• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to prevent Emerald sound corruption

linkandzelda

Ex-rom hacker turned indie game developer
Years
I just wonder to myself who would ever think that "00" was free space on the ROM (did LU-OH think that)? Because... I always knew... "FF" meant that it was free space... in other words... it's just a white area. lol

Example:
00 - blank (the null of the ROM data... as in it's just... black)

FF - nothing (whiteness)

Oh and by the way... thank you so much for the tutorial, I'm sure this will help me with my hacks... if I ever make a ROM Hack of Pokémon Emerald. :)

Because I will be creating a hack a pretty soon... once I get my new laptop back next week. It will be called "Pokémon: Dimentions of Time", which will indeed be a hack of Pokémon Emerald. I hope to learn more about hex editing... and of course... ASM editing sooner or later.

Lu-ho made a simple mistake. R/S have free space from 0x6B0000 (or rather 00s. At least I think so) he just guessed Emerald was the same without actully checking it. Causing overwriting of the instruments. I'm not saying that 00 is free space, but i'm saying i think from my offset its like filler data. I did relevant tests to check if the game actully uses it (filled the whole lot with random data) and it had no effect on gameplay or music.

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2011
Thanks for this topic, it has been very useful, but regarding the rom expansion, I'm still getting an error saying that there's no free space left whenever I try to compile a script with XSE, though I filled the expanded rom with FF bytes. How can I solve this?

Years
Thanks for this topic, it has been very useful, but regarding the rom expansion, I'm still getting an error saying that there's no free space left whenever I try to compile a script with XSE, though I filled the expanded rom with FF bytes. How can I solve this?

Before everything else in the script, type in:

#freespace 0xFF

Years
  • Seen yesterday
I don't know if thread revival is allowed here, but the only instruments that get corrupted are the Multi-samples and then the instruments are uneffected, it's only the 'address2' of the multi-sample that gets corrupted.

Arctic Eagle

Lone Bird
Years
Here's what you need to do:

1. Open up your AdvanceMap folder
2. Open up the ini folder
3. Click on "AdvanceMap"
4. Scroll down to where it says "[Version:BPE]"
5. Change "SuchByte=$00" into "SuchByte=$FF"
6. Change "SuchBeginn=$6B0000" into "SuchBeginn=$E3CF64"

Now you can safely do whatever you want in Emerald on AdvanceMap, without worrying about the sound corruption. If you open up an Emerald rom in a hex editor and go to 0xE3CF64, you'll notice that from here on until the end of the rom is FF bytes, and unfortunately, there's not much space left. So I recommend expanding the rom to 32mb using XSE, and make sure you fill with FF bytes.

At last, now I know what I need to do.Thanks for the tips. I was wondering what all those annoying beeps were in the tracks. Of course I thought it was track corruption but now I know how to fix it even though I have already added many new maps without any event data except for a couple of warps and map connections, so I will have to copy all the new maps I created along with all the sprites, tilesets and worst of all, I will have to redo all the text I edited.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
I really hate to dwell on an old thread but this is the only one I found to fix the issue, however I have no idea how to make a hack, so I was wondering has anyone done this yet and can they link me to the rom so I can download it?

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
As far as I know you just have to reinsert the sample map of the broken instruments to fix. Had this problem a few times (not caused though) by myself and it was pretty easy to fix.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
All the advice is great and all but all I really want is someone to link me to a rom of this with the sound fixed, that's it lol. I'm not a hacker or emu-fixer myself and have no plans to be one, I simply want the gamed fixed and ready to download.

bitelaserkhalif

Falcon Punch!!
Years
Thank You,it's worked fine as good as perfect!
But, I have an example of sound corruption:
-Blaziken cry absent
-Nuzleaf cry is messed mix of some pokemon cry.

Is there's any relation PKSV scripting with sound corruption? What hex PKSV could think for free space, FF or 00?I had the same problem about lack of Blaziken's Cry.

EDIT again:Now I'm not hacking emerald again, but this thread also explain why my nuzleaf cry messed up with very high sound.

Last edited:
Back