• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: 2D/Fake Soaring in the Sky/Eon Flute for R/S/E/FR/LG

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Thanks for the feedback. I did try to add the fly animation at the start, but couldn't get any to work. The field effect system is largely undocumented and fairly complex, so I haven't figured out how it all works yet. I'd also want to have a larger, more detailed map, but I don't have the art skills to make one. I do plan on adding wild encounters. I'm pretty busy at the moment, but I will improve this soaring feature if it gets enough popularity.

Please do continue when you have the time, this is brilliant! Can help with art stuff if needed.

EDIT: Moved to R&D

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
There is something I just want to point out.
Cons:
-I'm not sure if it is possible to disable the access to menu while at the Sky OW map...
-I'm not also sure if the script for Fly animation can be copied, disassembled and modified the way I mentioned above without messing up the hack...
-Too much scripts, especially for the landing scripts...
-No 3D...
-Unfortunately, I can't do this one... And I have no time to study GBA ASM/C as of this moment...

Actually, it is completely possible to implement 3D objects into a Game Boy Advance game, it just has to be very limited 3D and can only be done in mode 7 (making it look somewhat like how the Super FX2 games on the SNES looked like), due to the very limited nature of the ARM7 core. Doing so would need some Assembly or C language code to ensure that the triangles have textures or a colour and to be viewable from every camera angle. The ARM7 core is completely compatible with 3D objects. In fact, there are some games that make very good use of it too, such as Crazy Taxi.

It probably wouldn't hurt to also experiment with adding some triangles on the ground to act as some terrain as well.

camthesaxman

reverse engineer of teh pokeymanz
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
I believe it is possible to do some basic polygons using rotated/scaled sprites. I might consider doing this for mountains, if I can figure out the math. But a completely 3D world with hills and valleys everywhere would require a completely different rendering approach, and getting a decent framerate and draw distance would be tough. If you've seen games like Crazy Taxi and Super Monkey Ball Jr., the framerate and draw distance are absolute crap, and I REALLY like having 60 FPS.

With my current approach, I can have a 1024x1024 floor, which is divided into 8x8 tiles, which means a grid of 128x128 tiles. If we limit the flying height and the draw distance, I could dynamically load chunks of the map as the player flies around, making an infinitely sized map possible. The main limitations is that the map can only use 256 different tiles, so we have to carefully choose what tiles we want to have.

Oh, and I haven't touched the scripts at all. Everything so far has been done in C with the pokeruby disassembly.

P.S. Thanks, wobb and Tetrable for the Latios/Latias sprite.

Last edited:

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 14, 2019
How can i add this to my pokemon fire red rom hack? will there be an ips o anything of some sort? would looooove to have this feature would give credit to those who did it of course

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Wonderfull Work. How can I implment that script into the hacks?
How can i add this to my pokemon fire red rom hack? will there be an ips o anything of some sort? would looooove to have this feature would give credit to those who did it of course

If I'm not wrong, Cam's implementation of the Eon Flute system was specifically designed to work and be used with Pokeruby, the Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire Disassembly and Decompilation Project.

It won't work with Fire Red until the code's ported to Fire Red's Disassembly and Decompilation Project, Pokefirered (which will probably not happen anytime soon considering that it's still on baby steps).

Back