• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ddrox13's Regional Pokedex Type Balance Tool (and examples!)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Have you ever wanted to make a custom Pokédex for your Fangame/Hack? Considering you're in this section, I assume the answer is yes.

This is a tool to help visualize the distribution of types (and stats!) of Pokémon in your custom dex.

Just typing in the Pokemon's names, and let google sheets figure out and keep track of types. Probably useless but I figured I'd share it anyway. I just like playing with Excel.

Most Recent Version (1.2, 2/20/19):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qj1hziAkj9j7nhiA3t7lcmsk3zPD59sRlozX3uM6Lcc/edit?usp=sharing

Simply make a copy into your own Google Drive or download as an Excel spreadsheet (though I can't confirm my fancy colours will work on Excel), and type in the names of the Pokemon in your dex in the appropriate column. The types will automatically appear in the next two columns and be counted in the list. They don't have to be in order, so don't worry about the numbers. As you go, the count and the table on that sheet will be live updated with the number of Pokemon of each type in your region.

If you have Fakemon in your dex, you can add them to the database the type search function pulls from by adding them to the bottom of the "Ref" tab, which is on the bottom left of GSheets/Excel. Once the Fakemon and their types are in the database, they can be added to your dex the same way as any other Pokemon.

Just remember - the graph's axes scale automatically, so the bigger the average of the bars is the better balance you have!

Features and stuff:
Spoiler:

Here's the link again if you missed it the first time

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qj1hziAkj9j7nhiA3t7lcmsk3zPD59sRlozX3uM6Lcc/edit?usp=sharing

As some examples....
Here is the chart it makes for most of the main series regional dexes! And some commentary.

Spoiler:

If you have any questions about the tool or suggestions for it, feel free to post them here! I'd also love to see your fangame dex distributions - so feel free to post those here as well (just use a spoiler tag or something to save space).

CHANGELOG AND LEGACY VERSIONS

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
Yeah! Great tool <3

As any good fangamer, I actually rewrote your pokemon's database and put in megas and multiple forms (because we already had a google podedex doc). 450 pokemon including multiple formes and megas.

Pokemon Fission Fusion would like to share our type distributions!

Spoiler:

We seem to have an overrepresentation of the later game types (but we have to include all Radioactive pokemon as it is a custom types). I think we went a little overboard on grassies, and fireboys. We could use some more burbos.

Water, flying and normal are the largest types by number, so it makes sense that they're consistently over-represnted. Kanto was weird with however many poison types they have!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I updated the links in the OP to now go to...

version 1.2 - The stats update

This update adds average stats! That said, it is a little less user pretty, as I moved the Table onto a new tab to save space (though I can move it back if you want).

Also the stats feature is a house of cards that has significant breakage potential but that's okay, right? Also don't ask what happened to 1.1

If you prefer the old (as in, yesterday) look and don't want stats, feel free to use 1.0 - it's in the legacy versions spoiler

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Edit: I've updated this a few times. Version 1.7 can be found here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10472108#post10472108

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back