would be godmodding if the GM forced the player to suddenly turn evil, yeah. What they could do is ask via PM if they agree with it, like Elite Killer said.

You're such a good newbieRPer to actually read the guides :D

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022

In this case, it should probably be spoken between that particular person and the GM via PMs, I think. I see no reason to tell the others signing up about it and spoiling the surprise. I don't think, in this case at least, the GM should be allowed to spring that sort of thing onto the RPer without discussing it with them beforehand, unless the RP description suggested that something like that is a possibility. It is sort of godmodding.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
time for a new Topic! :D (also sorry skyrim for that waffle thingy :P)

what are the good things of Pokecommunity? and what could be better?

EDIT: @Zerin- your link to Drake (Ryu) doesn't work :3

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Machomuu: I'm currently writing more guides on RPing. they're just far too large and deep to put into a comprehensive single guide. xD It also takes quite a while to make them ^^; My new guide is focusing on GMing, and is only in the preliminary stages of development at the moment. But hey, if people wanted to help me write it that'd be cool and I could arrange it. There's a credits section of all my guides for a reason. |3

I'll probably leave the guide about how to make quality posts specifically to someone else. You see, what makes a post good aside from proper English and proper length is rather subjective, and shifts with a sort of social metagame that is hard enough to keep track of in and of itself without writing a guide on how to keep track of it. xD

It mostly just involves paying attention to the reactions of RPers to posts and taking risks at times to fish for better reactions.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
@Zerin- your link to Drake (Ryu) doesn't work :3

That's because he's my MINECRAFT character; the RP hasn't started yet, and it in fact needs some players!

NOTICE:
Minecraft needs help!
People who have reserved are taking back their reservations, due to busy lives. Now there's myself (and one possibly reserved player, but I'm having doubts) left, and we need a decent amount before we can begin!

You know, I had an idea that could very much help the RP Corner as well as the RP Lounge...

What if we took all of the inactive/died/locked/deleted RP threads and took the out of RP Corner/Lounge, into an archive?

I know it sounds crazy, but just hear me out with this one. Personally, I have seen the large clutter of RPs scattered over our 2 beloved boards, and while trying to search for new ones, I struggled. The mass amount of listings is beyond me, and I'm likely not the only one who thinks that. I think we should move the unused and otherwise not-needed Roleplay Threads into an archive, that is out of the way but still accessible. That way, the only RPs you would see on the Corner and Lounge are ones that are recently accepted and taking SU's, already active RPs that are still going, and obviously the stickied ones like this. It would be much easier to find your IC/OOC, as well as easy to find a new RP to join. Of course, the Archive would be open for anyone to look through, and still leave the possibility to be revived. I think it would greatly clean up these boards and make it well-known which are still going or just started going. Pleayers would likely join more RPs and with easier access with less searching, there would be much less clutter to dig through, and all-around this would improve the site, or at least I see it as something that would.

Anyone else think this could be a good idea?

_____

On an entirely different note, if you didn't know already, I'm planning to go through an RPing "Supernova", as I'd like to call it, and fairly soon. From then on, a lot of things will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back