• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red/Blue - Gen. II Graphics And Music Patch V2.0 [FINAL VERSION RELEASED]

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
I'm playing this on Lameboy(GBC emulator for DS)I have to say I'm impressed by the improvements, my only wish would be a complete graphical overhaul of the overworld, but that can prove to be difficult.

Someone mentioned music, I'm interested in seeing how that would play out.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
I'm playing this on Lameboy(GBC emulator for DS)I have to say I'm impressed by the improvements, my only wish would be a complete graphical overhaul of the overworld, but that can prove to be difficult.

Someone mentioned music, I'm interested in seeing how that would play out.
Hey, Lameboy is my emulator too :P
And full CGB capability for the overworld is a potential update for the far future, but no one hold their breath. For now, it has gotten all the color updates it's gonna get.
And I'll have more news regarding the music very soon, hopefully! Stay tuned! :D

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
This hack seems interesting. Though, I do kind of wish you made it for Blue and Yellow as well.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Alright, version 1.1 is posted! It includes quite a few updates:
I imported the GSC Kanto tileset for tileset 0.
I updated all the OW palettes to match the GSC Super Gameboy palettes. (Mostly to make the flower look normal. Without the GSC palettes, the flowers look goofy. But then it turned out that I actually really liked the look of it. I think the GSC OW palettes add alot to the gameplay.)
I fixed the pictures of the gym leader's faces in the trainer card to match the actual GSC sprites that are in the game.
And most importantly, this version includes a few new songs from GSC!
In this version, you'll fine the GSC trainer battle, wild battle, and leader battle themes along with several GSC instruments added in as well. This was all brought to you by FroggestSpirit!
If you've already downloaded 1.0, visit the first post to redownload it and get in on all the new updates!
If you haven't downloaded this yet, what are you waiting for??

And now the .zip and .ips don't have the accent over the 'e' so no one's unarchiving tool or patching tool should give them any problems. :P

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
Alright, version 1.1 is posted! It includes quite a few updates:
I imported the GSC Kanto tileset for tileset 0.
I updated all the OW palettes to match the GSC Super Gameboy palettes. (Mostly to make the flower look normal. Without the GSC palettes, the flowers look goofy. But then it turned out that I actually really liked the look of it. I think the GSC OW palettes add alot to the gameplay.)
I fixed the pictures of the gym leader's faces in the trainer card to match the actual GSC sprites that are in the game.
And most importantly, this version includes a few new songs from GSC!
In this version, you'll fine the GSC trainer battle, wild battle, and leader battle themes along with several GSC instruments added in as well. This was all brought to you by FroggestSpirit!
If you've already downloaded 1.0, visit the first post to redownload it and get in on all the new updates!
If you haven't downloaded this yet, what are you waiting for??

And now the .zip and .ips don't have the accent over the 'e' so no one's unarchiving tool or patching tool should give them any problems. :P

Ehhhh....I kinda like the old battle music more, the gym leaders anyways...I don't have to change saves do I? Also, maybe you could change the main sprites like for gym leaders? That might be hard since it seems the gym leader OWs are just main OWs and since that's the case they don't have their own custom bank or whatever, in other words, replacing them would replace the other related sprites..so I guess to fix that would be through ASM to insert a new bank for those sprites.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Ehhhh....I kinda like the old battle music more, the gym leaders anyways...
The first post now has a download to the V1.1 patch without the music added in.
I don't have to change saves do I?
Nope! :)
Also, maybe you could change the main sprites like for gym leaders?
Right here, what do you mean by main? If you mean the actual sprite for Brock, Misty, etc. I've already replaced them with their sprites from GSC.
That might be hard since it seems the gym leader OWs are just main OWs and since that's the case they don't have their own custom bank or whatever, in other words, replacing them would replace the other related sprites..so I guess to fix that would be through ASM to insert a new bank for those sprites.
But about their overworld sprites, that is something I'm considering for a future update. There are alot more OW sprites in GSC and it would be nice to figure out how to add in the extra OWs into this hack.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
Not to be picky, but I feel if you just touched up on the gym leader sprites and kept them it would have a more...profound feel. I know that might not be easy if you're no pixalist but it just doesn't feel that Red takes place 3 years before Gold because of the new sprites for the gym leaders...

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
The screen in your post are in color but my rom is in black and white. Why? :(

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
It depends on the emulator you're using. I'm no expert in emulators and I don't know specifics about every kind out there. But I know bgb and Lameboy will display in color. I know Meboy cannot display in color.
If you're using VBA, its default setting won't disply in color but you can go to Options->Gameboy->SGB and that will allow all gen I ROMs to play in color.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
Nope.
RBY sprites are dreadfully awful.

Are these awful? These are my revamps that I worked on over a year ago when working on my Blue remake.

The reason why "Blue" is in green was to reflect that his original name was Green.
Spoiler:

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
Danny E, this looks awesome!

I feel like playing pokémon gold now ahaha

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Are these awful? These are my revamps that I worked on over a year ago when working on my Blue remake.

The reason why "Blue" is in green was to reflect that his original name was Green.
Spoiler:
Haha, right before I hit "show" on the spoiler, I was thinking "Could this really be... tysonrss?"
Anyway, I really can't stand RBY sprites, it's not that your revamps aren't good enough.
I'll stick with the GSC sprites. Thanks though.

YORAMRW

8-bit producer & Pokémon GB music hacker
Years
Now, it's a good idea to make a Pokémon Gold/Silver hack in Red/Blue style!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Haha, that would be a challenge, but I'll keep it in mind. :P

DCson17

a modest hacker
Years
Waow.
This is amazing.
I've only gotten up to the second gym, but this hack is amazing. I've always loved the first gen's stories and everything the best, but refuse to play as the graphics weren't up to par. Now I have the best of both worlds. xD

FenrirDarkWolf

Water Musician Fenrir
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
I must say, I've just started playing this hack, but, I like it. It's kinda cute and nostalgic, especially since I played Gen I games as my first.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Great! Cute and nostalgic is kinda exactly what I'm goin' for! :)

Back