• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Idea for a pokemon PC game?

Years
Anyone besides me thinking a pokemon game that has elements of games like rune factory, sims 2 and pokemon mystery dungeon would be a cool game? I'm thinking of using the ripped 3d models from other pokemon games, but if anyone knows how the creator of pokemon go legally made his game without getting a cease and desist order I'd appreciate any info that I can get on the matter. Is it because it was a fangame and the creator of pokemon go sold the rights to the game that it was legal? If so I think I'll go that route and try to make a game pokemon fans can be proud of.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
The Pokémon Go team must have paid for a license to use Pokémon in their game. I say "their" because it was developed by a relatively large, well-funded team. … Actually, having read that Wikipedia page it looks like in addition to the $30m they would have been gifted a license to make a Pokémon game.

I'm not aware of Pokémon Go existing before/outside-of Niantic, and Wikipedia doesn't even hint that was the case so I'm not sure where the idea of it being a fangame with a creator has come from, but then I'm not an expert on Pokémon history so I could be wrong.

I haven't had much success with forming game dev teams... Most of the time people quit on me for reasons I cannot fathom, or they are dishonest and steal my work before leaving my team and refusing to respond to me.
On this topic, I think that's just to be expected when you grab random strangers off the internet. Not saying there aren't good, motivated people out there, but those people tend to have a lot of options available to them and so end up being very picky about the teams they join (often so they can avoid taking a risk on those teams that might run out of steam and collapse). I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I'd not join a team unless everyone else was approximately as skilled (in whatever area they specialize in) as I am, and that's not even the only thing I'd be looking for.

Turns out that making a game is a bunch of work, and it's often hard for people to keep their motivation high, especially when they're working with people they don't know (and doubly-so if it feels like there are people on that team that aren't pulling their weight).

Last edited:
Years
The main reason I got the impression pokemon go was a fangame is because I was told that the creator was an autistic teen, so maybe a particular wealthy one? Wealthier than I originally perceived at least... So basically I couldn't make a pokemon game even if it was a non profit fangame, or I sold it to Nintendo? That kinda sucks...

Back