• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you get rid of your Pikachu in Yellow?

Did you get rid of it?

• Yes, I did!

Votes: 41 19.8%
  • No, I didn't.

Votes: 166 80.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
As some other people have posted, I emulated Ash's team from the anime. I made sure to have Pidgeotto and Butterfree before I got to Brock. Only exception was that I let all the 3 starters evolve to final form.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I traded with my cousin and we stoned our Pikachus for each other then trade back.

I was a kid back then and got annoyed the already-Raichu stopped following me behind.

Sirfetch’d

The game was based around Pikachu so why would I get rid of him? Sure he wasn't the best but he was adorable and made for a valuable team member :D

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Anyone who says pikachu was weak is wrong.
I didn't had any problem keeping him.
It would always send team rocket blasting off with one attack every pokemon.
And even lorelei's pokemon didn't stand a chance against pikachu if u train him to at least lv. 70.

Years
Pikachu is kind of the entire main point of Yellow, isn't it? I mean, the redone sprites are nice and all, but the game was basically a beta-testing of the would-be Friendship System.
That said, I did try to get rid of the critter once... only to instantly put him back in my team. I was already attached to it.

GryphusHUN

Water-type Champion
Years
Yes, I have get rid of that pain in the you know what..... Hated training it, just hating it today too.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 18, 2013
nah bc i used it so much, it was a high level so i thought, what the hell why not keep it?

Years
Yes, I got rid of my Pikachu. Only because I thought it would be rebellious and also I'm not a fan of Pikachu so I don't really care for it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 2, 2022
Back in the days when I was a kid I obviously kept Pikachu. Didn't even think about getting rid of him.
The last time I played I didn't use him though. I never checked his stats, but I never thought Pikachu was a great Pokémon. It's not very interesting either.

Last time I played yellow (that was 2 years ago) I had the easiest playthrough of all time. Probably because for the majority of the game I only kept 3 Pokémon in my team. That did a huge difference.
I finished the game with this team:
Tentacruel (lvl 44)
Haunter (lvl 46)
Zapdos (lvl 57)
Dugtrio (lvl42)
Charizard (lvl 38)
Farfetch'd (lvl 36)

Actually I didn't even use Dugtrio, Charizard or Farfetch'd for the Top 4 etc. because Tentacruel, Haunter and Zapdos did everything on their own.

If I would play yellow edition again I would get rid of Pikachu at the latest after beating Misty.

-- Matt

Yukari

Pikachu Is my second favorite Pokemon So yeah I kept him, AND It is a good pokemon Because of its high Speed :)

Years
I never got deposited my beloved Sparky! It tottled along behind me from pallet town all the way through the elite four, and it did a pretty good job too! I always used to feel really bad if it got poisoned or burnt cuz it's poor little face looked so sad! My fave expression it did was when it had a flowerpot on its head.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Ohio
  • Seen Dec 23, 2013
I went through once and evolved it into Raichu but regretted it and started over. In the end I had a level 93 Pikachu

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 3, 2013
Get rid of Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow? No way, when the game came out I was in grade 5, my life was all Pokemon and Pika Pika. I kept him around, made me feel like I was playing the anime.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
I did not, I was blinded by the fanboyism at the time. However I still usually have a pikachu on my team, it is a rather good electric type pokemon in my opinion.

Back