• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] The Capture/Evolution/ Release, etc. Thread

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
With Sun/Moon anime confirmed, it's time for a new capture/evolution/release, etc, thread!​

Use this thread to discuss Ash and Co's captures, and character's potential teams throughout the series. Try to explain why you think a character may have this Pokemon/may catch it in the future, etc. However, please source official news.

You can discuss trades if they happen within the anime or Pokemon given away as well, if you wish. (Which, of course, hasn't happened in a very long time, but you know.)

Now.. to start off, which starter do you think Ash might capture?

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Going on what we saw in the poster, and what I personally believe, Ash will start with Rowlet. Because it looks like Rowlet is with Ash more than Mallow in the poster. I know he has had a lot of flying types in Kalos, but this is a unique chance for him not to catch the true regional bird and to break that pattern. I am really hoping the chill out with flying types this time around for him.
I still also think he might get 2 starter pokemon. But it may be at a much later time similar to Chimchar. I also really want Ash to get a Rockruff. I think it would be perfect for him. I know Kukui has one, but Ash could easily get one as well.

I don't want to get too much into the other characters right now, as we don't know the main traveling group and it looks like it may be a much larger group than normal. Maybe all of them are taking the trials at the same time.

I think Hau will have an Alolan Raichu if he even shows up in the anime. He has a Pichu in the games. I know Tierno had a Raichu, but he kinda got screwed. Not much development and got kicked out of the League before he could battle Ash. Probably because Ash utterly destroyed him with Goodra.

Lillie looks like she will have a Alolan Vulpix
Lana has Popplio. (And maybe Lapras and Sharpedo)
Mallow has Bounsweet.
Sophocles has a Togademaru (Maybe a Tauros)
Kiawe probably has his Alolan Marowhak (And maybe Charizard)
Team Rocket seem to have a Beawear, James' most likely.
And Ash seems to have Rowlet and Pikachu.
Crispy Oak has Alolan Exeggecutor
Kukui has Rockruff.

Litten is just kinda there. Doesn't really go with anyone. You could say Ash because it is in the front, but so does Poppilio and it is obvious that Lana has that.

It is also possible that these are just traveling pokemon with them, so it might not be their's. Tauros, Sharpedo, Lapras and Charizard may not belong to the main. Same goes for Rotom. I don't think Rotom will be a pokemon.

Komala is also just hanging out on top of the giant building in the top left corner. That may suggest someone in the main cast will catch one. Currently I don't know who though. Sophocles maybe, as I think it would just match him more than anyone.

Last edited:
Years
I can't really speculate much at this point. but I do think Rowlet is a high possibility for Ash to catch since Rowlet is close to him on the poster and Rowlet was surprisingly absent from the trailer. I likely suspect it's for spoiler reasons why they hid Rowlet from the trailer, because Ash is going to catch it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
The trailer seems to show Kiawe with a Tortanator. That seems a bit OP for the start. So I wonder if Tortanator actually evolves or is a stand alone.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
The trailer seems to show Kiawe with a Tortanator. That seems a bit OP for the start. So I wonder if Tortanator actually evolves or is a stand alone.

Even if it is base form or stand alone, it seems pretty powerful regardless. He is a trial captain. Plus Iris had an excadrill at the start of Black and white's anime.

As for the catches I see happening, (other then the seemingly confirmed ones)

I hope Ash gets rowlett but he may get litten to it seems or just litten. I also hope the lapras is his from the orange islands as it doesn't have ride on gear, meaning someone owns it.

Something getting the Komala would be a neat addition as well.

And I'm glad TR seem to be getting mimikyu and beware, they are perfect additions to their teams.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I don't want to pick which pokemon Ash might catch right now, but after reading Passimian's description, it sounds almost exactly like Ash usually attracts. And honestly, I wouldn't mind if he caught it. It is one of my favorite fighting types already due to the description alone. The only problem, it is a fighting type lemur. And although lemurs are not monkeys, Ash already has 2 fighting type monkeys if you want to count Primeape. I would much rather him to catch Mudsdale.

There are so many pokemon that I want Ash to catch already. I am gonna have a hard time in the anime about guessing who gets what.

Ash usually catches a Fighting Type in every Generation, Primeape, Heracross, Infernape, Scraggy/Pignite, and Hawlucha. So I wouldn't mind if they pull a Hoenn and not let him catch a fighting type.

And although I know people don't like it much, I really hope Ash catches more than 5 pokemon. The way they handled his pokemon in XY, didn't real sit too well with me. Noivern really got crapped on. I also hope they are more evenly spread out. They were doing fine until After the 5th Gym.

I also hope the main catch cast in general are better. Clemont didn't catch anything after Luxray and Serena didn't even get a same pokemon of Ash's like they usually do. It would have been perfect to give her a Starter that Ash had. All and all, the pokemon catches were not handled well in XY, which to me was the only down fall of XY and XYZ.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Spoiler:

Years
Greninja getting released back into the wild? I was seriously expecting it to be Oaked like his starters (and other previous gen Pokemon) usually always tend to do, but I guess the special power Greninja has means he can't leave Kalos.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Spoiler:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
I feel the writers are all trying to make us upset. Because we all know that a lot of us still aren't getting over the apparently villainous Alain becoming the Kalos League champion.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Add me to the crew of people thinking he is going to start with Rowlet. Either him or Popplio.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Nah, I don't see Greninja being released. That's got to be set up to look like it. If anything that takes place before it's power is drained.

As for Alola catches. Feeling Passimian for Ash or Lycanroc midnight form. They both fit well with Ash and could make for good arcs.

Years
Nah, I don't see Greninja being released. That's got to be set up to look like it. If anything that takes place before it's power is drained.

I think the scenario I see happening is that Greninja is recognized as a Hero of Kalos and therefore, has to stay in Kalos meaning Ash ends up releasing him. Keep in mind that he was also born at the Ninja Village so they'd naturally want him to stay and protect their village.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
I think the scenario I see happening is that Greninja is recognized as a Hero of Kalos and therefore, has to stay in Kalos meaning Ash ends up releasing him. Keep in mind that he was also born at the Ninja Village so they'd naturally want him to stay and protect their village.

The first part I could see happen, it's fitting, but still pretty sad and a slight let down imo.

And is it actually born in the village? I know the village had the prophecy indicating Ash greninja save their villages thousands of years ago, but was froakie actually bred there?

And what's the source for this image?

Years
So do we have any confirmed SM saga captures so far? I'll be brutally honest: I haven't kept track of much regarding the new saga. :x

Years
So do we have any confirmed SM saga captures so far? I'll be brutally honest: I haven't kept track of much regarding the new saga. :x

Nope, nothing confirmed as of yet. The promotional material has been very ambiguous, aside from a small screenshot shown in CoroCoro showing Lana owning a Popplio.

Back