• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Community-made Mystery Dungeon Starter Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Logo3_zpsa64b6d44.png

I haven't been here in a while, but while I'm off I do hatch quite a few ideas; many of which I'm sure others on this community have had but have not put-forth:
I have no idea how many people on this community like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, but for those who do and want to build a fangame; they have to start from scratch and script everything - and in doing so making most, if not, all of the scripts private - which got me thinking; "Why not make a kit where the scripts are public?" Although my scripting knowlege is far below 0, as a community (for those who like the mystery dungeon games and for those who just like contributing) we could pull through a successful kit fairly easily.
I know there is CNG's kit, but is wasn't the best. It was a couple of scripts and no battle system, but I think it's high-time we, of this community, pulled through a working kit which could enable more mystery dungeon fangames on this community, as it is very rare that we ever have a different sort of fangame around here that doesn't revolve around pokémon essentials and it would be good to see things around here that deliver more variety to this forum, different sorts of Pokémon fangames and so on.

Why don't we do this?

Current Progress:

Spoiler:

Current Contributors:

Rayquaza.
Angelican
Varion

Last edited:

Zodiac.

Flannary Returns!
Years
Come to think of it, it's a very good idea. It'd be better to have a community-made kit because it would give everyone (who contributed) a sense of achievement and it would take less time to develop.

That aside Mystery dungeon is a whole lot more complex than regular Pokémon games, and the tiles are very awkward. But we, who love mystery dungeon, really would like one to arise. While I too have no scripting knowledge if this lifts off I will contribute as much to it as possible.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I probably won't be able to do a whole much, mostly getting mugshots, sprites, and organizing them,

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
This is a very nice idea to boot up. In fact, one of my upcoming games is itself related to PMD, so when I fully learn how to script and things I would like to heavily contribute. Until then I'll just help with graphics and stuff; and yes, this Project should be brought forward much.

Yeah I liked CNG's stuff, and he was one of the first to think that way.

Considering the fact that we don't have all the Unova Pokémon's OW sprites under our belt, I think it'd be a good idea to have some made!

Mystery Dungeon is liked by me far as the second best Game System, first being Pokémon Conquest (When the time comes, I will make something for this).

I do hope everyone agrees!

Rayquaza.

Years
Thanks guys. While the graphics side of things are looking-up the script side still needs one or two more players so if you know any who like this idea then please inform them. Many aspects of the PMD games have been ripped already (mainly by the spriters-resource); making the job that bit easier:
E.G.
Spoiler:

Unforntunately there was no PMD DS game for the new gen 5 pokémon and as a result the graphics for anything to do with gen 5 will be custom.

A quick tip for tilers and scripters who are interested:
- Looking into PMD, I have discovered that in total the maps use 2 layers; the bottom layer with everything animated on it and the top layer with everything static.
(Examples in the attachments)

The Aesthetic Aims for this kits succession should include simple script calling methods and tying scripts to the generic RMXP/VX/A event options as much as possible.

Attachments

• Waterfall_1.png
    Waterfall_1.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Waterfall_2.png
    Waterfall_2.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Waterfall_3.png
    Waterfall_3.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Rayquaza.

Years
That'd be a great help. If you could also help in the ripping of graphics that'd be helpful too, particularly the cutscenes like in explorers of time/darkness/sky where primal dialga appears. It's fairly easy with desmume.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
All custom B2W2 mugs (click for original page):

Rayquaza.

Years
Currently there is nothing to build on. Would you be able to help? After all; your scripting knowlege is amazing.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Why for now you wont use HGSS Styled overworlds?

IF it's a PMD engine, HGSS overworld are out of the question. Lack of detail, lack of animations, Only bad 2 framed animations.

It would be better finding someone to sprite the overworlds.
Which I might try later, I'll try Snivy, see how it goes.

Rayquaza.

Years
I agree. But like I said; it won't matter what sprites we use until we actually have some scripts to change an RMXP/VX/A project into a PMD kit.

Another idea popped into my head recently: Instead of scripting from scratch; we use CNG's kit as a base as it already has basic PMD style scripts (but no battle system). I permission is required then I'll ask him.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Ooo! This should be interesting. My scripting knowledge in Ruby is tiny, Java being my 'native' language. I've actually been working on a Java version for a bit. However, In a way, you can model the new battle system off the Essentials one.
a) Moves are largely the same
b) The only major change you make is with the actual battle scene. I'm not on Windows, so I can't have a look at the moment, however, you know that minigame with all the jumping around and stuff? Combine that, with the essentials battle system, do a bit of tweaking, and you *should* be largely done... I think

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I agree. But like I said; it won't matter what sprites we use until we actually have some scripts to change an RMXP/VX/A project into a PMD kit.

Another idea popped into my head recently: Instead of scripting from scratch; we use CNG's kit as a base as it already has basic PMD style scripts (but no battle system). I permission is required then I'll ask him.

I'd help with scripting and stuff, but I lack knowledge.
Only thing I could do is generic Town events.
Or at least try... :/

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Also, which PMD version are we using? Red/Blue had infinite storage, only 2 bag pages, and held items were counted separately, while Time/Darkness/Sky had limited storage that increased as time went on, as with the bag, and held items remained in the bag.

Rayquaza.

Years
Ooo! This should be interesting. My scripting knowledge in Ruby is tiny, Java being my 'native' language. I've actually been working on a Java version for a bit. However, In a way, you can model the new battle system off the Essentials one.
a) Moves are largely the same
b) The only major change you make is with the actual battle scene. I'm not on Windows, so I can't have a look at the moment, however, you know that minigame with all the jumping around and stuff? Combine that, with the essentials battle system, do a bit of tweaking, and you *should* be largely done... I think

Good idea, but even with my puny scripting knowlege I know that when combining scripts you must consider "script compatibility".

Also the mystery dungeon battle scenes aren't exactly the same at all. Most of the battles in PMD happen in maps without transitions.

I'd help with scripting and stuff, but I lack knowledge.
Only thing I could do is generic Town events.
Or at least try... :/

Do you mean like the storage and shops? If not, at least that gives us something to go on.

Also, which PMD version are we using? Red/Blue had infinite storage, only 2 bag pages, and held items were counted separately, while Time/Darkness/Sky had limited storage that increased as time went on, as with the bag, and held items remained in the bag.

Explorers of the Sky.

I'd also hope that this kit has some sort of dual screen in order to add more functionality to it (Like in Time/Darkness/Sky).

Last edited:

Rayquaza.

Years
Precisely, using that graphic that you attached would be ideal. If I remember rightly CNG also made a dual screen script that put the map on the bottom and parralaxes at the top.

Just found something useful here. It's a random dungeon generator for VX (I think) with instructions that are to complicated for me to understand but I think others may be able to.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back